Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

5 Things Thursday (one day early edition)

1) What are you thankful for this year?

2) Participating in any Black Friday shopping?

3) Status update check:  How far along is your wife (if pregnant)?  How old is your child now (if already here)? 

4 and 5 are you. 

Re: 5 Things Thursday (one day early edition)

• Options

So many things.  Thankful for my wife, son and son on the way.  Thankful that the surgery my son had yesterday went well and he's pretty much back to his old self.  Thankful that no matter how bad I think things may be in certain aspects, that I have the self realization to know that there are others out there with it worse...like those who lost everything in the hurricane, or locally, the people who lost their homes in the big neighborhood explosion on the south side of Indianapolis.

No.  I've done that twice (once for our Christmas tree, when I walked in, grabbed the tree, paid for it and was out the door of a standalone JC Penney's in 5 minutes, the other as a favor to my mother and stood in line for almost 2 hours in the cold for a digital camera for my sister) and don't really have much of a desire to do it again.

3) Status update check:  How far along is your wife (if pregnant)?  How old is your child now (if already here)?

Two part answer here.  Wife just hit 25 along weeks yesterday with son #2 and my son who is here just turned 23 months on the 18th.

4) Yesterday was my birthday and frankly, I was disappointed with my friends and family.  Normally, my in-laws are pretty good about calling and wishing me a happy birthday, but I did not receive a single phone call from any of my in-laws (I got cards in the mail, but they typically call on my actual birthday too).  When my mom called, it was all about my son's surgery and I actually had to ask her "Is there anything else you'd like to say?" at the end of the call to get her to say Happy Birthday.  My Facebook response was pretty lame as well.  I'm usually pretty good, hitting most of my friends' listed birthdays and of my 100 Facebook friends I got maybe a 20% acknowledgement.  I'm not asking for a party, or anything special, but it would have been nice if people who had a reminder right there on Facebook to at least type a quick "Happy Birthday".  I get it, I'm 37, birthdays aren't quite as big of a deal any more, but when you have to prompt family to say it... kinda disappointing.

5) Indiana basketball looks like they will be really good.  Georgetown put up a great fight, but IU came through, and they still have 3 big bodies to get back into the rotation in Elston and the 2 freshmen.  And don't get me started on why the freshmen are out currently... it is frankly ridiculous that the NCAA did what they did.

• Options
    imageColtsdad:

4) Yesterday was my birthday and frankly, I was disappointed with my friends and family.  Normally, my in-laws are pretty good about calling and wishing me a happy birthday, but I did not receive a single phone call from any of my in-laws (I got cards in the mail, but they typically call on my actual birthday too).  When my mom called, it was all about my son's surgery and I actually had to ask her "Is there anything else you'd like to say?" at the end of the call to get her to say Happy Birthday.  My Facebook response was pretty lame as well.  I'm usually pretty good, hitting most of my friends' listed birthdays and of my 100 Facebook friends I got maybe a 20% acknowledgement.  I'm not asking for a party, or anything special, but it would have been nice if people who had a reminder right there on Facebook to at least type a quick "Happy Birthday".  I get it, I'm 37, birthdays aren't quite as big of a deal any more, but when you have to prompt family to say it... kinda disappointing.

Sounds just about right for fatherhood. At this point, recognition from the wife and our kids is probably the best we can do.  I am learning that quickly,  But it has its advantages to.  At times I like being off the radar and down on peoples priority lists.

Happy Birthday, Dude!  At least you have IU hoops and a Colts team that is on the upswing. Those, things, along with a healthy family, will get you through the day at least.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagepolooo26:

2) Yes, Target has a camera we want. Target shouldn't be as bad as a Wal-mart or Toys 'R Us. That's as much as we're doing.

You'll still want to get there plenty early, as no matter where you go, the electronics, especially the door buster ones, fly off the shelves incredibly quickly.  Target will be pretty busy, or at least it always appeared to be when I saw them from a distance (I did 5 Best Buy Black Fridays).

• Options

I am thankful for our new baby on the way! I am also thankful for my ability to be patient despite morning sickness. :P 

No way in H-E-Double Hockey sticks! 

8 weeks Thanksgiving Day. Getting sick of some of the people we know saying things like "Oh, soon you'll be able to rest easy knowing the baby's far enough along." If anything's gonna make it hard for a baby to make it, it's making the mother nervous! :-|

4 and 5 are you. 
    Hmm, since I haven't done these before, I'm going to talk about me! :P I think that this has been an adventure so far, but I am sure that things will get more exciting as we go along. I'm really excited for the first visit with the LPN next week and the midwife in December. So far I haven't pissed off my wife too bad! :P 

Oh, and the last one. I've been watching the original Star Trek series, and I want to know why every woman on the ship must look so hot for the time! Even by today's standards they are beautiful women. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Mostly thankful that my wife is doing well and everything is looking good for this pregnancy.  Everything else is gravy.

Nothing in person.  Maybe some online.

My wife is 14.5 weeks along now.  She no longer gets sick (yay), but she can't sleep now and keeps me up (boo).

4) It was awesome watching Butler manhandle North Carolina last night.  They made us nervous they were going to give it away, but they held on.

5) This weekend I will finally brew on my new homebrew system for the first time.  I haven't brewed in awhile so I may go a little nuts and make 2 or 3 beers.  I even took Monday off so I could have an extra brew day.

• Options

I'm really, really thankful for my family. This is my son's first Thanksgiving and I'm crazy excited that we will spend it with our immediate family in LA. Just the four of us and plenty of food. It was a long road to get here and I don't to take this blessing for granted. I'm also thankful for the opportunities that have crossed my path. There are times when I'm behaving ungrateful, but I do realize that my life, job, health, etc. are all gifts and it's amazing to have them. Many don't.

None at all. I use to participate in Black Friday like a crazy person, but my wife is not a fan and has never sat outside for hours waiting for insane sales. If my son wasn't 2 months I would drag her out....but I won't. She still makes fun of me because I sat outside of a Circuit City for 10 hours to get a laptop for $299 back in 2006. It was rough, but totally worth it. It made me grow chest hair!

My kid turned two months on Monday! We went to the doctor for his first round of shots (he was not a happy camper) and saw a family with a two week old. Their LO weighed exactly what our kid weighed at that age and it was crazy to see how small that kid was and to compare how much my boy has grown. Holy crap!

4) I'm dragging the wife and my son to a 5K Turkey Trot tomorrow. I'm hoping this becomes a family tradition. This year we are just going to walk it together. I haven't competed in any 5K/10K is about 6 months and since my kid I haven't really ran consistently, so it might be best that we walk it together. 

5) Since my wife is gluten and dairy-free I'm putting together recipes for us. I'm going to try a gluten and diary-free mac and cheese, green bean casserole and scallop potatoes. Wish me luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageDavidStamps:

5) Since my wife is gluten and dairy-free I'm putting together recipes for us. I'm going to try a gluten and diary-free mac and cheese, green bean casserole and scallop potatoes. Wish me luck!

Gluten and dairy-free mac and cheese is an oxymoron.

• Options

1) I am thankful most that my wife and I have been blessed with a healthy, already well adjusted little boy. It seems as if he has been with us forever, and it has only been 3 short months. His addition into our life has carried over into both of our entire families, and to see the joy that he has brought so many already just makes me beam with joy and pride. He is already making a difference in people's lives, and that renews my faith in our future as a people.

2) We may step out a little bit in the evening. We decorate the tree during the day, but there might be time for a trip to the mall and to see Santa, perhaps?? But the whole go crazy thing, not for us at all!!!

3) Jacob will be three months this weekend. To all the soon to be dads, take it from me, cherish each and every moment you get with your newborn. Before you know it they are in daycare and you start to feel like they are growing more independent and less dependent on you, their father. It has taken me a minute to get used to that. But the good news is, when the little bugger is home, he is all about mommy and daddy. This age is awesome!!!!!

4) Packers are on a five game win streak right now, and are looking like they are ready to make a run at this thing. The Bears are a paper tiger, as proven on Monday night with that embarassing performance. If you have never been exposed to the Packers/Bears rival, trust me, I took as much pleasure watching that trainwreck as I would watching a Packer win.  Priceless!!

5) I still want Bret Bielema (Wisconsin Football Head Coach) fired as soon as possible!!!

• Options
    imagepolooo26:
    imageColtsdad:
    imagepolooo26:

2) Yes, Target has a camera we want. Target shouldn't be as bad as a Wal-mart or Toys 'R Us. That's as much as we're doing.

You'll still want to get there plenty early, as no matter where you go, the electronics, especially the door buster ones, fly off the shelves incredibly quickly.  Target will be pretty busy, or at least it always appeared to be when I saw them from a distance (I did 5 Best Buy Black Fridays).

It's a Cannon T3 bundle for $500. The camera is normally around $500 and the bundle is normally around $750. Doors open at 9pm.

What time do you think we should get there? We haven't put any thought into this yet and this is the first time we've ever done this.

Is it a front page door-buster, or just in the ad?  (if you know)  If it is front page, you'll likely need to get there pretty early, like potentially multiple (3+) hours early, especially if it is very limited quantity.  Now, all my experience with Black Friday shopping is when it actually started on Friday at like 5 AM, not the new Thursday night sensation that has taken over.  The price point might help your cause out, as most people are looking for the $300 camera that gets dropped to $100 or so... but you'll still see some demand for it.  Remember, the 2 hottest things every Christmas, especially on Black Friday are electronics and children's toys.  

• Options
    imageladyjenna13:
    imageColtsdad:

Sounds just about right for fatherhood. At this point, recognition from the wife and our kids is probably the best we can do.  I am learning that quickly,  But it has its advantages to.  At times I like being off the radar and down on peoples priority lists.

Happy Birthday, Dude!  At least you have IU hoops and a Colts team that is on the upswing. Those, things, along with a healthy family, will get you through the day at least.

Thank you for the happy birthday!  I went into the day full on expecting people to potentially call asking about my son's surgery and then to wish a happy birthday, but I didn't even get the calls I normally get.  Apparently all the focus was on one of my wife's 1st cousins (so I guess technically one of my 1st cousins-in-law) took a 1 year contract to move from Indiana to California for a job, and I got lost in the shuffle.  As far as the Facebook thing goes... I have never really raked in the birthday acknowledgements, even though I try to make an effort to acknowledge people's birthdays.  It is what it is I guess.  

While the lack of acknowledgement hurts, the bottom line is my son got the surgery he needed and it went well and the people in my immediate family, wife included, all made sure I got acknowledged.  At this point in life, birthdays are just another day, with a little extra attention, at least most of the time.

• Options
    imagepolooo26:
    imageColtsdad:
    imagepolooo26:

It's a Cannon T3 bundle for $500. The camera is normally around $500 and the bundle is normally around $750. Doors open at 9pm.

What time do you think we should get there? We haven't put any thought into this yet and this is the first time we've ever done this.

I worked at Best Buy for five years.  One thing I learned about Black Friday was that with the electronics that are high demand and dropped to well below cost, they will only have a handful in stock and then.....DONE!!

Keep that in mind with the camera.  May have been one of those buys from the vendor that only allowed for 4-6 items to be at each location. 

• Options
    Look at the ad to see if there is a minimum quantity listed.  Like ladyjenna said, often times, they won't carry much beyond the minimum quantity.  Not a guarantee, I remember a Best Buy Black Friday back in '01 where we had a $29 DVD player with minimum quantity of 100, we had 422 of them.  Being this is Target and not Best Buy, I would guess they'll be closer to the minimum quantity.  You might also look at the ad again and see if they may have the item online... some places list the same items available on the website, but you'll have to be quick on that too.
  • Options

Everything in my life. My wife, my job, the growing baby inside of my wife, etc. Everything. 

Nope. 

3) Status update check: How far along is your wife (if pregnant)? How old is your child now (if already here)?

She is 33 weeks today.

4) I am at work and I am completely unmotivated. It is Faux-Monday.

5) I am contemplating indulging in a little Captain Morgan's this evening.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1) a strong family that can deal with anything that is thrown against us.

2) Never have never will, my gift limit is roughly $20 to $30 per person no matter age.  We also do a gift exchange where we pull names to see who gets who what.

3) M/C on Wed. LO is almost 18 months old.

4) The older I get the less interest I have in sports.

5) I do like lifting weights and hitting a small white ball, I am basically blind farther away then like a foot from my face so I lose a lot of golf balls. 

• Options

My wife and family, and the coming baby. 

Nope! My brother texted me, saying he took Mom to the mall, and it was apparently a madhouse.

3) Status update check: How far along is your wife (if pregnant)? How old is your child now (if already here)?

She's 33 weeks along 

4) Thanksgiving was good.  The wife had to work on Thanksgiving night, so she and I did a little on on Wednesday, and yesterday I went over and had dinner with friends.  It was a rockin' good time.

5)  The new NFL Play 60 commercial with Cam Newton and a little kid is just delightful.

https://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2012/11/video-new-play-60-commercial-featuring-cam-newton.html 

• Options
    imageWulfgar:

So sorry to read about that. Our prayers are with you and your family.  :(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageWulfgar:

If I'm reading that right, and I hope I'm not, I'm very sorry for your loss.  Been through it, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Options

Yes, when it comes to electronics, most of the time the best deals are off brand.  Some people don't care about brand, they just want the deal... but in my experience, when it comes to electronics, brand means something (not everything, you can get quality out of off brand, it just seems like off brand are more "disposable").

I can't speak to the reasoning people go out and do Black Friday because it frankly is something I wouldn't do with any kind of consistency after working 5 of them.  Now a days, you can get all your same deals online and do without the insanity of the crowds.

• Options

Wulfgar, just wanted to let you know I'll be sending some positive vibes your way man.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageWulfgar:

Sorry about the loss.  I think a good number of us here have gone throught that, so we know what you are going through with this. God's Plan.....hard to think about it like that, but it is the truth.

• Options
    imagePrime:
    imageDavidStamps:

Gluten and dairy-free mac and cheese is an oxymoron.

Ha! True, true....but it was delicious and guess who made it through the weekend w/o hugging the toilet. THIS GUY!

• Options
    @wulfgar - sorry about the lost, been there and no matter what anyone says it is always tough. Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"