Pre-School and Daycare
Options

4 year old stuttering suddenly?

My 4 year old son recently started to stutter over the first word or two of sentences quite frequently.  Dr. Google says that it is not that uncommon in preschoolers but I guess I want to hear if others had the same problem and if it resolved itself.

The only things I can think of that may be stressing him is us gearing up for a new baby or that we moved him to his own room (he seems really excited about having his own room though).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 4 year old stuttering suddenly?

• Options
    DD began fumbling words for a little while about a year ago.  We would stop her, tell her to think about what she wanted to say and then say it.  She was just getting too worked up and excited and couldn't get the words out fast enough.  Her brain was just faster then her lips. 
  • Options

imageStackeye210:
    DD began fumbling words for a little while about a year ago.  We would stop her, tell her to think about what she wanted to say and then say it.  She was just getting too worked up and excited and couldn't get the words out fast enough.  Her brain was just faster then her lips. 

We've been going through this a couple weeks.  At times I also tell her to stop and think first.  I agree it is excitement...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS started stuttering about 6 mos ago. I am sure professional opinions may vary but I was always told to never to point it out and not make it a big deal. They can experience frustration or fear. Other kids in my family went through the same during pre-school years and some outgrew it quickly. DS has now started speech therapy at school (he is 5 so this is through the elementary school but they offer similar services to kids in pre-k). The speech pathologist will give him techniques that will help him. She confirmed his case is mild to moderate so I hope he grows out of it soon. 

I found the following website useful  https://www.stutteringhelp.org/faqs-parents

• Options
    I was going to post about this as well! My almost 4 yr old has started stuttering in the last 2+ weeks. To the point that he can't even get his thoughts out at all sometimes! We've been ignoring it for now and I'll ask the Pedi when we go in a few months if he's still doing it! Must just be a 4yr old thing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

My 4 year old son just started this in the past 2 weeks.  Its usually when he is excited or trying to tell us something he will just say, "um, um, um, um...." then get on with the sentence.  I also googled it found out its pretty normal at this age.  I also thought that maybe it was from his brain moving faster than his mouth lol, or possibly excitement/stressing over the birth of his baby sister.

I usually ignore it or once in a while just tell him to slow down to get the words out.  I try not to make a big deal.

• Options
    Very normal for that age. Talk to pedi of you're worried, but they typically outgrow it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"