Snarky and T-TTC

Random Question - wwyd?

Sorry to post this here.  I know it's so random but I've been tossing around the thought and need someone to bounce it off of: 

My husband and his family always refer to his sister being molested as a child.  I've always thought it was weird that they all seem to talk about it ALL THE TIME.  The reason my husband doesn't want ds in daycare is because his sister was molested in a daycare setting.  I recently found out this (supposedly) occurred when sil was under a year old.  So IF it happened at all she would have no recollection of it.  MIL is a huge drama queen so I'm wondering if the story is true at all.  Regardless, this is my question:  If you found out your infant child had been molested would you tell them about it when s/he was old enough?  It seems to me if the child had no memory of the event you're doing them a disservice to create that memory for them.  

Re: Random Question - wwyd?

• wrong board.

• Loading the player...
  • Ah, I get it.  So you can post about what you watch on TV, your status in the storm, and whatever you had for dinner last night but I can't ask questions about what's going on in my family.   Now I remember why I left the bump so long ago.  Hoped things had changed.  Guess not. 
  • imagesuperMiller:
    Ah, I get it.  So you can post about what you watch on TV, your status in the storm, and whatever you had for dinner last night but I can't ask questions about what's going on in my family.   Now I remember why I left the bump so long ago.  Hoped things had changed.  Guess not. 

Oh my word, lady, look at what board you're posting on. You can post whatever the hell you want, if it's on the appropriate board. Although, I think this is an extremely sensitive topic and should've had a warning in the title - even if you posted it on the right board.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Get off the cross SuperMiller, we need the wood. 

Seriously. First, when I think of a random question, I don't think of questionable child molestation. I think "I wonder if my dog actually watches TV while I'm gone. He seems to understand how the remote works", or "My coworker frequently eats in the bathroom, anything I can do to make this less awkward, or should I just show up and go potluck with her one day?"

If you're going to talk about a serious subject, because as you so eloquently point out we clearly only talk about fluff here, maybe post a teaser in the subject line. Something slightly less innocuous than "Random question, WWYD?". 

Out of all the boards on the bump, Snarky & T-TTC seemed like the best audience for this? Not, say, Parenting? Parenting after 35? School-Aged Children? Single Parents? Blended Families? Special Needs? Christ, I think Crafty Moms might have been a good choice for you. 

As for your question, I'm not sure if you're asking if your SILs trauma was legitimate or created, or if your Hs reluctance to put your son in daycare is valid. Regardless, counseling is the best answer for you. Talking with a professional with a background in child abuse, molestation, or repressed memories is probably the best place to start. For one, it sounds like you don't believe your SIL and that is some heavy stuff. It also sounds like you and your H are at odds on how to talk about difficult subjects. Best to discuss this with a professional, not just a bunch of internet strangers who only care about booze and road trips.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't tell my kid if she was young enough not to remember..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"