Adoption
Options

General Costs? Type of Adoption?

So we have recently started down the journey of exploring infertility treatments and adoption.  We want to know all our options and make the best choice for us and our future child.  We have appointments with all agencies and REs to learn our options, but they are both a month away.  It's weird...when we first started TTC I was worried about how much a baby could cost.  Now I'm worried about the costs of bringing a child into our lives--however it may happen.    Please help cure my anxiety and curiosity by answering...

location/state?

type of adoption?(international? domestic? infant? toddler?)

cost?

Thanks in advance ladies!  This may help me sleep tonight Wink

TTC our first, both age 29 BFP#1 Twins, Missed MC with complications (long story) BFP#2 CP DX: DH-no issues Me-PAI-1 1/2013 Hysteroscopy/Laparoscopy to remove polyp and adhesions March 2013 IUI #1 with Follitism + Trigger

Re: General Costs? Type of Adoption?

• Options

We will be using an adoption agency to complete our domestic infant adoption.  We are located in Texas.  Our agency uses a sliding scale based on annual income (avg. of the last 2 year) - we are at the very lowest end of the scale and will be paying about $22,000 in agency fees, plus an additional $1,000 or so in legal fee to finalize the adoption.

The answers you get will vary DRAMATICALLY - from near-zero cost (adopting from the foster care system sometimes is at no cost to the adoptive family) to upwards of $50,000 for international adoptions.

• Options

We adopted in PA, and adopted a child born in PA (there are fees associated with interstate adoption, due to legal paperwork)

Domestic infant adoption

$34K

I would encourage you to check out the FAQs if you haven't already. There are resources there, including a rundown of types of adoption, costs associated with each, how to fundraise, etc.

GL

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am adopting from foster care, so there are no legal, agency, or application fees.
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as lizlemon2. I adopted my daughter through foster care and while it cost me $500 up front, I was reimbursed for the entire amount, plus court fees. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My daughter was born in SF.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We live in IL.  It will cost us close to 30,000 when everything is all done.  We are hoping the adoption tax credit will be signed and we can get back then at least 10,000-13,000 dollars when the adoption is finalized, but we won't know that until the next month or two.

Infertility really did not cost us anything do to insurance covering it.  We have 1 failed IVF cycle under our belts with 3 more remaining to try that would be 100% covered.  Crazy to think we are giving up right now trying something that is free and spending almost 30,000 dollars instead(which is more then out of pocket IVF too!)....sometimes you just need a mental break and know we will eventually have an outcome(a baby) is why we are doing adoption right now and trying IVF again later.

7/18/12-1st RE appointment CD2 blood work taken. Told to move straight to IVF. Starting BC pills and FSH injections plus Lupron. Hopefully doing ET in September Off BCP March 2011 Started TTC July 2011 7 months TTC with no luck an then.... Diagnosed 2/24/12 with 2 Ovarian Cysts. 3/22/12-Lap to remove cysts, look for endo, and see if tubes are clear. 3/22/12-Diagnosed with Severe Endo(tubes are clear). 4/4/12-Post op OBGYN appointment. Told chances of conceiving naturally are very low, but told conceiving in the next few months is our best chance due to being cleaned out during Lap. Referred to a RE. RE said IVF is our only chance to get pregnant. Told only a 20% chance even with two put in. 9/5-Lupron 9/20 Stims(Menopur & Follistim) 9/30 Trigger time 10/2 ER 10/3 fert report-out of 7 eggs retrieved only 2 fertilized. Hello "Thing 1 and Thing 2!" Kinda sad there is none to freeze. Because only 2 we will have 2DT to get them back into a natural envionment 10/4 ET. Found out that only 1 divided. We love you "Thing 2." Thing 1 is now snuggled inside me and we are praying it will be our take home baby! **Did not even make it to my beta, the day before on 10/16/12 I got my F'in period** Such a stab in the heart. Nov 2012-Moving onto domestic newborn adoption! Can't wait for my take home baby. We will try IVF again after 1-2 years of a clear head. Need a break from infertility treatments/issues for my mental sanity! image
  • Options
    We did a domestic agency adoption. Our sons birth patents are local. We paid an agency fee of 24k, about 2,000 in lawyer fees and maybe another 700 or so in other costs like printing out our profile books, taking them out for meals past the first few that the agency paid for, etc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You will find such a wide range

1st adoption was NY to NJ at about 30k plus about 4k in hotel expenses for domestic newborn African American male adoption. Wait time =zero. Just homestudy approved.

2nd adoption FL to IA at 41k plus 6 weeks in hotel 10k in hotel/travel/hotel living costs for domestic newborn African American girl adoption. Wait time = zero. Just homestudy approved.

The thing to note is that on average African American adoptions are generally about half the cost of ours.

We used American Adoptions where you set your own budget with min of. 19,500.

Our second adoption with them was brought to them by a law firm that handles adoptions but had no waiting families for AA babies. The cost was increased because they wanted a cut too plus they refused to allow icpc to begin until courts terminated bio dads rights/added to putitive father registry 30 days since he was denying he was the dad and refusing to relinquish rights. Very frustrating.

I think average for American adoptions AA cases is 22k plus 06 mo wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"