Trying to Get Pregnant

Severe pinch on side, delayed period, not pregnant :(

Just started TTC two months ago. About a week before my period was due I started feeling a severe pinching pain on my lower left side that didn't feel like normal period cramps. Thought it was just a random pinch and took Vicodin and then my period was late by about 4 days. I took pregnancy test and it was negative. Finally period came and cramps were HORRIBLE and i bled for almost 6 days (usually it's about 3 days).

Pinch in my side slowly went away and we had sex while I was ovulating. Then about a week before period was due again the severe pinch on my lower left side came back and I was in extreme pain (bent over) for about 2 days. It went away and again period was late and I thought I was pregnant only to have negative test again. Then my late period finally showed up with SEVERE pain radiating from the pinch on my lower left side. I could barely walk down the street and had to sit down on the sidewalk because it felt like the pinch was tearing apart whatever organ it was attached to. The worst period cramps I ever had and then the period STOPPED after 24 hours. Tested again and I'm not pregnant. 

Went to doctor and he told me it sounded like my pinch was "just regular period cramps" and that I should take aspirin. I explained that I'd had cramps before and it wasn't normal cramps. I said it's a distinct pinch that felt like it was tearing apart on one side not on both sides. Again he said I should just take some aspirin. When I explained my period had ended last week but i was still feeling an aching pinch in my side he said maybe it was my colon and he'd schedule an ultrasound anyway but he was sure it was just regular period cramps.

I'm really disappointed that these symptoms mirror being pregnant and I've never had an issue with late periods or weird pulling and pinching pains on one side. And I feel like my doctor is not listening when he says to take aspirin for crippling pain. I work full-time and being in pain while TTC has been a nightmare and I'm struggling to keep a positive attitude. I'm taking prenatal vitamins daily and I've completely cut out alcohol and coffee.

My period ended a week ago so I don't understand why I'm feeling a pinch in my side which is supposedly period cramps when i'm not even on my period anymore.

I'm fairly healthy, just turned 35 and am trying to get pregnant for the first time now that I've found the right guy that I love.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I see another doctor? 

Re: Severe pinch on side, delayed period, not pregnant :(

• So, is he doing an ultrasound? It sounds like it...I would see what happens there. Also, you state these are pregnancy symptoms....I don't know a lot of people doubled over in pain that are pregnant?

Anyway, it might be a cyst or something else, who knows? It sounds like you should know more after the ultrasound.

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You might need to talk to a different doctor. You might be experiencing extreme ovulation pain or an ovarian cyst rupturing or something along those lines. I'd get another opinion.

Also, those symptoms do not mirror being pregnant in my mind (unless you've got an ectopic pregnancy!)

ETA: oh I didn't see the part about the ultrasound. You will just know more then; your doctor is doing the right thing. 

As for that type of pain and pregnancy -- I did get pinch/stitch types of pain when I was pregnant, but only when I was 20+ weeks along and the pain was related to massive expansion going on in there. That kind of pain is really not common for early on in pregnancy. I'd say the most common early symptoms are tender breasts, morning sickness, and extreme fatigue. And most of those don't set in until about 5-6 weeks, a full week after the 2ww is over (so we should all chill out when we feel phantom symptoms! Myself included!)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't work yourself up. Wait for your ultrasound, you will get some answers from that. That's the next step, an u/s.
    TTC#2 Since July 2011
    Me: 29, had two blocked tubes - left was cleared during lap, right was unable to be cleared. PCOS & Stage 2 Endo. DH: 32, SA = perfect
    CLOMID: 4 rounds, 50mg + TI = BFN's. FEMARA: 1 round = no response
    12-24-2012 : Laparoscopy, Softball sized cyst/endo/scar tissue removed.
    Cycle #14 - Feb 2013 : 50mg clomid. Ovidrel Trigger. IUI on 2/14/13 = thin lining, multiple cysts.
    Cycle #15 - no meds, still have cysts, no follicles. Boo!
    Forced break. Continuous BCP for 6 weeks to give my jacked up ovaries a break.
    Cycle #16 actively trying (May/June): Femara, TI = BFN
    Cycle #17- #20 - Med/Treatment break, trying on our own = BFN's all around.
    Cycle #21 - Femara, MORE Femara, Ovidrel and a Christmas IUI = BFN
    MY BLOG -- About DD, TTC and everything in between!

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Oh yes, sorry didn't explain why I thought I was pregnant (other than having sex a whole lot during my high fertility days). The symptoms were a severe pinch which both times I thought was implantation (last a couple days and then went away) and the delayed period. Plus, I'd never had delayed period or pinching ever (and I'm 35) so it was a new feeling that happened to coincide with the time my partner and I decided to start trying to get pregnant. 

Yes, I have an ultrasound tomorrow and will know more for sure. I am just worried I've waited too long at 35. But you are right I should just wait and see. 

• Are you charting your BBT? Both times, you say that you experienced the pain about a week before your period was due, but then your period was "late". My guess is that you are actually ovulating later than you think, and are experiencing the pain during ovulation. If you start charting, you will be able to see if the pain happens during ovulation each month or if it is unrelated. In the meantime, hopefully an ultrasound will provide you with some answers.

DS 3/11 * CP 6/12 * BFP 12/10/12, EDD 8/20/13
    Pic3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imageJilllyBean:

So, is he doing an ultrasound? It sounds like it...I would see what happens there. Also, you state these are pregnancy symptoms....I don't know a lot of people doubled over in pain that are pregnant?

Anyway, it might be a cyst or something else, who knows? It sounds like you should know more after the ultrasound.

This is not meant to scare the OP. The only people I've known to double over in pain were from ectopic pregnancies, but those were pretty constant pain, not going away and coming back with cycles.

Hope you figure it out soon, OP. GL

Yep, but she isn't pregnant. And I don't think a lot of people have ectopic pregnancies.

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• Dude...severe, stabbing pain is not a pregnancy symptom, at least not one you want.  I'm going to go with the possibility of an ovarian cyst.  Your post was tl;dr, so I don't know what tests or evaluations your doctor is performing, but an ultrasound seems like a good idea.

• imageJET29:

Are you charting your BBT? Both times, you say that you experienced the pain about a week before your period was due, but then your period was "late". My guess is that you are actually ovulating later than you think, and are experiencing the pain during ovulation. If you start charting, you will be able to see if the pain happens during ovulation each month or if it is unrelated. In the meantime, hopefully an ultrasound will provide you with some answers.

Ovulation was my first thought, too, since I also get some wicked pinching around then. But the way OP describes it sounds a lot like the way other ladies here have described their cyst pain. 

OP, I hope you're able to get some answers with your ultrasound. Good luck.

• I don't think you need to see another doctor, considering the one you have is going to do an ultrasound. He seems to be doing the right thing, if you ask me.

That being said, I don't think the symptoms you described sound like pregnancy symptoms. The pinching definitely sounds like ovulation pain - I've had horrible O pain in the past. Are you sure that you aren't ovulating when you get this pain? Do you chart?

Lastly, I'm a little concerned that you just popped a Vicodin for a pinching pain in your abdomen....that's not really what that medicine is for. I don't want to sound preachy, but you really shouldn't take Vicodin for something unless your doctor tells you to.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Ahh yes, the Vicodin was leftover from a back injury (only had one) and the pain was so severe I thought that would help more than regular aspirin. It didn't help at all so wasn't worth taking after all. 

I haven't been on birth control and the stabbing pain I felt on my left side would last a few days (about a week before my period was due) then would go away and then come back the day my late period would finally start.

It does sound like an ovarian cyst (never had one before) but it freaked me out that it happened right when I started TTC (always used condoms before). I only recently started charting so maybe I am doing it wrong. Need to research this website more :) 

Thank you all for the replies and calming me down! I'm sure I'm just overreacting.

• I have had problems with ovarian cysts and thats pretty much exactly how they felt, horrible pain, I wish them upon no one! I hope everything is ok! Keep us updated, if you have any questions about ovarian cysts feel free to PM me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesunlavender:
    Bored today?
    Photobucket
  • I think you could have an ovarian cyst. I've had two and they were both extremely painful , even before they ruptured. Also, I have endometriosis and it can also be pretty painful at times.. however they cannot diagnose endo with an u/s. Most likely you have an ovarian cyst though.

Also, I think you should change doctors. It would upset me if I had horrible pain and my doctor said to "take an asprin"

BFP#1.11/2/12-EDD 7/16/13-M/C.11/6/12
    BFP#2 1/2/13 EDD 9/13/13 DS#2 8/19/13!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• imagespacepotatoes:
    imageJET29:

Are you charting your BBT? Both times, you say that you experienced the pain about a week before your period was due, but then your period was "late". My guess is that you are actually ovulating later than you think, and are experiencing the pain during ovulation. If you start charting, you will be able to see if the pain happens during ovulation each month or if it is unrelated. In the meantime, hopefully an ultrasound will provide you with some answers.

Ovulation was my first thought, too, since I also get some wicked pinching around then. But the way OP describes it sounds a lot like the way other ladies here have described their cyst pain. 

OP, I hope you're able to get some answers with your ultrasound. Good luck.

Yes, I think you are probably right. Good luck OP.
    DS 3/11 * CP 6/12 * BFP 12/10/12, EDD 8/20/13
    Pic3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"