December 2011 Moms
Options

My Grandma is Fantastic!

After Josephine's birthday party I was in shock.  I could not believe all the gifts she received.  Afterwards, MIL said... Just you wait until Christmas!

My MIL goes WAY overboard, and actually gave DD a gift I'd been longing to buy for her for Christmas as a birthday gift.  Broke my heart.  Even after I told her I was buying it, she did it anyway.  Josephine loves it, but I hate it because that was joy I should have been able to give her!

My dad also goes overboard with stuffed animals, and things of that nature. 

I know everyone wants to get DD gifts, but we are her parents and we it is our turn to play Santa! 

After Josephine's birthday party, my grandma called and said that she'd no longer be buying her any gifts (maybe something small) for birthdays or Christmas.  She said instead she was opening her a savings account in her name, and giving her money each month, with extra money for her birthday and Christmas.  So she'd "have something back"

I would MUCH rather everyone do that, wasting tons of money on toys that she will never remember, and that we don't have room for just doesn't make sense to me.  Something small, sure, and put the rest of what they would've spent into her savings account.  We are saving for college too, but every little bit helps!

Maybe that's flame worthy, but if you'd have seen the PILE of gifts that she got you would agree.  I have waited years to be Santa, and damn it, I don't want everyone else out doing Santa!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: My Grandma is Fantastic!

• Options

No flames here!

I probably spent $20 on toys and maybe $40 on clothes for DS's birthday an Christmas combined. Every time I say I'm going to buy him something, my mom or sister tell me not to so they can buy it for him. Seriously guys, I'm his mom and I want to buy him cool stuff too!

DH's Grandma is planning on doing a savings account like your Grandma is. I think it's a good idea. It keeps the mound of toys to a minimum! 

• Options
    Honestly I would much rather have people do that than buy toys and clothes they don't need!  We have way too many toys at our house.  dS got a Batman ride on toy and a small little truck for his bday.  After coupons and good sales at Kohls I probably paid less than $25 for both.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, My MIL always asks "What can I get Josie for ___ (fill in the blank)?"  I'm going to start directing everyone to her savings account when they ask.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I might be urge odd bird here but I excited for A to be spoiled with toys and clothes and books. I hope the shopping/giving brings our family lots of joy.

We are able to manage investing for her future.
  • Options

imageCountingUp:
    I might be urge odd bird here but I excited for A to be spoiled with toys and clothes and books. I hope the shopping/giving brings our family lots of joy. We are able to manage investing for her future.

Oh we are managing her future fine $5k/yr into college fund.  But there's no such thing as too much money, you never know what will come up.  Maybe she'll be able to buy a house with her savings someday.  That would be nice for her.

There is however, (especially in my tiny little 1100 sq ft house) such a thing as too many toys.  Especially w/#2 on the way.  I hate HATE HATE clutter, and my house already looks like a daycare.  I also get a lot of joy out of buying her things.  I'm her mom, I want to get her cool stuff too! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"