UNIQUE WAY TO ANNOUNCE PREGNANCY TO FAMILY WHEN DAD IS SET TO BE DEPLOYED — The Bump
Military Families

UNIQUE WAY TO ANNOUNCE PREGNANCY TO FAMILY WHEN DAD IS SET TO BE DEPLOYED

So my boyfriend and I are 5 weeks pregnant after a miscarriage 22 weeks ago roughly. OOPs, anyways we aren't exactly excited yet do to the uncertainty and with his deployment  weeks away, we are only discussing as what if's in case I do or don't carry through to the 2nd trimester.  what is exciting about out pregnancy is Christmas Day will mark 12 weeks and we are trying to decide how we should tell our families considering he will be unable to skype or chat face-to-face.  For immediate family ie our parents we are thinking  a pre recorded video announcement, boxed and wrapped with note " DO NOT OPEN TIL CHRISTMAS!!!" with card inside containing first picture from ultrasound which I am hoping will be done at my first dr.'s appointment a week prior to the holiday.  I intend to be with my family for the announcement, which I was thinking of wearing a shirt that is catchy and in the Christmas spirit of me being pregnant.  is this good idea or any other suggestions? He will return when I am about 5 or 6 month.

Re: UNIQUE WAY TO ANNOUNCE PREGNANCY TO FAMILY WHEN DAD IS SET TO BE DEPLOYED

• My DH and I are planning that when I do get KU we will use our dog to annouce it, or send everyone handwritten onesis that say I love my (insert family relation). That could be something fun to open on Christmas morning with the picture.

• Loading the player...
  • I think a prerecorded message from him is a great idea.  I would also record their reactions so you can send it to him later.  I wouldn't count on having a sonogram at your first appointment.  It's usually just a blood test to confirm, check your vitals, weight and get a script for prenatals.  I would look into getting them t-shirts or mugs that say world's best grandparents or something to the effect and wrapping those.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My first appointment will be at 10 weeks... it was the earliest they could see me... but I do like the idea of video taping their reactions as well...

• My DH and I are currently in Germany, so we faced the question of how to tell everyone remotely as well. For our immediate family (parents/siblings), we were (fortunately) able to skype. For all of our other family and friends, though, we recorded a "generic" Merry Christmas video message and then included the first ultrasound pic at the end as a surprise. I posted it on youtube and sent everyone the link. 
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• We went ahead and told his family at Thanksgiving, but it was funny how his mom found out....she loves to canning and she shared a pint of dill pickled green tomatoes, I ate the whole pint only leaving my boyfriend a couple to eat and she made a comment," well if he was here, I think he would ask if your pregnant,"  I responded with, "I am and he knows,"  she was thrilled to the moon but she kept the secret from her son and I told her to act surprise when we tell the family....Of coarse we got grandma a card since it was her Birthday and it said it all.  Both my boyfriend and I went to bed happy know we told his family.  I now how to tell my family at Christmas and being that he is deployed, I will be surprising my family on my own, but Ben will be there in spirit.  But the best part is I will be sharing the ultrasound pictures which I had my first today. In 2 weeks I get to go back to the Dr.'s for a 9 week ultrasound picture, and given today results I am more certain that everything will be great has I even saw the heart beating very strong, expected HBPM 170 approx...and the Dr. seem very impress for being 7 weeks and 1 day. So I am happy and look forward to telling Ben!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards