Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Does your 4/5 month old respond to his name?

I know that my son's hearing is fine - he startles easily and attends to a speaker with good eye contact when you have his attention, however he does not respond to his name. For example, if you call his name, he does not turn to look at you. Do your children respond to their name? When are babies supposed to start responding to his or her name?
image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Does your 4/5 month old respond to his name?

• Our son is 4 months. He doesn't respond to his name yet, just responds to our voices.
  • Mine is almost 5 months and he does. I use his name all the time when I talk to him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is 4 months old and he doesn't always respond to his name.  Sometimes if I'm holding him and someone is talking to him, he'll turn and look at them, and sometimes he doesn't.  Sometimes when we're playing he'll look at me and smile and laugh and other times he just looks all around at other things and won't look at me.  I think it's all normal at this point.
  • I don't know if its her name or my voice that she is responding to. She looks at me and smiles when I talk to her, but I'm not sure which of the two she's responding to. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you don't use their name enough they might not respond to it.  A lot of kids will recognize their own name around 5 months. We have a million silly nicknames for our 5 month old (monkey, baby bear, dinky doo, etc) and I realized recently that I need to start calling him by his name more so he knows it, and now he is responding to it more
  • I actually tried this the other day- He responded to Jack, and to Bob, and to my husbands name. He responds to us trying to get his attention, but not his name. 
  • My DS is 5.5months and yes, he responds to his name : ) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"