Military Families

PT test post pregnancy(breastfeeding)...any experiences?

I am pregnant with our first child and I'm wondering if anyone else has any advice for getting back into shape for the pt test. I know that I have six months to recover, but I would really like to pass it earlier. I'm a reservist now and when I was AD, I was never pregnant so I don't know what PPT consists of. Right now I am trying to continue some exercise and eating healthy. I plan to breastfeed and I am worried that will make running painful. Can anyone share your experiences about breastfeeding and doing PT or just about taking the PT test again after giving birth?

Re: PT test post pregnancy(breastfeeding)...any experiences?

• I can't help you with the PT test stuff, but so long as you have a quality sports bra that fits well, running will not be painful. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a C-section and got a score of 90 when I took my PT test, I too was nursing and pumping at the time.  It takes time to put the baby weight on and it takes time to get it off.  Eat healthy and after you give birth, walk your baby, walk, walk, when the time is right start slow with push ups and sit ups and running.  If you start too soon you can hurt yourself and delay it all.

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you are doing everything right by continuing to exercise and eating healthy.  Try to keep it up until the end as best as possible.  Being in good shape will really help with labor and delivery as well as your recovery.

After baby is born, do not try to exercise during those first 6 weeks. Focus on your new baby and yourself.  It is such a special bonding time that it seems silly to worry about PT tests during that time.  Walking is good but make sure you give your body the proper time to recover.  Growing and delivering a baby is hard work for your body.  Just wait for your 6 week pp check up to get the thumbs up to gradually start running again. 

I do not know your motivation for testing earlier than the 6 month mark but in my experience, I have had plenty of time to get back into shape after each baby by 6 months.  I breastfed and pumped for both of them and it was never an issue with working out.  A great, supportive, appropriately fitting sports bra is all you need.  After 3-4 months, your supply should be starting to equilibrate. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am an AGR for the National Guard, and you are given 6 months to pass APFT and HW, pending you are cleared from your DR. The best way was to ease back into a light PT routine. Start with low impact cardio, if you can swim (and are brave enough to go to a pool) then that is the best, because your joints are still lose and are going back to normal and the extra weight you still have. Drink lots of water. I BF my son and still do (16months) and i recommend spending some extra on a few good sports bras and doubling if needed.

The number ONE thing I tell any female is don't starve yourself, you will still need the calories to BF and for you to function. A work out buddy is always good too, s good support team, at home and work always helps too. It took time to get that way it takes time to get back.

I passed my APFT at 4 months with a 220, and I was on bed rest for most of my pregnancy, so it can be done.

• My best advice is that the hard work starts in pregnancy. My bmi was 26 when I got pregnant so I knew I my recommended weight gain was 25lbs max. My regular diet and being overweight meant I was overeating on a typical day by 100200 calories per day so I tried not to change my pregnancy eating habits at all knowing my cravings would make up the extra 100cal I needed . I continued to work out, running until week 22 when I felt discomfort, kept walking laps in the pool daily until i got put on bedrest at 31 wks. I got cleared for working out at four weeks and starting running and crossfit. Bottom line is I listened to my body and continued to work out and eat as normal unless my body told me otherwise. Pt test is next month... We will see how that goes!
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • Forgot to comment on breastfeeding... I was back to prepreg weight in two weeks I think due in a large part to breastfeeding. Running at first was painful bc for whatever reason in the beginning bf was a huge pain nipples esp but I'm still bf and even did a half marathon early this month. Pumping just before running ESP if it's a long run is key. I also wear three bras... Two running bras and a running top with a bra inside. I guess I could've bought an expensive bra but breast sizes vary so much with pregnancy/childbirth...
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"