Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

2 Questions: Portable High Chair and Carseats

We are looking at high chairs now.  And I think I know what we are going to get for our home.  However, we eat out a lot and both my and my DH's parents live far away so when we go for visits, we usually stay for about a week.  Neither of our parents have any baby gear at their houses.  Is getting a portable high chair a good idea?  The kind that you can attach to a table.

Also, our LO is about 3.5 months and I think she will outgrow her infant car seat soon (according to my measurements she is 26 inches and the car seat is only good until 30).  How old do they need to be in a convertible car seat that isn't at the infant angle?   Also, any recommendations for a convertible car seat for a Hyundai Elantra?

TIA! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Re: 2 Questions: Portable High Chair and Carseats

• Options

I would get a space saver high chair for travel, the kind that fit on a a chair. The clip on high chairs are fine, but they don't always work well on every table.

As for a convertible car seats, they are good from birth (except the Clek Foonf, it's from sit unassisted and up). Installed at an infant angle or more upright? Depends on the seat and lo. Realize that convertibles take up less space front to back than an infant seat (30" limit on your seat? Snugride 30?), so even at an infant angle it will take up less room. To be honest, the Elantra is deceptive, there is a fair bit of space in the back seat, if you can fit the Snugride you should be able to fit whatever seat you choose, this car doesn't seem to have much problem fitting seats. Now it's up to your budget. Good buys? Graco MyRide, Safety 1st Complete Air, Diono Radian, Clek Foonf (in a few months).

Also, I just wanted to point out that the over height limit isn't a hard and fast rule. It's the measurement from the top of the head to the top of the seat, it's usually no more than 1" from the top of the head.

• Options

The Fisher Price space saver high chair is great. We've used it all the time, mostly when visiting parents. It's great as a booster too.

How much does your DD weight? We have a First Years True Fit convertible seat that I really like a lot. It's only downside is that the rfing weight limit is only 35 lbs. DD2 is going to hit that before she turns 3, but she is rfing comfortably in it right now at 28 months. (She's 31-32 lbs and prob 37-38".) The top part of the headrest comes off for extra space for babies under 22 lbs (and I assume that still have at least 1" of headrest above the head).

https://www.thefirstyears.com/Convertible-Car-Seats/True-Fit

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use the Fisher Price space saver in the house as an everyday seat (DDI is 2 1/2 and still sits in it). But we do have a travel one that attaches to the table that stayed in the trunk of my car. We used it all the time when we went out to eat, friends houses, parents, etc. It is great for travel being so small....I'd highly recommend one! We use the Britax Boulevard for our convertible seat. It goes from birth and up. Worth every penny for the time you use it and the safety it offers.
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

image+lisamarie+:
    We use the Fisher Price space saver in the house as an everyday seat (DDI is 2 1/2 and still sits in it). But we do have a travel one that attaches to the table that stayed in the trunk of my car. We used it all the time when we went out to eat, friends houses, parents, etc. It is great for travel being so small....I'd highly recommend one! We use the Britax Boulevard for our convertible seat. It goes from birth and up. Worth every penny for the time you use it and the safety it offers.

What travel one do you have? 

• Options
    imagegimmietimmies:

I would get a space saver high chair for travel, the kind that fit on a a chair. The clip on high chairs are fine, but they don't always work well on every table.

As for a convertible car seats, they are good from birth (except the Clek Foonf, it's from sit unassisted and up). Installed at an infant angle or more upright? Depends on the seat and lo. Realize that convertibles take up less space front to back than an infant seat (30" limit on your seat? Snugride 30?), so even at an infant angle it will take up less room. To be honest, the Elantra is deceptive, there is a fair bit of space in the back seat, if you can fit the Snugride you should be able to fit whatever seat you choose, this car doesn't seem to have much problem fitting seats. Now it's up to your budget. Good buys? Graco MyRide, Safety 1st Complete Air, Diono Radian, Clek Foonf (in a few months).

Also, I just wanted to point out that the over height limit isn't a hard and fast rule. It's the measurement from the top of the head to the top of the seat, it's usually no more than 1" from the top of the head.

We do have the snugride--and it is a little uncomfortable for me to sit with it behind me in the car.  I was looking at the Graco, but have heard it gets really hot. 

• Options
    imageAngela814:

The Fisher Price space saver high chair is great. We've used it all the time, mostly when visiting parents. It's great as a booster too.

How much does your DD weight? We have a First Years True Fit convertible seat that I really like a lot. It's only downside is that the rfing weight limit is only 35 lbs. DD2 is going to hit that before she turns 3, but she is rfing comfortably in it right now at 28 months. (She's 31-32 lbs and prob 37-38".) The top part of the headrest comes off for extra space for babies under 22 lbs (and I assume that still have at least 1" of headrest above the head).

DD weighs about 15 lbs right now (probably a little less), but we want to keep her rear facing until she turns 2.

I think the FP Space Saver is bigger than we want to drive to my parents or inlaws.  We will also have to bring a stroller and pack n play every time we go and are trying to get really small things to bring for the high chair. 

• Options

I have this portable high chair and love it: https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Go-Booster/dp/B0000A11ZQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1260714075&sr=8-14

It looks like it might currently be unavailable but I would look and see if you can find something similar. It takes very little space (which was great because our only car was a VW Beetle until this summer so space was at a premium) and folds small enough to fit in luggage and such when traveling.

As far as convertible seats, most will work in most cars. I have radians and haven't found a car yet I couldn't install them in. I've done it in a honda pilot, a VW Beetle (our only car for 5 years), two honda civics (different years), a volvo s40, an older model oldsmobile and some rental car that I no longer remember what it was without a problem. It's a great seat because it has a very tall shell, which translates to longer use both rear facing (which you need to do to a minimum of 2 years, preferably 3-4) and forward facing and will definitely get most children to a good booster age/size/maturity. I now drool over the clek foonf, which is also low profile but has an even taller shell than the radian, so lasts longer, but that  one is very pricey so we're unlikely to ever get one.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have the FP Healthy Care Deluxe booster/portable high chair.  It straps onto a regular dining chair and is very secure.  It folds up nice & small too for travel.  It will also work great when DD gets a bit older and can use just a booster seat at the table, and no longer needs a high chair.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePBear93:
    imageAngela814:

DD weighs about 15 lbs right now (probably a little less), but we want to keep her rear facing until she turns 2.

I think the FP Space Saver is bigger than we want to drive to my parents or inlaws.  We will also have to bring a stroller and pack n play every time we go and are trying to get really small things to bring for the high chair. 

Apparently I lied. We don't have the Space Saver. We have the portable seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DEW8N
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"