Preemies

PT question is this normal?

DS started going to PT because of torticollis.  He has already overcome almost all of it, the only goals he has to reach are holding his head to the left for 30 seconds in a prone and seated position which he did for me this weekend. In fact he did it for way longer than that. 

They told us they wanted us to come 2x a week originally but due to their schedule and my work schedule we haven't gone that often... yet he has still done great. we do his exercises at home religiously and work with him. 

The appointments are nothing more than monitoring his development. They do not physically do any type of therapy with him at the appts.  I asked last time if he was delayed at all and she said he isn't if we use his adjusted age, which is what I was told to use.  Yet they want us to keep coming at least once a week.  I feel like they just want our money (we have a $25 copay and have already spent hundreds there).  I am also concerned because my insurance only covers 20 appts in a year and our year goes until July 31.  He's already done 10 appts. So if there is a delay later we won't be able to go get treatment.  He doesn't qualify for EI right now because there are no delays.  

So I guess what I'm asking is whether it is normal to not really do anything other than evaluate the baby at every appt? I understand we need to monitor his development but he is developing at the right rate and in the expected order as per the PT.  I feel like they are just feeding into my insecurities with having a preemie. If he was full term I feel like they'd just say he will develop at his own rate and because he is a preemie they want him to develop faster than he should be. It is really stressing me out.  I am going to ask my pedi for a second opinion at his 6 month appt in a few weeks but I was wondering what you think.

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: PT question is this normal?

• I have absolutely no problem taking him and getting therapy if he needs it but I feel like it's unnecessary to monitor his development every week or multiple times a week if he is showing no signs of delay.  they don't monitor full term babies. I know that preemies are different of course but I feel like we don't need to treat something that isn't there and they aren't even giving us exercises or anything to do at home with him other than the two stretches for torticollis which again, he has a full range of motion now! other than that they just say he is doing great and a "rockstar" and adorable, which he is, but they don't really DO anything! I totally respect them but know it is a business as well and they don't get paid if they don't treat you.  I feel like it would be different with EI since that isn't there to make money. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This sounds weird to me.  We've gone to two different occupational therapists, and they work with her for the entire hour each time.  Personally, I would look for another one.  Just my two cents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"