Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Paying babysitter WWYD?!?

Ok, so we've always paid our babysitters $11-$12/hour and they've always been teen neighbors. Our main babysitter moved a few months ago and we haven't had much time out since then other then when family is visiting. DH and I found something we really wanted to do this weekend and I talked to DD's preschool teacher about possibly watching the kids. She was more than excited. We are going to be gone most of the day and are used to paying our babysitters well. I was giving the preschool teacher directions to our place, and asked what her usual rate is just to make sure we didn't underpay her -- since she is an older (40s) and more experienced babysitter. Well I was totally floored when she said $5/hour if that was okay with us. I don't even know how to respond to that. I feel guilty not paying her the normal $11-12/hour we gave our other sitter, but also don't want to seem like I'm stepping on her toes or seeming snobby. WWYD?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Paying babysitter WWYD?!?

• Options
    I'd probably pay her somewhere in between, maybe 8ish...and then get her a starbucks gift card or something too.  That's awesome that her rates are so reasonable!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When I was younger and babysat, I always got abou5 $5-8 an hour.  When I started babysitting again recently, parents were offering 12-15 an hour.  Is it possible that the preschool teacher doesn't do a lot of babysitting on the side and hasn't really updated her rates?  I agree I would go more than $5 an hour, regardless.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would pay her more; I wonder if she just felt awkward asking for more?
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imagela79al:
    When I was younger and babysat, I always got abou5 58 an hour.nbsp; When I started babysitting again recently, parents were offering 1215 an hour.nbsp; Is it possible that the preschool teacher doesn't do a lot of babysitting on the side and hasn't really updated her rates?nbsp; I agree I would go more than 5 an hour, regardless.

This is definitely a good thought, but I know she nannies a few other kids from class Monday and Friday when they don't have preschool. Even that is different though I feel like because it's more of a long term commitment. I'm definitely going to give her at least 10/hour and then make sure we get her a really nice Christmas gift this year.
    I nannied in Boston before having kids and was making 1820/hour. It's hard now being in another part of the country trying to know if people are just too nice or it's really that different here.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would pay her the normal $11-12 /hour that you pay others.

• Options
    I'd pay her at least 10 if not what you were paying a teenager...if you really like her & would like her to become a regular sitter for her, this will secure you a spot as a top family for her if the others are really paying her $5/hr (?! that is bizarre honestly. and 'if you don't mind'? are you sure you didn't misunderstand her?)
  • Options
    I would pay her more...prob $10/hr and a little bit for gas money too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJulesDiane:
    I would pay her the normal 1112 /hour that you pay others.

I agree with this. If your used to paying your sitter this much than it won't be that big of a deal for you and she'll appreciate it.

On a side note, we pay our college aged sitter 10 dollars an hour.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Options
    DH hadn't gone out in a long time and it was our anniversary.  I was talking to DD's daycare teacher about it and she said she'd watch the kids.  We were thrilled because DS loves her, and DD at least knows who she is.  I asked her rate for the evening and she said, "Oh, $20 should be plenty."  Then the night of the event, she said not to pay her because it was our anniversary!  We're no dummies though.  We want to keep her on the list of possible babysitters.  We paid her about $15/hr.  I made $5/hr as an untrained teenager twenty years ago.  You definitely need to pay her more than that!

• Options

imageJulesDiane:
    I would pay her the normal $11-12 /hour that you pay others.

Yep

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"