Multiples

2 sets of twins

Curious mind-have any of you had two sets of twins?  I MC fraternal twins 3 years ago and I'm wondering what chances I have of being pregnant with twins again.  Everything I researched said I have about a 1/12 chance which is only 8%.  I'm just curious how many of you are that 8%. Smile

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 sets of twins

• A good friend of mine has a neighbor who had two sets of boy/girl twins, about five years apart. And DH's brother and his wife know a family with THREE sets of twins. No ob
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.Greg:
    A good friend of mine has a neighbor who had two sets of boy/girl twins, about five years apart. And DH's brother and his wife know a family with THREE sets of twins. No ob

I mean, no one I know personally but people love to tell me about all of the people THEY know with twins!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • There is a lady who was a frequent poster (she still may be) who had two sets of twins and then, had trips.
  • I only know one person (who I work with) that has two sets of twins. Hers are identicals though. I think that is different odds than fraternal.

• I have a friend with two sets of twins. She has a set of 13 year old girls and a set of 4 year old boys. Although the girls were conceived spontaneously, she says she did fertility treatments for the boys and "tried for twins" again. Not sure what kind of treatments they did or how much trying, but she does have two sets. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageMelleTX:
    I have a friend with two sets of twins. She has a set of 13 year old girls and a set of 4 year old boys. Although the girls were conceived spontaneously, she says she did fertility treatments for the boys and "tried for twins" again. Not sure what kind of treatments they did or how much trying, but she does have two sets. 

I guess after 9 years those first 6 months become a distant memory and you just remember the good stuff! Stick out tongue  

• There was a poster in my bmb who had 2 sets ID girls. Also a lady my dh works with had twins, single, twins, single or vice versa but she has 6 total.
  • Unless I was 20 or there was a huge age span there is no way I could do twins again! I just couldn't imagine! I work hard enough now with these two! :)
  • Thanks Ladies!  I will find out either way tomorrow.  I'm a little anxious to say the least.
  • First, let me say I really have no idea. But I THINK your odds of conceiving another set of fraternal twins are quite a bit higher than the average person's, if you've already done so once. Especially the older you get. It has to do with your ovulation pattern. Are there any other fraternal twins in your mom or dad's families?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Fraternal twins comes from the mother's side.  I know my chances are 1 out of 12 which is 8%.  Higher than the average person but still not very high.  I just wanted to see how many are in that "small 8%."  I personally don't know of anyone with two sets of twins but as soon as I googled it I realized their are TONS. 
  • imageMrsCoachG:
    Fraternal twins comes from the mother's side.  I know my chances are 1 out of 12 which is 8%.  Higher than the average person but still not very high.  I just wanted to see how many are in that "small 8%."  I personally don't know of anyone with two sets of twins but as soon as I googled it I realized their are TONS. 

Are you saying that fraternal twins only run on your mother's side, or are you saying that only your mother's side matters? If the latter, that's not accurate...

Only your side (as the mother) matters (i.e. not your partner's side) - but both your own mother and your father (grandparents) influence your chances of spontaneous release of multiple eggs. Having fraternals on either your mother's or father's side can influence whether or not you have a higher probability of releasing multiple eggs per cycle.

Keep in mind that an 8% chance of conceiving multiples again is still *much* higher than the normal chances... only about 0.66% of spontaneous pregnancies result in fraternal twins, normally (approximately 1% of spontaneous pregnancies are twins of any kind, and 1/3 of those twins are identical, leaving only about 2/3 of one percent, or 0.66% as fraternal) - that already makes you 12x more likely to conceive fraternals again than the general public has of one chance at fraternals.

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• My grandma's sister had a set of fraternal twins everytime she got pregnant- she had a total of 10 children.
  • this is my second set but both were concieved thru IF meds.. so I'm no help.
  • I don't have a second set but my ob said we had a 75% chance of twins again and a 50% of natural triplets. Between my mom and fathers side I have 8 sets of twins. My ob said that it depends on the family history on what our chances were for having twins again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"