Minnesota Babies
Options

Infertility clinic/reproductive endocrinologist?

Hi all, former local nestie (different screen name) now TTC and... having some issues.  Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good infertility clinic or reproductive endocrinologist in the Twin Cities area?  I'm googling, but... without any personal recommendations, it's hard to pull the trigger and pick one to call.  

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you can provide! 

Re: Infertility clinic/reproductive endocrinologist?

• Options

We used the Center for Reproductive Medicine and saw Dr. Erickson.  We were successful with our 1st IVF cycle.

They have great success rates but are a big clinic so unfortunately at time I did feel like just a number there. 

• Options
    imageJessJ222:

We used the Center for Reproductive Medicine and saw Dr. Erickson.  We were successful with our 1st IVF cycle.

They have great success rates but are a big clinic so unfortunately you are just a number there. 

We also used dr erickson at center for reproductive medicine! I cannot say enough good things about her and her clinic and her staff!! I adore them! Can't wait to go back and see them again when we are ready for number 2! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Another Center for Reproductive Medicine graduate. :-)  We saw Dr. Campbell and loved him!! All of the staff are wonderful!  www.ivfminnesota.com

Good luck making a decision.

• Options

Thanks so much for the replies so far!  Center for Reproductive Medicine and the Reproductive Medicine Center (UMN - Physicians) were the two that kept coming up in my google searches...  glad to have hear some good recommendations for one of them!  

Out of curiosity, how did you select CRM vs. another clinic (like RMC-UMN)? Were you referred there?  

Thanks again for the help!  I've been floundering in indecision about this for a while now, and... it's just really great to hear from some local women with experiences with this. 

• Options

Another vote for CRM!  We used Dr. Campbell based on recs from two friends who had successful pregnancies with him (both used different methods).  We were successful on our 1st round of IVF :)

Good Luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagePaia OM:

Thanks so much for the replies so far!  Center for Reproductive Medicine and the Reproductive Medicine Center (UMN - Physicians) were the two that kept coming up in my google searches...  glad to have hear some good recommendations for one of them!  

Out of curiosity, how did you select CRM vs. another clinic (like RMC-UMN)? Were you referred there?  

Thanks again for the help!  I've been floundering in indecision about this for a while now, and... it's just really great to hear from some local women with experiences with this. 

We choose CRM based on the fact they have the best success rate in the State.  Have you checked out sart.org yet? They give you the success rates of all the clinics in the U.S

• Options
    imageJessJ222:
    We used the Center for Reproductive Medicine and saw Dr. Erickson.nbsp; We were successful with our 1st IVF cycle.They have great success rates but are a big clinic so unfortunately at time I did feel like just a number there.nbsp;

We also used Dr. Erickson and did IVF and were successful on first round. They have the best success rates in the twin cities. We didn't really "feel like a number," but would have liked more interaction with our doctor.
  • Options

My husband and I were seeing an RE at a HealthPartners clinic in St. Paul where we did 3 IUIs. They were all un-monitored and failed. I think the doctor there was just a bit old school and didn't think that monitoring the cycle (or doing any bloodwork monitoring for that matter - he said it wasn't relevant when I asked if we should be checking hormone levels) made a difference.

We moved on to another clinic - OGI (Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility) to try IUI #4. It was completely monitored and they did a ton of bloodwork before and during (and low and behold we found out my progesterone level was low). Our IUI failed, but the clinic doctors and nurses were WONDERFUL and we felt like they were very thorough and wanted to do everything they could to make this happen for us. We will definitely be returning there when we are finally pregnant.Smile

We are now moving on to IVF at CRM with Dr. Campbell. Consult appointment is this week! We've heard wonderful things about him as well and a friend of mine got pregnant successfully with his help. Good luck!

**TTC #1 Sep 2009-Feb 2013**   Me: 33 DH: 32 (healthy, SA = normal)

DX (May 2010) = Lap #1 showed Stage I-II endometriosis. HSG normal. Tx with 6 mo Lupron (which did nothing...) Lap #2 June 2011 to remove endo, uterine fibroid, and polyp

IUI #1-#3 (July-Sep 2011): All Clomid 50 mg + unmonitored IUI = All BFN

October 2011 - April 2012: Outta $$$ (no insurance coverage) = back to tryin' on our own

May 2012 - August 2012: Mental break from trying

October 2012: New OB. Bloodwork normal aside from slightly low progesterone

November 2012: IUI #4: Letrozole 2.5 mg + Novarel trigger + monitored IUI + progesterone = BFN

IVF #1: Long Lupron Protocol,Menopur,Follistim, ER = 2/12/13 27R/26M/23F

2/17/13 Transferred 1 perfect Grade 1 blast. 17 frostbabies.

HPT 7dp5dt: BFP!!! Beta #1 9dp5dt: 108 Beta #2 11dp5dt: 368

U/S #1 3/21: Heartbeat and one perfect bean!!  DS born 11/6/13 via c-section

TTC #2 March - August 2015 = all BFNs

Prep for FET #1: Aug 2015: found "mass" in uterus on saline sonogram; scheduled a hysteroscopy to remove. 

Sept 2015: Hysteroscopy: mass turned out to be scar tissue(?), all removed. Recheck saline sonogram 2 weeks later showed "stuff" still in uterus (more scar tissue? remnants from surgery? Will see if clears with a period). Recheck saline sonogram 1 week later: all clear! Start Lupron and Estrace. Follow up u/s 2 weeks later: uterine lining only 5mm, add in patches. Follow up u/s 1 week later: uterine lining = 4.3mm (argh!), stop estrace and patches and start estradiol injections twice/week. Follow up u/s 2 weeks later: uterine lining = 5mm :/ Instructed to keep on estradiol injections and recheck in 5 days = lining still at 5mm. Need to make a decision - go for it? Or toss in the towel w/ this cycle and start all over again next year with a new protocol. Decided to go for it as we had 17 frosties; what have we got to lose?? 

12/2/15 = transferred 1 perfect Grade B blast

12/9/15 = HPT - BFP!!!!

Beta #1 12/11/15: 236    Beta #2  12/14/15: 503   Please stick little one!!!!

U/S scheduled for week of 1/4/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  
  • Options
    We chose CRM because a friend recommended after a successful pregnancy!
  • Options

Thank you all so much for your recommendations and advice--I really appreciate it! And thanks, Jess, for telling me about sart.org -- I wasn't aware of that organization, and the clinic rankings will be helpful for sure. 

Thanks again everyone :)   

• Options

imageTaylorandMel:
    imageJessJ222:
    We used the Center for Reproductive Medicine and saw Dr. Erickson.nbsp; We were successful with our 1st IVF cycle.They have great success rates but are a big clinic so unfortunately at time I did feel like just a number there.nbsp;
    We also used Dr. Erickson and did IVF and were successful on first round. They have the best success rates in the twin cities. We didn't really "feel like a number," but would have liked more interaction with our doctor.

I think this is more what I meant by "feel like a number" You meet with the Dr once and then all of your monitoring and other appointments are with the nurses until the actual day of retrieval/transfer.  I know there are some clinics in the US (none in MN that I know of) that the Dr does all the ultrasounds and monitoring appointments.  Since this is a big clinic, this sort of personal attention from the Dr is not possible.

• Options
    Thanks for the clarification, Jess - that's helpful to know!
  • Options
    We also used CRM, saw Dr Malo there for our IUI that worked! We had previously been at RMIA and had an unsuccessful IUI there. We switched due to insurance coverage but I do like CRM better. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Sarah!
  • Options

I'm a bit late to the game here, but hopefully you still see this post.  I used both CRM and RMC and I definitely have some feedback!

I went to RMC (at UofMN) first.  I saw Dr. Damario and he performed a myomectomy last fall, which was the original reason that I went to that clinic.  Once I had recovered from that surgery, we started TTC through that clinic and I was pretty unhappy with my experience there.  I felt like they didn't listen to my concerns, and had no interest in using the information that I provided to them about my cycle and my body (I had over 3 years of charting data).  As it turns out, because they ignored that information, they tested me for hormone levels on completely incorrect days in my cycle setting me up for failure in my IUI's.

Due to my concerns about my care at RMC, and also a nice change in insurance that allowed me to explore other RE's in the area, I went to CRM for a second opinion and saw Dr. Kuneck.  He was AWESOME!  He sat and talked with me for almost an hour across his desk, gave me great advice, and worked out a protocol for me for my next IUI, understanding that the actual procedure would still need to take place at RMC (they had our last vial of donor sperm held hostage there).  With his advice and protocol, we were successful on that last attempt.

Good luck to you!  If your insurance coverage allows, I would send you to CRM.  If not, please understand that I think the providers are RMC are certainly capable, but you definitely would need to advocate heavily for yourself and be as educated as possible to make sure that you are getting the care you need.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options

Thank you JGY -- that is really helpful feedback. I'm sorry that you had a poor experience at RMC... It is really sounding like CRM is the place to go, even though the location isn't as convenient.  

Thanks again to everyone -- I really appreciate the input! 

• Options
    imageSpockles:

Another Center for Reproductive Medicine graduate. :-)  We saw Dr. Campbell and loved him!! All of the staff are wonderful!  www.ivfminnesota.com

Good luck making a decision.

this  

• Options
    Another recommendation for Center for Reproductive Medicine.  I saw Dr Campbell and got pg on our 1st IUI.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks again, everyone!  I will call CRM this week.  I'm not sure why I'm being such a chicken about it, but all these positive reviews are helping to further my resolve to call them, anxiety aside. 
  • Options
    It's a huge decision (and very emotional one!) so don't beat yourself up! You'll do great once you go and see CRM....they are fantastic!
  • Options
    imageCypress82:

My husband and I were seeing an RE at a HealthPartners clinic in St. Paul where we did 3 IUIs. They were all un-monitored and failed. I think the doctor there was just a bit old school and didn't think that monitoring the cycle (or doing any bloodwork monitoring for that matter - he said it wasn't relevant when I asked if we should be checking hormone levels) made a difference.

We moved on to another clinic - OGI (Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility) to try IUI #4. It was completely monitored and they did a ton of bloodwork before and during (and low and behold we found out my progesterone level was low). Our IUI failed, but the clinic doctors and nurses were WONDERFUL and we felt like they were very thorough and wanted to do everything they could to make this happen for us. We will definitely be returning there when we are finally pregnant.Smile

We are now moving on to IVF at CRM with Dr. Campbell. Consult appointment is this week! We've heard wonderful things about him as well and a friend of mine got pregnant successfully with his help. Good luck!

I just wanted to say that I also go to OGI and love it. They don't do IVF :( but would be a great place to use for an OB/gyn in the future when you graduate from an RE. All of the staff there is super nice, helpful, and they truly care. I've had the CNPs crying in the ultrasound room with me when a cycle was cancelled or when my ectopic occurred.  You are never just another patient or another number. 

imageSuz+Mo:
    It's a huge decision (and very emotional one!) so don't beat yourself up! You'll do great once you go and see CRM....they are fantastic!

Thank you!! :)   

• Options
    Thanks Shayliz!  I just looked up OGI's website, and they sounds great.  They're located a little far from me, but I'll definitely keep them in mind... 

Thank you again everyone! I'm in the process of setting up an appointment with CRM now!
  • Options
    This is really late, and it sounds like you've made a decision already.  But, I can also say that I went to CRM and saw Dr. Kuneck and don't have a bad thing to say.  We got pregnant with DD after 1 failed round of clomid (did not make it to IUI due to no response), and 1 round of follistim with IUI (after which we got our BFP).  We conceived DS (still pregnant) naturally (with the help of Metformin) after a repeat HSG and blood tests at CRM.  We were gearing up for IUI's, but didn't make it to that point.  Dr. Kuneck was extremely supportive through all of it, including wanting to try naturally while saving money for upcoming procedures (even though our odds were very much against us).  He always gave it to us straight, but with compassion and understanding.  Anytime I had a question, he took his time to make sure it was answered, and when I had a question for a nurse that they couldn't get answered, Dr. Kuneck would call me directly.  Very positive experience, and if we were to decide to see a RE again (I think we're done after this), we would go back to Dr. Kuneck at CRM without hesitation.
  • Options

I'm really late here, but I wanted to put my plug in for Dr. Kuneck at CRM as well.  Full disclosure, I didn't get pregnant while going to CRM, but I still feel like a success story.  

I had gone two years without a period and went to countless Dr's who would just scratch their heads, tested my hormone levels and thyroid and tell me there's nothing they could do because everything was "normal".  I started at CRM on the recommendations of several women in my RESOLVE support group.  Dr. Kuneck met with my husband and I and spent well over an hour asking questions, looking over my charts, and the best was explaining to my husband what he thought would help us (I mean literally drawing him pictures and everything).  I finally felt like I was being listened too, and DH was finally understanding what the female reproductive system was all about.

He had me ovulating the next cycle, and because DH's numbers were good, he didn't think we needed to spend the money on IUI, and to just time intercourse.  When the next cycle started DH was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and the staff at CRM was incredible in supporting us and helping us muddle through where, when, and how much sperm we should be setting aside if treatments rendered him infertile.  I didn't get pregnant the second cycle, and we stopped IF treatments to concentrate on DH's cancer.  After leaving CRM, I continued to have regular cycles, and we found out we were pregnant on our own about 9 months later.

If I have trouble in the future, I would not hesitate to go to CRM and see Dr. Kuneck again. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    I know this is a super old thread, but I have my first appointment at CRM today with Dr. Malo and am extremely nervous. These positive reports about the treatment you all received there has given me a big sense of relief. Thank you!
  • Options
    @mattmi01 - I just got pregnant thanks to Dr. Malo (after wasting 6 months at the RMC at the U of M - awful, awful experience). I was terrified to go after such a bad experience with our first RE but my fears were for nothing. Dr. Malo was amazing and his nurses and front desk staff were even better! I was pregnant 6 weeks after our first appointment with Dr. Malo! 

Good luck today! 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    Our TTC Journey: Me: 39 (short luteal phase, hypothyroidism) DH: 41 (no problems)
    Pre-TTC: worked with a physician nutritionist on health improvement to naturally increase LP and get healthy.
    Cycles 1-9: Supplemented with progesterone during LP and acupuncture. All BFN's. 
    Cycle 10: switched to a new RE, medicated IUI and continued acupuncture. BFP! EDD: 2/5/15. Beta 1: 49; Beta 2: 151; Beta 3: 1878. 7w4d HB was 153. 
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

Good luck, @mattmi01!  Don't worry, you'll be in good hands.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    I love, love love love CRM!  Dr. Colleen Casey was my RE and she is amazing. She *listens* which is sometimes a problem with physicians in the infertility field and she was supportive of the care I wanted/needed and an aggressive action plan. Above and beyond that- the staff there is fantastic. Super friendly, very organized. I love them! And, its easy to navigate to and park at (which was a huge point in the win column on their account for me. lol)
    PCOS- finally pregnant after 3 years of IF treatment, including 4 failed IUI. 

Lucky IUI #5 currently growing in my belly! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    CRM. Dr Casey- she rocks! I cried when I left them to go to a regular OB. The entire staff is friendly and warm. I never felt like they were rushing me around. The one negative is that everything you purchase is a package. So we ended up paying for ICSI even though we did not need it. That was $1000!!!! Other than that financial crap, I really liked them.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"