Blended Families
Options

Are "Injunction/Restraining Orders" public record?

Neither of us is a party directly involved so I'm not sure we would have access to it. That is my question.

The fact that one was issued IS public record, we were able to see that fact in the timeline on the court records website.

I am curious if the actual order itself is public record. If we went in person to the courthouse and presumably paid for copies?

Re: Are "Injunction/Restraining Orders" public record?

• Options
    Does that mean that if a police report against someone has been filed, that is public record, too?
  • Options
    A police resport should be public record except the names and all identifying info are usually blacked out if the peson hasn't been convicted of a crime.  So they're basically useless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Lurker here.

Public record laws are state laws, not federal, so there's very little uniformity. In my state, police reports, including all names, even minors, are public record and cannot be redacted except for social security numbers. Police can very rarely use an "investigatory documents" exemption but it's usually difficult to make stick to the actual report. Restraining orders, including the original application for the order (where the person seeking it is required to give a written statement about why they want it) and the final court order (generally less informative and more by the book), are also public documents here. Court records are typically public records in most states unless the case is sealed for some reason so you should be able to obtain copies of court decrees.

DD Lea 04/21/10
    DS Nathan 12/4/12
    BFP: 3/31/15 EDD: 12/4/15

MC: 7/2011, 12/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"