Graco Turbo Booster vs Turbo Surround — The Bump
Pre-School

Graco Turbo Booster vs Turbo Surround

I'm looking to get DS a booster seat for very occasional use in DH's truck.  I was looking at both yesterday at Target and the surround seat sees more substantial and plush but is double the price ($80 vs $40).  It looks more like a harnessed carseat.  I know the Turbo is often recommended on the boards.  DS actually liked the regular Turbo Booster more when he sat in it. 

Re: Graco Turbo Booster vs Turbo Surround

• I suppose it depends on how old he is and how tall/heavy. I used the turbobooster for dd1 from about age seven, but dd2 I would use something more like the surround if I needed a backup seat (she has a Frontier, but no seat for dh's car, we're looking into one.).

• He'll be 5 in April and weighs approximately 45lbs and 43" or so tall.  His time in the truck is pretty limited, maybe 15 minutes a week on average.  He'll stay in the 5pt in my car at least until spring, and I may end up getting a Frontier at that point. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekatie6/26/04:
    He'll be 5 in April and weighs approximately 45lbs and 43" or so tall.  His time in the truck is pretty limited, maybe 15 minutes a week on average.  He'll stay in the 5pt in my car at least until spring, and I may end up getting a Frontier at that point. 
    Either might be fine, but because of age/height, I'd lean towards the Turbo Surround. I didn't think to ask if there were headrests in the seat, because that would nix the Turbobooster. The Surround would last him a while anyway, both are portable and handy if you needed him to go with someone else. If you ever needed to do longer trips, then you'd be set as well. Oh and if he's at all fidgety, the seat belt would tend to stay in place better in highback mode.

• I don't know anything about the Turbo Surround, but DD1 has used the Turbo Booster high back version occasionally from about 4.5 years. We used it on vacation for a week back then, and after that it was our backup seat for grandma or my sister. We've been happy with it, and it gives a good booster fit. DD1 has also been able to use it without the back since she turned 6 (she was 49" at 6), and it still fits her perfectly. Our full time boosters are both Recaros (Vivo and ProBooster). If you're looking to spend closer to $80, I'd probably look into the SK/Diono Monterey. I hear it recommended all the time, especially for boys, and it's $100 here. 

http://www.babyviva.com/product/car-seat-finder/999513-5492/sunshine-kids-monterey-booster-car-seat.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CNv-3-3167MCFUWo4AodfCMAHg

The Recaro Vivo is $70 at Toys R Us online right now.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards