May 2012 Moms

Meats?

My MIL was horrified yesterday when I offered DD shredded turkey.. she said that they can't have meat until 8 months. Input/experience?
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meats?

• Nope old school thought. Some studies say it can be first, blw offers from six months on.
    I gave Lucas cranberry sauce just a little but he got all of that in his mouth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I'm in Canada and it's listed as a starter food for babies at 6 months in our government health guide for children. We've started purees for tastes to peak her interest, but she'll get meat at 6 months.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have a book that says that you should actually introduce meats close to 6 months, especially ones high in iron. Babies' iron supplies deplete a lot by 6 months because the remainder of what they got in utero wears away by then. It recommends starting with things like liver and chicken stock - not sure about turkey.

I also know that the new Canadian solid guidelines also recommend starting with meats before grains and the such. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At our 6 month check-up today the pedi said to start on stage 2 foods which includes the blends with meats so I will start them soon. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Another Canadian chiming in that the new guidelines say to start with meat at 6mo. Apparently the iron in meat is more easily absorbed than that in grains.
    Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pediatrician advised us to wait until 6 months (we began experimenting with little tastes of solids at 4 months) so their kidneys would be mature enough to handle the protein. She said feel free to go for it after 6 months though
  • We waited until 6 months to start meat.  They turned 6 months old on the 17th so I decided to give them turkey as their first meat on Thanksgiving day. OMG, they hated it!!  Anyway, 6 months is what we went with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"