April 2011 Moms

Bitten at daycare. Picture included.

I discovered this bitemark tonight on Liam at bath-time. One other time there was a mark on him that I thought *might* have been a bitemark, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't say anything.
BiteMark
I alerted the daycare provider, and sent her this picture. What would your next move be from here? I mean, if it happens again, would you pull him out? I know that kids bite, but I don't know what most daycare places do. Sorry I'm so clueless :-/

Thanks for any help you ladies can offer!

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bitten at daycare. Picture included.

• In the space of 2 minutes one day, DS bit my DCP's son twice and then scratched her daughter's face and neck (they're twins, 6 months older than DS).  She texted me when it happened.  I felt horrible, but she wasn't mad or anything.  It happens.  But I would be concerned that you DCP didn't tell you about it.  How did she not notice?  I can't imagine he wouldn't cry with that kind of mark!

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAnjaO:
    In the space of 2 minutes one day, DS bit my DCP's son twice and then scratched her daughter's face and neck (they're twins, 6 months older than DS).  She texted me when it happened.  I felt horrible, but she wasn't mad or anything.  It happens.  But I would be concerned that you DCP didn't tell you about it.  How did she not notice?  I can't imagine he wouldn't cry with that kind of mark!

This is what I would want to look into further. A lot of questions surrounding this would determine whether or not I would pull him out.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • The same thing happened to me a couple times with me oldest. One time she came home with a small spot of hair matted up in her blood. When I asked what happened, they didn't know anything about it, and that was the part that upset me the most.

I'm not sure if pulling him out of the daycare and moving him to another will help, as this type of behaviour is quite typical for that age.

• Yowza, that's nasty.  I have to believe that he cried from that.  I agree that your DCP should have alerted you to the situation.  I'm also curious if she told the parent of the biting child.  I'd be pissed if I was the other mom and didn't know either. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd also be more concerned that they didn't tell you about it either immediately with a call, or later that day when you picked him up. It looks pretty darn nasty, they should have known what happened to cause it since he would have been crying over that severe of a bite.

Our daycare tells us of any bruises (typically falling on face, or walking in walls) or scrapes (falling at the park), DD has never been bitten <yet>.

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Like everyone else I would be concerned that they didn't tell you about it, but I wouldn't rush to pull him from the daycare. I think biting is kind of common at this age so that will probably happen anywhere. I would bring it up with the DCP and see what they have to say about it and then go from there.

And poor Liam, I hope he's ok now! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, Everyone! It was on his back, near his shoulder blade. The daycare provider knew which child it was. There is a little girl who is a biter. I wouldn't pull him out over a first incident, but it is somewhat "Lord of the Flies" sometimes when I'm there. She's a woman who watches her two little grandkids and then a few other children. Where we live, there are very few options for daycare since it's so rural.

He only goes to daycare for a few hours on Monday and then all day on Friday. I appreciate your thoughts. I really just wasn't sure what to do. I think I'd be more worried if he spent more time there :-/  

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My DS has been bitten three times in the last six weeks...once behind the arm (the worst one, it drew blood and scabbed over for a week), once on the wrist (barely a mark), and once on the cheek (moderate..it bruised over the weekend). We're pretty sure it's the same child. Oh, and he got bitten once on the finger, but that doesn't really count because he put his finger in another child's mouth. Total accident. :)

Each time it happens, DS's daycare writes up an accident report and lets us know. I get upset when it's bad enough to bruise or scar (your son's looks like the one that bruised on DS's cheek). However, as PP's have said, this is 100% an age for it. If you like the daycare otherwise, I wouldn't consider it grounds for removing DS as long as things like this don't continue to happen regularly. The DCP should have let you know, though.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Chase was bitten on his arm at daycare a few months ago.  I got home and there was a perfect bite-mark on his forearm.  Our daycare provider is usually great about reporting anything that happens, so I figured she didn't know about it.  I called her to let her know what happened.  She said she had heard Chase start to cry, but the other kids (older siblings of the 2 year old perpetrator) told her Chase had gotten his finger stuck in the mouth of a dinosaur toy.  The kids were put in timeout for lying/biting and we haven't had any problems since.   I figure, these things happen. I remember biting my brother when we were kids, and I can't guarantee that Chase will never do something like that.  I wouldn't pull my kid from a daycare because of one instance, though I would certainly let them know what had happened.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"