December 2012 Moms

STM did your water break?

With your other pregnancies.. Did your water break? If so, what were you doing when it broke? My water broke with my third baby, while taking a potty break just before sitting down for a nice romantic Valentines dinner..

Re: STM did your water break?

• With both kids, my water broke on its own, but after I had gotten my epidural.
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dr swept my membranes around 1:30pm, I was induced with cytotec around 5:30pm, and about 11pm my water broke on it's own while I was sitting on a birthing ball. 

I was talking with my DH, mom, and sister (they were all with me during the induction).  I felt a huge gush but was afraid that it was just pee so I sat there for a minute trying to figure out what to do to make sure it was my water.  They just kept talking and no one realized that I wasn't a part of the conversation anymore.  I decided to stand up slightly and felt another gush and knew instantly it was my water.  It took me a few minutes to get their attention, but their reaction was priceless - panic.   Ummmm hello people we are already in the hospital and exactly where we are supposed to be!  LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, it broke on its own, but not until I'd been in labor for about 8 hours, and was lying in my hospital bed after getting my epidural.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine broke after going to the bathroom, at work :O
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had 4 kids and my water has never broken on its own...the doctors have always had to break my water. I've always walked in with at least 5-6cm dialated and never broke water.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Not until I already had the epidural for several hours.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • The doctor broke mine about 6-7 hours into my induction with DD.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Did you know that it's natural/normal for the baby to be born still in the bag of water? I know it's normally broken before that by the dr because it relieves some pressure but it doesn't have to be done.
    That's all. Lol. I just learned that in our birthing class.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • With DS he was really low so when it broke it was just a leak until I was admitted and they messed with it. Nothing with this one yet.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Mine never broke.  My MW broke it right as DD's head was crowning, but I pushed for almost an hour and it stayed intact.
  • My water broke at about 8cm dilated with my first. I was in the hospital, with an epidural, and had been induced, though.
  • Not until I was checked at 10cm. All over that poor nurse.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I was sleeping, it was 4:30 in the morning, when it broke with a huge gush everywhere.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Mine broke with the twins at home around midnight when I was going to the bathroom. I thought I was having a BH contraction and then it just broke.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Nope! Not naturally - the doctor's had to do it!

I think I read somewhere that less than 20% of women actually have water breaking as their first sign of labour 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My water broke on it's own when I was 8 cm dilated, 100% effaced and just about to be checked, at the hospital in triage.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageperfectlove09:
    Did you know that it's natural/normal for the baby to be born still in the bag of water? I know it's normally broken before that by the dr because it relieves some pressure but it doesn't have to be done. That's all. Lol. I just learned that in our birthing class.
    Very rare though.  I do know someone whose baby was born in the caul a few weeks ago - hospital birth too!  My MW will not break water no matter what, so I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't be banking on it, lol).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not with my 1st & 3rd - My water broke the contraction before delivery with DD1, and with #4 & 5 about 1 hour before labor started. #4, went in for an NST, had a contraction & stayed til lo came. #5 I was asleep.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStefandTodd:

imageperfectlove09:
    Did you know that it's natural/normal for the baby to be born still in the bag of water? I know it's normally broken before that by the dr because it relieves some pressure but it doesn't have to be done. That's all. Lol. I just learned that in our birthing class.
    Very rare though.  I do know someone whose baby was born in the caul a few weeks ago - hospital birth too!  My MW will not break water no matter what, so I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't be banking on it, lol).

It is very rare, but does happen.  My L&D nurse said she had never seen it happen and my MW said she had only seen it happen a couple of times.

As I said my MW broke my bag of water right as DD's head was crowning.  I gave her permission, but at that point I was not able to ask questions.  She later told me that some people theorize that it's less than ideal for a baby to be born in its sack because they don't have the benefit of being totally squeezed through the birth canal and their lungs might not clear as well.  I don't think I really believe that though. 

• Mine broke in bed when I was sleeping 3 weeks early. I woke in a puddle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I woke up in the middle of the night from feeling wet. Apparently my water had broke, but I didnt wake up from it actually breaking, but from feeling wet lol. Contractions started about 30 mins after I woke up, they were fairly mild. I had a shower, and swept the floors while i let the hubby sleep. We went to the hospital about 5 hours later. I was 6 cm dilated, had my DS 8 hrs after arriving at the hospital.
  • Mine broke on its own, but as a result of starting Cervadil for an induction, so a little different.  I went to the bathroom in the hospital and as I was climbing into bed I felt the huge gush.  Nurse didn't think it had broken but I had no doubt; doctor confirmed a few hours later.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • With my first, my water broke apparently when I was waiting to get a room. But I don't remember it breaking. My midwife asked me when it broke, and I couldn't tell her because it wasn't a huge gush. With my second, my water was broken by my doc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • No, with DS#1, MW had to break it herself. 

That was totally fun. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • Mine broke on its own when I sat up in bed at 2 am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"