August 2011 Moms
Options

Tacky or not tacky?

Do you think white christmas trees are tacky?

Lets say, your house is for sale and you're trying to be as classy as possible. And, being super classy might be a struggle sometimes for you. Would you put up your white Christmas tree with flashing blue and white lights and monorah and dredil ornaments?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tacky or not tacky?

• Options
    Who's your target audience?  Someone akin to the Griswolds on the tacky scale?  Sure, I'd put them up.  Queen Elizabeth?  No.  Someone inbetween those two?  No.  Way too tacky.  
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    imagemananana:

Our realtor was really good about reminding us to look past the decor.  In fact our favorite house had eggplant walls and forest green carpet in the main living area.  That would have been gone in a heartbeat.  :S

I view these sorts of things as a price cut waiting to happen, in my favor (as the buyer).  I also view them as a reduction of the likelihood of any competition with my offer.   

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKaren1998:
    imagemananana:

Our realtor was really good about reminding us to look past the decor.  In fact our favorite house had eggplant walls and forest green carpet in the main living area.  That would have been gone in a heartbeat.  :S

I view these sorts of things as a price cut waiting to happen, in my favor (as the buyer).  I also view them as a reduction of the likelihood of any competition with my offer.   

Our wall colors are neutral and all flooring is new and neutral. All of our other holiday decorations are in silver and white and could be Christmas or Hanukkah. The tree is the only item I am thinking we won't do. It is fun for us, but someone else might think it screams tacky.
  • Options
    Personally, it's not my style, but I don't think it would warrant any gasping on my part either. Unplugging it before showings does sound like a good idea, though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageCrash Into Me:
    Any potential buyer who makes a decision based on your decorations is a moron.nbsp; I absolutely hate how the TV shows portray people getting so stuck on decor.nbsp; Walls can be repainted, carpet can be replaced, wall paper can be removed.nbsp; Personal decorations...they go with the seller. Put your stuff up.nbsp; It's your house and you're the one who has to live in it.nbsp; My house has been on the market for 20 months, my house is tastefully decorated and neutral and I have yet to hear any negative feedback on decorations.The stairs and layout, however, are a different story. Those are things I cannotnbsp; change.nbsp; We manage the stairs just fine they are steep and narrow and do does DD.nbsp; I do get hung on on the general care of a house when we go throughfilth, stains, weird holes in the walls...those are things that make me think twice.nbsp; Giant valances with the 90s rose print on them, gnome cabinet pulls, droopy ceiling fan...they can all be replaced.

I sort of feel this way too. Every person that's looked at our house has said its cute. It's neutral and nothing needs to be updated. However, our kitchen is tiny. That's one reason were moving. Our tree isn't pretty, it's funny. We were 100 sure we weren't putting it up, but Liam keeps asking about it.
  • Options
    imageRachey1082:
    imageKaren1998:
    imagemananana:

Our wall colors are neutral and all flooring is new and neutral. All of our other holiday decorations are in silver and white and could be Christmas or Hanukkah. The tree is the only item I am thinking we won't do. It is fun for us, but someone else might think it screams tacky.

Ah, I thought you saw it in a house you were looking at buying.  FWIW, I would've found it humorous.  We've always joked about having a tin tree, turning our collection of tacky souvenirs into ornaments and using that tree to display them.  Either that or displaying them prominently in a very nice curio cabinet in the midst of nice things.  

A tree is something I'd anticipate the prior owners removing when they moved, so, other than it being interesting decorating and something to maybe make the house stand out in my mind, it wouldn't factor in.  One thing to consider, though, is that it could be deemed offensive to some buyers.  Since, ideally, you don't want to turn anyone off from your house, I'd leave it down until you sell or take it off of the market.  Plus, first time buyers (if you're in the starter home crowd) often fixate on the oddest things and decide that they simply can't buy a house because of X, Y or Z.  It's often something easily fixable, but they fixate nonetheless.  

• Options
    I would just set it up, especially since your son is asking about it.  DH and I saw SO MANY weird things when we were house hunting, but no one's decor would ever deter us from making a decision to purchase. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"