Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Hello there, expensive diaper bag

Do you change the baby's diaper for me or something? Why are you so expensive? I just found this diaper bag on amazon. I meant to sort price low to high but I went high to low instead, oops. So is Kate Spade really that awesome? It doesn't even look practical. I wonder how many celebrities tote it around! Thankfully I don't find it that cute. The one I like is under $100 which works for me! What is your diaper bag budget?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Hello there, expensive diaper bag

• Options

Holy crap!  For that price, it better change the baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Honestly, if you think about how much and how long you use a diaper bag, it's worth investing a bit of money in. If it's something I am going to be carrying around, I want it to be nice and fashionable. I have a Coach bag now that I paid $300 for that I've used for over 2 1/2 years now. With #3 on the way in January, I will be getting another (different) one since I'm tired of carrying the same bag for all this time!!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have that bag and it definitely does not change my babies for me.  It is really cute, however, so I take it with me on shorter trips.
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Options
    It looks like a beach bag I bought at Wal-mart for $5. You are just paying for the name!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's really expensive! And I bought the same bag for $100 at a Kate spade outlet a few months ago, except it has polka dots instead of stripes. It's actually very functional, but I would never spend $400 on it. I imagine lots of women who spend that kind of money on handbags would easily spend it on this
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DH bought me a Coach diaper bag when we found out I was expecting, as a special gift. I would have searched the outlet near my house for bargains, but he had a friend who worked for corporate, and he got 60% a regular bag. At that discount,and for the fact that I would definitely carry it after baby for work/travel; it became a more reasonable purchase. Now, I can only hope it's as functional as it is stylish! 
  • Options
     I am getting a JuJuBe which is $165 as a birthday gift from my fiance. As far as budget I think everyones different in the amount they spend on anything purses, jeans, sunglasses etc. Would I spend $400 on a bag no but I don't think its crazy that someone would.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love that bag but I would never spend that much money on a diaper bag. 
  • Options
    That's a terrible price for that bag. I have it in a different pattern and I think I paid maybe $130 right from katespade.com during a sale. I really like the bag a lot and the changing pad that comes with it is by far the most high quality pad that I've seen come with a diaper bag (I change diaper bags like I change purses-- I have quite a few!)I particularly like that it doesn't scream diaper bag and it's a really comfortable bag to carry. Don't buy it there though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think it's really cute, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. 
  • Options
    I paid more than that for my diaper bag, but I wouldn't pay that price for THAT specific bag.  DD is 3 and my diaper bag still looks new.  I'm pregnant with #2, and plan to use the same bag for the next kid, so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
  • Options
    I don't have that particular bag but I do have a Kate Spade that I bought at the outlet and paid about 120 for. I think is is very reasonable considering how often I use it and that it is a very functional bag. I also have a ju ju be packabe that I bought on a boutique shopping site for a great deal. They serve different purposes and I don't regret either bag. Both are very neutral and DH doesn't mind carrying them.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I wouldn't spend that much on a diaper bag. A bag for myself yes. But something where you will have food and potentially dirty clothes I would bother.

My son is one. I rarely if ever take my diaper bag anywhere. I got a skip hop duo. Works great when I actually take it out. I mostly use it when I travel or if we are going to be away from home for a large part of the day.
  • Options
    When I was young I used free one I got a first OB appointment lol!!! But now being older, having a bit more money and being slightly more fashionable the my 20 year old self I plan on actually buying one...just not one over $100.

• Options

Well, IMO that is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a diaper bag, granted that I only used mine for a little over a year and not even all the time

The one I got this time around was around 80 euros but was in sale at 35

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

For a bag I use every, single day, I tend to pay up for really good quality designer purses & bags.  But, I will shop a sale or Outlet only for those items, no reason to pay full price!

I bought a Coach diaper bag at the outlets for like $130, and I'm super happy with it.  It was my splurge baby purchase, and doubles as my purse.  I take good care of my belongings, and its not a toy for baby.  I'd rather spend money on something nice for myself, then on a baby crib that LO will chew on, or fancy PBK crib sheets that will just get puked & pooped on all over (I use sheets from Target).  Its great quality and will last for years.  I plan to turn it into a work bag for me once its life as a diaper bag is over. 

I personally LOVE the Stevie bags too, but you can absolutely find it significantly cheaper at the store on sale, or at an outlet. 

• Options

Confused

I have a Stevie (solid black). I didn't pay that amount for it but, honestly, I pay more than that for my own regular purses. I don't see what the big deal is. If you can't afford it or aren't into purses, don't buy it. The Stevie holds quite a bit (DD has reflux, we travel with a crazy amount of stuff) and the shape works well, better than one that is tall and thin.

I didn't have a set budget for a diaper bag. I bought what I liked. I'm sure I'll end up with a few more.

• Options
    imageOUKatie:

Confused

I don't see what the big deal is. If you can't afford it or aren't into purses, don't buy it.

This. A major pet peeve of mine is "reverse snobbery". Come on, folks, being judgmental is always wrong!

Everyone agrees that "rich people" shouldn't look down on those who spend less. So why do those who spend less think it's okay to look down on "rich people" for spending more? If it's not nice in one direction, it's not nice in the other... Seriously, think about how incredibly pissed we'd all be if someone posted a $30 diaper bag and said, "Can you believe people seriously would buy this ugly tacky thing? Why not just set your $30 on fire? Next time maybe try buying something that actually lasts for years instead of imported poly that will rip in a month." Ouch. Not cool, either way!

And, as a sidenote to those that mentioned it... A celebrity would be extremely unlikely to carry this particular bag. It's not a new style or even a new fabric this season. (I like Kate Spade fine but she isn't The One Thing at the moment.) Also, a celebrity would not have to pay for it.

If you want to see expensive bags, try Givenchy, Celine, Lanvin... Yum.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageggatlanta:
    imageOUKatie:

Confused

I don't see what the big deal is. If you can't afford it or aren't into purses, don't buy it.

This. A major pet peeve of mine is "reverse snobbery". Come on, folks, being judgmental is always wrong!

Everyone agrees that "rich people" shouldn't look down on those who spend less. So why do those who spend less think it's okay to look down on "rich people" for spending more? If it's not nice in one direction, it's not nice in the other... Seriously, think about how incredibly pissed we'd all be if someone posted a $30 diaper bag and said, "Can you believe people seriously would buy this ugly tacky thing? Why not just set your $30 on fire? Next time maybe try buying something that actually lasts for years instead of imported poly that will rip in a month." Ouch. Not cool, either way!

And, as a sidenote to those that mentioned it... A celebrity would be extremely unlikely to carry this particular bag. It's not a new style or even a new fabric this season. (I like Kate Spade fine but she isn't The One Thing at the moment.) Also, a celebrity would not have to pay for it.

LOL. Good points there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I totally want to buy a fancy diaper bag. That Kate Spade one doesn't do it for me though. I thought about getting a big Pendleton tote bag, but I'm worried that it'd get ruined if a bottle spilled in it or something. But I would spend $400 on a bag that I loved and that is functional.

• Options
    I'm with the others, I wouldn't pay that much for THAT bag, but I am willing to spend a decent chunk of change on a diaper bag if I really love it and it is going to hold up. I have a Coach diaper bag from DD (from the outlet) and it has lasted for nearly 3 years. I don't carry another purse, so splurging on the bag didn't seem like that big of a deal.
  • Options
    imageggatlanta:
    imageOUKatie:

Confused

Yes "Reverse snobbery" lol.  I'm glad there's a term for it. That's a huge pet peeve of mine too.

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

image+lisamarie+:
    Honestly, if you think about how much and how long you use a diaper bag, it's worth investing a bit of money in. If it's something I am going to be carrying around, I want it to be nice and fashionable. I have a Coach bag now that I paid $300 for that I've used for over 2 1/2 years now. With #3 on the way in January, I will be getting another (different) one since I'm tired of carrying the same bag for all this time!!

I used the same bag with my first 2 and it was cute and functional.  I bought it at Target for $35.00 and it lasted over 4 years. 

I did break down and buy a new one for this #3 and spent a little more ($65.00) for a Skip Hop, but I would never spend over $100.00 on a diaper bag, but I'm pretty cheap like that. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"