Blended Families

When things can't get worse for my brother

they do. He had a stroke yesterday. This is actually his second. He has a very minor one in Feb. 2011 and the only residual effect he had was that he still had somewhat of a slur that made it seem like he had drank a few too many even when he had nothing to drink. This time it was more major. He's still in the hospital and they are planning on keeping him at least a few days longer. There is some slight swelling and the stoke was located in the lower right part of his brain near the brain stem so they are are worried that any more swelling might compromise that. He cannot walk at this point, but is not paralyzed. His speech is extremely difficult to understand. He will need rehab services this time for speech and motor skills. He is 39....

My older sister has his kids at her house. His FI and my oldest nephew (the one that lived with me) are camping out at the hospital. What is sad is that the older 3 kids BM actually came to the hospital and came in to drop off my oldest nephew late last night when my sister was there getting the kids and she not take the other 2 kids (that are hers) home with her...

Today when I was up there, I told his FI don't even think about buying anyone else anything for Christmas (meaning no drawing, ect.). I wanted to make sure she knew that no one expected anything from them so do not fret. Now she is going to have lost wages from missing work to be at the hospital with him. My brother is uninsured and is now also not capable at this point of watching the 2 youngest kids (nearly 3 and 8 months) so his FI can work. So she also has the added frustration of figuring out how to find childcare when they cannot afford to pay for it. They moved an hour away from us less than a month ago. She works about 30 mins from where most of the family lives. The older kids' BM's mom did offer to help watch the kids because she is not working anymore but I'm not sure where she lives to know if that's even possible.

So please keep them in your thoughts and prayers if you pray! Thanks!

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

Re: When things can't get worse for my brother

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"