Washington Babies
Options

ballpark cost per month for your first baby?

My fiance and I are planning to start TTC this summer. We're also starting to sock money away for our first house (in 4ish years so a fair amount of time to save). With holiday bonuses and impending raises I'm starting to get organized and create specific accounts to get prepared. However, I have no idea what realistic monthly expenses for a baby are in Seattle. (and I don't have any friends with young kids!)

I've looked at childcare costs in the area and they seem to be in the 1500-2000/month range (for centers and some nannies). Is that accurate? Also, do you have a sense of what your other monthly bills went up by once you had a baby? I know there'll be a big start-up cost. From what I've read that's in the ballpark of 3-4K.

I am lucky enough to have great insurance that covers pretty much the whole pregnancy with mostly 0 co-pays. Dependent insurance rates for my plan I have. 

Am I forgetting anything?  Thanks for the input. 

Re: ballpark cost per month for your first baby?

• Options
    There is usually some startup cost, but newborns don't need much. Big expenses are healthcare for you and baby. How much does insurance for the baby cost? Well child visits should be free, but babies get sick a lot. Also, check out your leave. Most of the time it is unpaid and sometimes your benefits may need to be paid out of pocket.

You can put money for childcare into a pretax account max 5k. Good thing you factored that in.

Stuffwise, baby needs a place to sleep and diapers, sleepers and blankets. You will need bottles and a pump for going back to work. A breastfeeding pillow, stroller/carrier, swing/bouncy chair are nice to have, and you will need a carseat. Most everything except the carseat and crib if you choose to have one, you can get used.

I think you've thought of most major expenses. Might be a good idea to write your wills, power of attorney, and check your life and disability insurance to make sure it meets your needs with a child. Those things can get pricey.

Other maternity related costs mostly optionalclothes, birth classes, yoga, doula, vitamins, photos maternity and/or newborn. Good luck!
  • Options

I haven't given birth yet, but just wanted to share some of those other costs with you. if you use a doula, most around the area are ~$1,000 give or take a couple hundred.

We were lucky enough to receive quite a few big items from family members, but still spent ~$2,500 on stuff we needed to have for the baby (stroller to crib to diaper cream) and it would've been easy to spend more. 

Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"