Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Food/Nutrition questions.

we saw the doctor again, and this one (a different doc from last time) said that Lux's size seems fine but that at her age (6 and a half months old) she should be having an oatmeal meal in the morning, and two veggie/fruit meals throughout the day.

right now she is EBF, with one avocado meal in the day, that is mix with an oz of BM, and an infant vitamin.

so she went up to 14lbs now, gained 7oz in the past 2 weeks.

i mean i want to 'work' lux up to 3 meals a day. i am kinda worried about giving her too much, too fast.

are there any websites i can take a look at, or any other mom's opinions about when to introduce more foods. i use my BM in the foods i give her. so i am not worried about what to give her, i am more worried about going too fast.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Food/Nutrition questions.

• We went from once to two and then quickly three after DS's appt.  He loves the solid foods, so he was quite happy that he starting getting three meals a day!  As long as she's handled what you've given so far, just slowly increase it, maybe two per day for a week, and then up it to three if she has no issues, like constipation or other digestive problems.  DS had no issue in quickly going up to three meals, even though I remember waiting a lot longer to do so with DS1.
  • I don't think you can go too fast if you watch her cues.  If she starts refusing, just respect that and stop the solids at that feeding.  As long as you keep breastmilk as her primary intake, I think you're fine.

My LO is 7.5 months old and he just isn't interested in food too much.  I don't sweat it cause he's growing.  So we try a couple of times a day and I consider anything a success. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagejeffsjayme:
    I don't think you can go too fast if you watch her cues. nbsp;If she starts refusing, just respect that and stop the solids at that feeding. nbsp;As long as you keep breastmilk as her primary intake, I think you're fine.My LO is 7.5 months old and he just isn't interested in food too much. nbsp;I don't sweat it cause he's growing. nbsp;So we try a couple of times a day and I consider anything a success.nbsp;

Well said in this post. My DD is small for her age. She is 8 months and just now over 16 pounds. Her pediatrician was enthusiastic about us introducing foods to her but wanted us to do two meals. She wanted to make sure my DD was primarily getting BF. I was confused but she said this is where she will get the most calories. My DD has been on solids now for two months and we are now incorporating a third small meal into her day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejeffsjayme:

I don't think you can go too fast if you watch her cues.  If she starts refusing, just respect that and stop the solids at that feeding.  As long as you keep breastmilk as her primary intake, I think you're fine.

My LO is 7.5 months old and he just isn't interested in food too much.  I don't sweat it cause he's growing.  So we try a couple of times a day and I consider anything a success. 

I agree.  We do formula, so if you don't use bottles it may be easier for me to watch the intake of formula compared to BM.  We make sure she gets at least 20-24 ounces of formula and then let her eat however much she wants in solids.  There have been several days where she wouldn't take her bottle and had to limit the solids because BM/formula has more nutrition babies need than solids.  Did your pedi give you any guidelines like that? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thanks for the help, moms! i have introduced two meals a day, so far with green beans, peas, avocado, and now summer squash. she seems to love them all so far. and eats them with vigor! her poops seems very good too, becoming solid, without any constipation! i was a little worried about all the new foods over taking the BM but she seems to feed on my breast quite well still!

i should add that it appears that she doesn't like oatmeal anymore! i should keep trying it i know, but her little 'ick' face was very cute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"