International Bumpies
Options

Waving from the UK (Intro)

I have no idea how I have not seen this board before! I am an American (from Atlanta) living in the UK with my American husband and two British born little ones. We have happily lived in the UK for 6 years. DH will complete his work here in the next 18-24 months and then we hope/plan to move back to the US eastern coast if possible (depending on DH's job). 

I am not a super regular poster but I am usually on the SAHM board when I am on. Hope you don't mind if I join you all! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011

Re: Waving from the UK (Intro)

• Options
    Welcome, I'm a Brit who lives in Lux via way of GA living with my Lux hubby, DD and LO #2 on the way.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

Hiya! This board was just created recently so you haven't missed it for long :-)

DH and I are both Americans as well and have lived here for almost 7 years. We just applied for British citizenship and have no idea how much longer we'll stay. We're expecting our first in December.

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi and welcome! I am an American living in Scotland with my American DH and 10 month old DD. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    imagelbaby08:

I have no idea how I have not seen this board before! I am an American (from Atlanta) living in the UK with my American husband and two British born little ones. We have happily lived in the UK for 6 years. DH will complete his work here in the next 18-24 months and then we hope/plan to move back to the US eastern coast if possible (depending on DH's job). 

I am not a super regular poster but I am usually on the SAHM board when I am on. Hope you don't mind if I join you all! 

Welcome! I am from Atlanta as well, lived in London with my British dh for 3 years, had my son there, and then we moved back to Atlanta, and had our daughter here. WIll you move back to Atlanta? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello! I'm another American in England, married to my English husband and with two half-breeds. I've been over here for 12 years, but married for 6.5. Oh, and I live in the cold north. :)
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options
    imagefrlcb:
    imagelbaby08:

Welcome! I am from Atlanta as well, lived in London with my British dh for 3 years, had my son there, and then we moved back to Atlanta, and had our daughter here. WIll you move back to Atlanta? 

I am jealous that you made it back to Atlanta! We would love to end up back there but it all depends on DH's job prospects. He is a DPhil/PhD student and will teach at a university once he is done. Given the current job market in higher education we will go anywhere that will pay him to teach! He will apply to Emory and GA State with the hope of getting to Atlanta but at this point we would be equally happy to just be south of DC. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :) 

• Options

imagewelshgirl:
    Hello! I'm another American in England, married to my English husband and with two half-breeds. I've been over here for 12 years, but married for 6.5. Oh, and I live in the cold north. :)

We lived in Durham for three years before moving to Oxford. It is very much the cold north but we loved our time there - the people were so friendly even if the weather was less than inviting!

• Options
    imagelbaby08:

imagewelshgirl:

We lived in Durham for three years before moving to Oxford. It is very much the cold north but we loved our time there - the people were so friendly even if the weather was less than inviting!

What's your H's PhD in? H and I both did them, and aren't using them, so I'm a little jealous if he gets to teach, though I imagine his prospects will be better from Oxford ;)

My H is from Oxford, so I'm familiar with it. It's a nice city, but definitely more London than northern!

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options
    welcome to the board ladies! :)
    I'm from MN and now live in Sydney, before that we lived in SW London for 6 years :)
  • Options
    imagewelshgirl:
    imagelbaby08:

imagewelshgirl:

What's your H's PhD in? H and I both did them, and aren't using them, so I'm a little jealous if he gets to teach, though I imagine his prospects will be better from Oxford ;)

My H is from Oxford, so I'm familiar with it. It's a nice city, but definitely more London than northern!

His PhD is in music composition and theory. His area of interest is modern folk music (think Punch Brothers). His MA is in traditional English and Irish folk music - much of what he writes draws from the traditional music and he often uses old text if he needs lyrics for a particular piece.

We have high hopes that he will be able to teach as soon as he is done. There are a number of universities in the US that have taken a big interest in exactly what he does in recent years and are expanding their folk type music programs. And, yes, I would be lying if I didn't admit that we really hope the Oxford name will help too! :) 

You're right Oxford is very London-like and has the cost of living price tag that goes with it!  We enjoy it but Durham holds a special place in our hearts.

• Options
    Hi, I am in the UK too, down in Bournemouth. I am a South African, married to a South African and we have a 4 year old son.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hello!  I've just come back to The Bump after having my first in NYC and am now living outside London in Hertfordshire with my English husband.  We're having our 2nd in March and boy is the maternity care different this time around!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"