Stay at Home Moms

how old...

How old do you think is old enough to put a childs bedroom on a different floors than yours?  We have 2 beds up, 2 down.  I'm thinking of rooming DS and new baby together, since DS will be just turning 2.  I don't think I would feel comfortable putting kids on a different floor so young.

Anyone have experience with this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how old...

• When DS was 3 months old we moved him from our room to his room on a different floor. I was kind of worried about it when we bought the house, but really, it ended up being no big deal at all. It was a complete nonissue
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageeaglesfan700:
    When DS was 3 months old we moved him from our room to his room on a different floor. I was kind of worried about it when we bought the house, but really, it ended up being no big deal at all. It was a complete nonissue
    Did you have just regular baby monitors? Video monitors?  Was he the only one on a different floor?  Would you just move one up in my case or both?  SORRY!!! So many questions :-)

• Loading the player...
  • imagelisamoe:
    imageeaglesfan700:
    When DS was 3 months old we moved him from our room to his room on a different floor. I was kind of worried about it when we bought the house, but really, it ended up being no big deal at all. It was a complete nonissue
    Did you have just regular baby monitors? Video monitors?  Was he the only one on a different floor?  Would you just move one up in my case or both?  SORRY!!! So many questions :-)

We had one regular monitor no video. He was our first and we have since moved. When DD was born she stayed in our room until we moved she was about to turn one. Our house was a 2 br condo.

Personally, I would not want them to share a room because I didn't want the baby to mess up DS' great sleeping habits
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • i was a nanny for a family and the master bedroom was downstairs and the 2 kids bedrooms were upstairs.  They had both of them up there from day one.  If your two year old is in a big bed or can crawl out of the crib i would either make sure they can do stairs real well or gate it off.  But you shouldn't be worried that they are too far away. you can actually hear footsteps - i knew when the older one wasn't in bed like she was supposed to be during nap time. They had a regular monitor with lights and audio only.
  • Our set up is a little bit different from yours as we have 2 beds down and then our master is upstairs. We kept DS upstairs with us until he was about 6 months old and then we moved him downstairs into his room. We only have an audio monitor with lights and it has worked out fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • our have always been on the floor above us.  I was worried about it at first but now I love it!  I'm actually wondering if they will sleep worse if we buy a new house because they will be able to hear everything going on on the first floor.

I have had friends and relatives ask about it like it's a bad thing... and it takes me a minute to realize what they are talking about becuase there's no issues at all with it here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our master is down and our other bedrooms are up so my kids have always been on a different level except when they slept in our bed or in our room (pnp). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone for the advice!  Seeing how many people have this situation, maybe I will consider it.  I don't know anyone IRL with the same set-up, so everyone I ask is totally against it.  Ugghh..decisions!  I have a while to think about it.

• When I originally responded I was on my phone so I didn't see your ticker.  Congrats on your BFP!
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • When DS was 4 months we moved him from our bedroom to the nursery on a different floor. It took a few nights for me to get used to the idea, but has never been an issue. Our house is in a safe neighborhood and really his room is close enough that it is not any further than if we lived in a ranch with a long hallway.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageeaglesfan700:
    When I originally responded I was on my phone so I didn't see your ticker.  Congrats on your BFP!
    Thank you!!!

• imageToBeMrsT:
    Our master is down and our other bedrooms are up so my kids have always been on a different level except when they slept in our bed or in our room (pnp). 

This is us too. I moved DD2 up there when she was 6 weeks and have never looked back. I do have a video monitor that alternates between their rooms, but I can pretty much hear what's going on through the ceiling anyway. I swear my kids sound like elephants walking around up there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• If we move to a house with the master on the first floor the kids will move upstairs and us down right away.  I would probably only keep the baby down in our room for the first 6 months or so, then move him/her upstairs.  So I don't  mind kids on the other floor much.  Of course with my not-so-good sleeping babies I might change my mind after so many trips up those stairs!  But that is what I would plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"