November 2011 Moms

Money gift? WWYD?

So MIL decided to give DD $10 for her first birthday. (WTH?) What would you do with it? Let LO 'pick' something form the store? Save it? It's only ten bucks, not much to do with either way.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Money gift? WWYD?

• Egh...if it were me, sheesh, Idk.  Either splurge and get a fun toy or save it in her piggy bank or by something pretty for her nursery.  Do whatever you feel like.  It is only $10, you're right. 

• I'd let her choose some books, less noisy then toys ;] lol
  • Loading the player...
  • We have one combined account for the girls that they can split when DD2 turns 21.  I have been putting all their birthday and Christmas money in it as well as our spare change (once the jar is filled I deposit it).  When they are older I will let them keep half of their gift money and the other half will be put in the account.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • We decided that any cash or check gifts will be put towards DS 529 account.
  • For both his baby dedication and birthday, Will has gotten some cash gifts, big and small amounts. We bought him a little wallet, 2 DVDs that he likes (Baby Signing Time and Donut Man) and put the rest in his wallet to save. He really has so many toys and books that I couldn't justify buying more just because he has the money. So now we just keep putting his monetary gifts in the wallet and saving, so if one day there is something bigger like a Cozy Coupe or play table that he wants, he'll have the money to buy it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• When my kids get cash gifts I put it away until they need something.  DD grew out of her prefold diapers a couple of weeks and I was able to purchase new ones with the money she has tucked away from gifts.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Saving your child's money is more important than buying some gift she might play with for a month. All of the children's cash gifts are put into savings. If it's a "small" amount, DD gets the choice of putting it in her piggy bank in her room.
  • Unless there is something LO really needs, all cash goes into his savings account.
  • imagembgreenwalt:
    We have one combined account for the girls that they can split when DD2 turns 21.  I have been putting all their birthday and Christmas money in it as well as our spare change (once the jar is filled I deposit it).  When they are older I will let them keep half of their gift money and the other half will be put in the account.

This is what I remember my parents doing when we were growing up.  We got half to spend and half went in the savings. Right now, all cash/checks are just going straight into his savings.  There isn't anything else he needs and I want to take advantage of him being little and not knowing. 

Honestly though, $10 dollars?  I would just buy LO a little something.  

• I would put it in the piggy bank or savings account. 
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD received $10 from her Great Grandmother for her birthday and I'll put it into her savings account along with whatever else I can spare. I had hoped to be putting more money in her savings on a regular basis, but that hasn't quite happened yet. For example, anytime I get reimbursed for mileage at work, or FSA money back I'd like to put it in her savings account. College is going to be outrageously expensive in 17 years, every little bit will help.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imageEstwd2:
    I'd let her pick out a small toy or a book. DD got a few cash gifts and I let her pick out some toys and books; she had a blast. Just to be clear, why are you turning up your nose at a 10 gift? Do you expect a higher amount in general or just because she's the grandmother?
    Because she's the grandmother. It seems to me that 10 dollars is the sort of thing you give to some kid you don't know, not your grandchild, especially for a first birthday. And it's been a while since that post, but she also didn't come to her birthday party. I'm a little ticked. Thanks everyone, I think I'll let her pick a little something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"