Preemies
Options

Question from a 3rd tri mom.

Hi ladies,

I am currently 36 weeks and about to go to my "emergency u/s" because  LO is measuring over 4 weeks ahead. My Dr. said its to look for problems and get a better idea of LOs size so we can discuss our options.

My question for you ladies is what exactly is considered a preemie? My sister seems to think its any baby born before 39 weeks. Also were any of your labors caused by a large baby? LO and I are otherwise healthy (i do have trace protine in my urine) but I am very scared about this u/s. Some moms on the 3rd tri board have been saying that babies are not fully developed until 40-42 weeks and "large for gestational age" is not a good enough reason for a Dr. to want to induce. I am freaking out and any advice/thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question from a 3rd tri mom.

• Options
    I believe pp is correct about 37 wks being term, though I do know plenty of people who went at 36 wks and their los had 0 issues. And don't panic about the u/s they aren't always accurate, the night I had to be induced the estimated DD at almost 5 lbs, she was really only 2lbs 13ozs, so ur Lo may not actually be as big as they think.
  • Options

imageUsm123:
    I think a preemie is considered anything before 37 weeks. Is it possible your dates were off? How many ultrasounds have you had? Good luck!

This is what I though, I had mono the month before I got pregnant and due to antibiotics I didnt have a period for two months, but my OB is sure that my EDD is accurate due to an ultrasound at 6 weeks (then my a/s at 18 weeks). I hope I can hold off until Saturday then, so at least I will be at 37 weeks.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Anything before 37 weeks is considered a preemie.  DD was born at 36w1d and is a late term preemie.  We were very fortunate that aside from being small my LO had no health concerns.  We had BFing latch issues and had to do extra weight and bilirubin checks, but she was otherwise healthy and needed no NICU time.  

I wish you good luck at your appointment.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    she may be saying 39 weeks due to the new march of dimes commercials where they say not to induce before 39 weeks if possible.  I believe MOD is now calling 37-38 early term and 39+ full term or late term. in any event I'm wishing the best for you!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"