Working Moms

Is this too many DCPs?

I recently quit my job and am doing freelance two days per week. I had to move the boys to a new DCP that allows part time care. In the interim they stayed with a good friend of mine while I found the new DCP. I still use her once in awhile for one extra day of work if I need it. So they go to a new place Tues/Thurs and once or twice a month on Wed they go to my friend's house. 

I'm really trying to lose the last 10 pounds of this baby weight and there is a great gym right down the street with a child care center. I have taken them a few times on my days off, but I'm worried this might be too much change and caregiver variety for them, in particular for my younger DS. 

My first DS was in the same in-home daycare every day until he was 3, and so far my younger one has been in three in his first year. He always cries when I drop him off, but everyone says he is fine after I leave.

So, do you think it is too much to take them for an hour twice a week to the daycare at the gym too? I have this fear that I am going to psychologically harm him by leaving him with different caretakers on different days. I'm with them most M/W/F/S/Su except for maybe one date night per month with DH when my mom watches them (they know and love her very well I'm not worried about that one). 

Re: Is this too many DCPs?

• I wouldn't be worried about it, I think its probably better for them to be cared for by a variety of people to avoid separation anxiety. My 2 kids were home with me on ML, then watched FT by my mom. Then my friend started babysitting a couple hours a week for my mom, then she had to stop and we got a new babysitter for those hours. Finally we switched them to a DC center. The kids have adapted great to all of the changes. I also did a free 2 week trial at a gym with childcare during this time period and the kids enjoyed being there too. I didn't join though b/c it was too expensive a gym.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP.  I think it's better that they get used to different caretakers to avoid separation anxiety.  I also think it will help with their social skills, meeting different adults and kids is a good thing. 

I know it happens to a lot of kids but it really drives me crazy when there is a child that will not let go of his mom and constantly says her name and cries when she walks away for 2 seconds to grab water.  Granted if they are in a place full of strangers I understand.  I'm sure I sound very judgy, which of course means it'll probably happen to me!

• Loading the player...
  • I think that is fine.  My kids are in a big center and even there they have tons of different caregivers.  There are two main teachers per classroom but all of the teachers take turns in all of the other classrooms to relieve teachers for breaks, lunch, etc. so that everyone gets to know all the kids.  The directors also help in this rotation, so there are a lot of different faces and personalities.  My DD is old enough now to talk about all of them and it is funny/interesting to hear what she likes and doesn't like about everyone.  I think as long as they are getting good care there is no harm from expanding the number of trusted adults in their circle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOL.  If I told you DS's schedule.....  well, I will.  For the weeks DH works:

Preschool M/W/F mornings.  Monday afternoon and Tuesday are w/ DCP.  Wed afternoon and Thursday are grandparents.  Friday is DCP. 

Then the weeks DH is off, he takes care of DS most of the time that DS would be w/ the DCP.

Another thought - I take DS to the local gym for swim classes.  We walk by their daycare every time.  It has a jungle gym, TV, toys, etc.  He SOOOOO wants to go in there.  It's totally a big playarea! 

We've always had a weird schedule.  There was a time where I had 2 different PT nannies!  DS has adapted to it wonderfully and I honestly think it played a role in why he was never sad about going to preschool when he started this year!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageCrawltheWarriorKing:

I agree with PP.  I think it's better that they get used to different caretakers to avoid separation anxiety.  I also think it will help with their social skills, meeting different adults and kids is a good thing. 

I know it happens to a lot of kids but it really drives me crazy when there is a child that will not let go of his mom and constantly says her name and cries when she walks away for 2 seconds to grab water.  Granted if they are in a place full of strangers I understand.  I'm sure I sound very judgy, which of course means it'll probably happen to me!

LOL. I was judgy about this too... and then I had one.  I swear I didn't do anything differently.

OP -- doesn't sound like too many caregivers to me at all.  I think it's good for kids to get exposed to different people with different strengths/quirks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Like someone else mentioned, kids who are in centers often have many caregivers throughout the day.  My son has 2 in the morning, 2 during the day and 2 closer to pick up.  Plus the director who comes and goes as needed.  No biggie :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"