Babies: 3 - 6 Months

not into toys

My LO will be 6 months in less than 2 weeks and he is not really into toys that much. He would much rather be walked around and watch me do things around the house or sit and watch the cat and dog walk by. He was into the lay n play when he was a little younger before he could sit up but now he isn't interested
We have an excersosser and he will maybe sit in it for 5 min if I am lucky and even then he just watches me . It is making it impossible for me to get things done and for him to learn how tosit and entertain himself! DH really wants me to work with him and let him sit by himself even when he is fussing which I agree with him but this might just be his personality and I'm afraid hejust might be needy. Anyone else feeling this way?

Re: not into toys

• Might I add duh he is needy he is a little baby! But you guys know what I mean I know some LOs that are my content to sit by themselves and others aren't so much.
  • I think that is normal for them to be more interested in you and less interested in toys.  When he gets a little older, he will probably like toys more. I know it's hard when you want a break, but he'll learn a lot more from interacting with you then from playing with any toys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a VERY high needs baby. She's been that way since day one. They only thing she'll play with is the Little Einstein jumper we got. and That's for a full 5 minutes by herself. Longer if you "play" (read fuss over and dance) with her (20). She's just social. We have a couple of carriers and just stick her front facing in them and go about our business. She's very content like that. Sometimes I can get her to take a rattle in the carrier so I can sit and write an email or take a phone call, but she just likes being with us. I think it's fine at this age. Plenty of time to be independent. 

If you don't have one, I really recommend a comfy, front facing carrier. My LO is light so she's in the Bjorn Synergy. Hubby prefers the K'Tan. I used the Moby until a few months ago, but now it's not comfy and a hassle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks guys. I do put him in the carrier but the stuff that I need to get done that involves deep cleaning with chemicals i dont want him to be near. But Im sure like you said it will get better. Did any of your LOs like the excersosser?
  • DS was like this until about 4.5 months, and then he started getting more interested in toys b/c he wants to put everything in his mouth. If I am trying to do something like coupon or fold clothes, I put him in a bouncy seat/boppy/bumbo/swing where he can watch me and just keep "feeding" him toys. When he gets bored with one, I grab another and rotate them out. If he's in a good mood, I can get a 20-30 minute work session in. When I've got to do something like clean a bathroom, I try to do it after his 2nd morning feeding, around 9:00 AM. He's a morning person, so he is much more content to entertain himself at that time. I can put his portable swing right outside the bathroom door where he can see me, and give him a wrist rattle and a burp cloth to keep him busy. He can also almost reach the dangling toys that hang over the swing, so he works on trying to grab those, too. Anyway, this gets us at least part way through cleaning the bathroom. I am trying to switch to Method cleaning products so there will be fewer harmful fumes. Plus I wear gloves when I am using chemicals so if he has a come-apart while I'm cleaning I can just shuck the gloves and go get him without fear of getting the chemicals on him. Oh yeah, and he has recently started to LOVE his Johnny jump-up doorway jumper thing, as well as his jumperoo. We have to fold up a blanket to put under the jumperoo so his feet touch, and I am careful not to let him spend too much time in it. (I've heard 30 minutes 2x daily is the max limit b/c it can interfere later with learning to walk.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"