Babies on the Brain

Questions for the nurses out there.

Alright so I'm a mere 11 days from being done with nursing school and I currently work as an SNA on an acute care med/surg floor on the afternoon shift. My Hub and I are trying to decide when to TTC. I turn 30 in April (Hub turns 31 next month) and I swear my ovaries are yelling "BABIES!" louder every day. 

I plan on taking the NCLEX in February and will more than likely be transitioned into an RN position after that. So, we're wondering when we should really start TTC. Emotionally we're ready to start now but logically I know we should wait until at least February. And yes, I know it's probably insane to have a baby in my first year of nursing but I'm tired of waiting.

When I do get pregnant, when should I tell my manager and coworkers? We do work with isolation patients (AFB, C.diff, etc.) and some patients completely depend on us to move them around. I certainly wouldn't expect to be treated with baby gloves because I still want to do my job well.  

Any advice from nurses (and future nurses) would be helpful and appreciated :) 

Re: Questions for the nurses out there.

• I would wait until you are hired and check into your health benefits. Many policies don't cover pre-existing pregnancies or have a minimum time on the job to cover it. It's only a few more months in the grand scheme of things. Good luck on your NCLEX, it is one scary test!
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • That's a good point. I didn't even think about that. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"