March 2012 Moms

Good activity toys for the crib?

My son always wakes up in the morning happy and not particularly hungry so it isn't imperative for him to get immediately out of bed. I feel like I could squeeze in a few more minutes in bed myself if he had something to entertain him a little when he wakes up.

Can anyone recommend any activity toys for the crib that their babies are currently enjoying? A doesn't sit up from a laying position on his own yet but I'm sure it'll happen in the next month or so he'll have more reach then!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Good activity toys for the crib?

• our lil guy has a kick piano similar idea to the kick n play play mat.. it is attached to the end of his crib and this one is a padded material on the key parts.. he loves that.  and will play with it with his hands too now, not just his feet so there is your extra tummy time :)

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3565459&prodFindSrc=search

He also has the usual glowy things including the turtle which he recently loves to pick up and roll on it's shell to make the stars shine on his crib sheets.
  • I was looking at that piano (he loves all things piano!). Does he kick it while he's asleep? I think I would have to leave it on so he could wake up on his own and play but I don't want him hammering out Chopsticks in the middle of the night!

I bought the glowy constellation turtle for Christmas and, for some reason, my husband is sooo excited about it. I think he has dreams of lying on the floor with the baby and teaching him astronomy. :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageeyenigh:

I was looking at that piano (he loves all things piano!). Does he kick it while he's asleep? I think I would have to leave it on so he could wake up on his own and play but I don't want him hammering out Chopsticks in the middle of the night!

I bought the glowy constellation turtle for Christmas and, for some reason, my husband is sooo excited about it. I think he has dreams of lying on the floor with the baby and teaching him astronomy. :)

Nope he doesn't kick in it in his sleep, because my LO only naps in his crib or sleep in there till it's bedtime for me.  But if he is mobile just put it at the end he doesn't sleep at and he'll make his way to it to play with it once he knows it is there and what it does.. it has two volume settings.

As for the turtle.. I thought that too.. it's not that hi-tech lol but it's super cute and LO loves it.  In the beginning he could care less but now he plays with the turtle and does WWF over the head body slams and stuff on the poor thing haha ..and you don't want to know what he does to the poor cloud B monkey..love that monkey.  Like with all toys don't think they hate it and give up because they show little interest.. my Lil guy could care less and then all of a sudden it's flavor of the month. We tend to buy ahead and look for things that will grow with him so he may not be too super interested the first month or two.
  • We have a few stuffed toys in Livi's crib that she entertains herself with when she wakes up.  The hard toys like keyboards and light shows make me nervous that she'll bang her head on them.  We put the toys on the end of the crib where her feet are so we've never worried about her suffocating and we only started putting them in there when she was able to roll herself over.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a mean mommy - No entertainment in the crib because cribs/bed are for sleeping only.

I suffered from a sleep disorder and was given the advice of only using my bed for actual sleep. I stopped reading, watching movies or talking on the phone when I was in/on my bed. It made the most significant difference in addition to some other lifestyle changes. I still struggle, but it's better.

I don't want DD to have the same problem. Of course I realize this is not the case for everyone, just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else has lots of stuff in their baby's bed and he/she still wasn't sleeping well.

• imageExcited30:
    imageBellaOso:
    I'm a mean mommy No entertainment in the crib because cribs/bed are for sleeping only. I suffered from a sleep disorder and was given the advice of only using my bed for actual sleep. I stopped reading, watching movies or talking on the phone when I was in/on my bed. It made the most significant difference in addition to some other lifestyle changes. I still struggle, but it's better. I don't want DD to have the same problem. Of course I realize this is not the case for everyone, just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else has lots of stuff in their baby's bed and he/she still wasn't sleeping well.
    I must be a "mean " mommy too. I have her sleep sheep and one stuffed animal in there. I agree, bed is for sleeping. living room, hallways, etc are for playing. i read in a sleep book once that associations with room, nightime routine are essential for good sleep and calming. made sense to me. I don't want her to think in anyway that crib time is play time.

I'm a mean mommy too - nothing in the crib but him, and he sleeps like a dream. I've been thinking about putting a toy or something in there since he doesn't begin to fuss for a good 20 minutes until after he wakes (and sometimes I need that 20 minutes!), but I'm glad you posted the part about associations, because I was beginning to think I should put something in there to keep him occupied.

• imagekristens14:

imageExcited30:
    imageBellaOso:
    I'm a mean mommy No entertainment in the crib because cribs/bed are for sleeping only. I suffered from a sleep disorder and was given the advice of only using my bed for actual sleep. I stopped reading, watching movies or talking on the phone when I was in/on my bed. It made the most significant difference in addition to some other lifestyle changes. I still struggle, but it's better. I don't want DD to have the same problem. Of course I realize this is not the case for everyone, just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else has lots of stuff in their baby's bed and he/she still wasn't sleeping well.
    I must be a "mean " mommy too. I have her sleep sheep and one stuffed animal in there. I agree, bed is for sleeping. living room, hallways, etc are for playing. i read in a sleep book once that associations with room, nightime routine are essential for good sleep and calming. made sense to me. I don't want her to think in anyway that crib time is play time.

I'm a mean mommy too - nothing in the crib but him, and he sleeps like a dream. I've been thinking about putting a toy or something in there since he doesn't begin to fuss for a good 20 minutes until after he wakes (and sometimes I need that 20 minutes!), but I'm glad you posted the part about associations, because I was beginning to think I should put something in there to keep him occupied.

Count me in this club!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only thing that mine has is an aquarium that plays lullabies or white noise.  We use it as a falling-asleep tool.  She watches the fishies until she falls asleep.  These days I've noticed that it's frequently on when I come get her in the morning.  (It has a button for babies to push to make it play.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"