Baby Showers
Options

NBSR: How tacky would this be? (CP)

Ok, not baby-shower related, but an etiquette question. For Christmas cards, how important is it to hand address the envelopes and write a personal message in each one?

I used to buy folded cards and handwrite a personal message inside each one. In recent years, however, almost all of my family and friends have been sending the pre-printed photo cards with no personal message, and I have started doing this as well. I do still hand address the envelopes, but I am tempted to get them printed this year to save time. I would never, ever do this for thank you notes (definitely hand wrote and addressed thnak yous to each person who generously gave us baby gifts when DD was born), but this feels like a gray area to me. I probably won't do it, as I lean towards it being tacky, but I am curious as to what others think:

[Poll]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NBSR: How tacky would this be? (CP)

• Options
    Most people i know now a days use snapfish or shutterfly to send a holiday greetings card.  No personalization needed.  However i do still hand write my addresses and hand write happy holidays on each card and sign them.  I think it's a person preference and it may depend on how much time you have.
  • Options

I get pre-printed photo cards with a generic message "Happy Holidays Love, The Smiths."  I usually write a personalized note to people we're close to on the back with a holiday colored Sharpie.  For co-workers or people we've lost touch with, I just jot a quick sentence.

I do address mine by hand, but more because it iritates me to merge my mail lists and get the address stickers all lined up, etc.  I usually just sit in front of the TV with a glass of wine and a cheesy xmas movie and write the addresses out, but I wouldn't be offended at all if I got one that was pre-printed.

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it is nice when, even if someone did a pre-printed photo card, that they at least write "Dear Witty and Schaffy" and "Love the Smiths" It at least seems like they gave it a little thought.  

I think that it is a little odd when people do the generic card with no personalization to it AND do labels for the envelope.  Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered?  

• Options
    imagewittyschaffy:

I think it is nice when, even if someone did a pre-printed photo card, that they at least write "Dear Witty and Schaffy" and "Love the Smiths" It at least seems like they gave it a little thought.  

I think that it is a little odd when people do the generic card with no personalization to it AND do labels for the envelope.  Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered?  

Yeah, this was kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for all of the replies, ladies! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I voted SS because I don't think the handwritten address is important but I HATE those preprinted cards when people do not bother to put a little note in them, as another poster said, what is even the point.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I think a note is needed, but printed address labels are just fine.  
  • Options
    I use the folded holiday cards and add pictures of the kids and the "dreaded" Christmas letter.  We have a lot of relatives and friends that we only see a couple of times a year.  They are disappointed when we don't send our "letter"...so I have been doing one every year (just basically a run-down on what the kids are up to (and ourselves of course).  I'm really disappointed when I get a snapfish, etc. card with printed message and name...nothing personal on it at all.  To me it says "lazy".  Obviously it doesn't bother other people.
  • Options
    Sorry rhubarb, but I detest the christmas letter.  My mom's cousin (who we never see in person) sends us one every year and it comes across as so "Look how freakin' awesome our lives are, you should be totally jealous that you're not us!" my eyes ache from the rolling. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I get photo cards done at walgreens/shutterfly. no personalization on that, but i do handwrite the envelopes. I think its easier than printing it out. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagetricia560:
    I feel the exact opposite, so I voted SS.nbsp; I don't mind printed or even printed labels stuck on envelopes because the address isn't important as long as it gets to me, but I think not having some personal message inside is tacky.nbsp; If you can't bother to write me a note, why bother sending me a card?
    this exactly! I get several cards acyearcwith no message and I find it really impersonal, however, I have no issue with a printed mailing label.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetricia560:
    I feel the exact opposite, so I voted SS.nbsp; I don't mind printed or even printed labels stuck on envelopes because the address isn't important as long as it gets to me, but I think not having some personal message inside is tacky.nbsp; If you can't bother to write me a note, why bother sending me a card?

This, exactly. I also don't get the cards that just say, "***, Jane, and Sally." I want at least a bit of a message....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    i be my pre-printed holiday cards from either babycachet.com or shutterfly.com with my own message that work for both families & friends. then I handwrite the addresses to make it personal, the like the cursive of handwriting. i think if you use labels, that's fine too.
  • Options
    I order cards that have a preprinted message and envelopes but I always add a personal message.
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"