New to The Bump

Advice I wish I'd had when I first started posting....

Welcome all new moms and moms to be, and of course dads. I recently found out I was pregnant after 3 months of trying to conceive. I can tell you, I was excited to start using the message boards for advice. Although, I wish I would have had someone give me a bit more info on how this whole message board system works.

So, in hopes of helping others that have recently joined thebump community, let me give you some advice. Advice I would have appreciated as I started this journey. 

1. Make sure you are well aware of the board trends/topics/be aware of what members are currently posting. For example, If you are TTC (trying to conceive) and you get a BFP (big fat positive), it would be appropriate for you to post your BFP questions or comments on the "first trimester" board as opposed to the "TTC" board.

There is a message board for almost every category of question you could come up with, for example you may think questions about cloth diapering would fall under "Eco-friendly family", when in actuality there is a board strictly for "cloth diapering". Simply click all boards for a full list.

In general, those that post a lot and are invested in their board may become territorially. Do not get offended if a member tells you to move to another board, or asks to not be updated on your status.

2. Introduce yourself within your first post. This goes back to member ownership. Many moms like to get to know new moms/advice givers. This also creates meaningful relationships, ensuring trusting advice. 

3. Be honest. These boards thrive on honesty and collective experience. I was scared to ask certain questions as I progress through the weeks. However, now I know that fear was nothing to be concerned with...let the questions fly.

4.Be Respectful. We can all acknowledge that we are dealing with a crazy, hormonal, life changing experience.  I know tempers can fly, but please try to understand that there are a lot of differing personalities being represented. Not everyone will agree with your advice, or your comment so just take everything with a HUGE grain of salt. Remain open and you should be fine.

I hope this helps, just take a minute to think before you post...just as you would in a face-to-face conversation. Thanks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice I wish I'd had when I first started posting....

• Also, NEVER ask if you are pregnant.  Sometimes it seems like girls create an account and then instantly post it on a message board.  It never turns out well.  Make sure you lurk first. 

my read shelf:
    Nicole's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

Vacation
  • YesYes
    TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAmbsies:

If you're nervous about asking a question on the boards, try a quick Google search instead.  Just put site:community.thebump.com before your question.  

For  example, search for:
    site:community.thebump.com "disappearing symptoms"
    and you'll find a ton of old posts about that topic.

HTH :)

There is a search feature at the bottom of the boards too that will only search the bump. Sometimes the question or topic you want to talk about has been hashed out, but it was several weeks ago, so hard to find.

And honesty is great, but try to be nice, as some people are truly not well informed and are not trying to create MUD (made up drama).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice!Smile

~Everyone and new friends welcome ~

My Ovulation Chart

TTC#1 since November 2012
    MC on 6/24/13 at 7w2d

My Furbaby
    photo 31.jpg
  • Yes to all of this.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• imageJWilMommy:
    imageAmbsies:

If you're nervous about asking a question on the boards, try a quick Google search instead.  Just put site:community.thebump.com before your question.  

For  example, search for:
    site:community.thebump.com "disappearing symptoms"
    and you'll find a ton of old posts about that topic.

HTH :)

There is a search feature at the bottom of the boards too that will only search the bump. Sometimes the question or topic you want to talk about has been hashed out, but it was several weeks ago, so hard to find.

And honesty is great, but try to be nice, as some people are truly not well informed and are not trying to create MUD (made up drama).

cool 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"