Babies on the Brain

Silly Questions

So my biological clock has been ticking for YEARS and Husband and I are finally in a place where we feel comfortable trying to conceive.  I do have a few questions though...

Why does everyone say nine months but it breaks down to 40 weeks?  Why is it 40 weeks and then broken down into trimesters?

And did you find out the gender of Baby?  I don't want to, he does.  It's a sore point that I'd like to smooth over before we actually get pregnant (if I'm not already! Fingers crossed!).  Part of me wants to call every doctor we see and tell them that they aren't allowed to tell us and if Husband asks, tell him they can't determine it.  I don't like to lie to him but I refuse to unwrap my "Christmas Present" early.  I'm happy finding out in the delivery room.  We can find out the gender of the ones after, but the first, I'd really like to leave a surprise.  Anyone with similar situations?

Re: Silly Questions

• The pregnancy calendar beings at conception. Most people don't get a positive test until approx 4 weeks...At that point you're already considered 4 weeks along (although without confirmation). Then it's 36 weeks from that point.

Unmedicated and medicated IUI's: all fail
    IVF #1: Dec 2012 16m/15f 12/9: 5dt of 2 beautiful blasts and 5 frosties
    TWINS!
    15w4d:baby a-pProm
    March 25: 18w...2 baby boys born sleeping
    July 29: FET-BFN

Sept: TAC placed

Oct 27: FET #2-Cancelled-monster cyst producing insane amounts of estrogen

Nov 13: FET #2-take 2
    imageimage

• imageJadsia:

Why does everyone say nine months but it breaks down to 40 weeks?  Why is it 40 weeks and then broken down into trimesters?

Ok, so this is really confusing, but here's the explanation. The EDD you are given is based on the first day of your last menstrual period. Typically, you ovulate about two weeks after your period (midway through your cycle). So when dating the pregnancy, you are considered "two weeks pregnant" before the actual conception. The actual gestation period is 38 weeks, on average, but you are considered "full term" by 36 weeks, and when people say pregnancy lasts for 40 weeks, that is including those first two weeks that you aren't actually pregnant yet.

There are three different ways to determine the trimesters: by development, by gestation, and by conception. The main reason for the division is because of development- different things happen in each stage. In the first trimester, all of the major organs develop. In the second, development continues and reaches viability, and in the third, development finishes and the baby is ready to be born.

Good luck; hope this helps!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Another way to look at it is that only February is actually an exact 4 weeks long.  The rest of the months are 4 weeks plus a couple days.  By the time you add those extra days up, you get an extra couple weeks.  So, 9 calendar months is appx. 40 weeks.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • About finding out babies gender... I side with YH on this one, but I like to plan ahead. If you do find out the gender, there will still be plenty of surprises in the delivery room, such as:
    Eye color
    Hair color, if they even have any hair yet
    Their "voice"
    And just really meeting them for the first time!
  • imagevictoria+james:
    About finding out babies gender... I side with YH on this one, but I like to plan ahead. If you do find out the gender, there will still be plenty of surprises in the delivery room, such as: Eye color Hair color, if they even have any hair yet Their "voice" And just really meeting them for the first time!

Agreed!!  And the best one, who does LO look like!! hehe

Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• I understand about the finding out the Gender bit, I really do. My view is that just once, I'd like it to be a surprise. I'd like the "It's a <enter gender here>!" scene that I have in my head.  Our other children, we can find out, that's fine.  The problem is, you can't 'unlearn' it.  If you find out, you know and that's it.  There's no going back.  I'd just like the first time to be different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"