Baby Names

I know in general this board doesn't like boy names on girls, but...

DH is in love with Andie for a girl.  I actually mentioned it to him thinking he would hate it but now that he really likes it it's in the running.  so wdyt?  I can take it. lol

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I know in general this board doesn't like boy names on girls, but...

• It's fine nn material, perhaps for Andrea. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wouldn't be nn, would be first name.  We don't like any names that would give the nn Andie (andrea, andrina, andra, cassandra, miranda - i like miranda DH hates it).
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • In that case I think it's a terrible full fn for a girl. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Really bad FN, good NN.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know a little girl whose name is Andie Jane. I think it works because they call her Andie Jane, so there is no gender confusion. If you did something like that, I would say go for it.

DS <October 2010>
  • imageTheWop:
    In that case I think it's a terrible full fn for a girl. 

Agree.

I'd encourage you to widen the circle of names that have -and- in them and see if there are any you like. Calandra? Amandine? Alessandra? Fernanda? Shenandoah?

• In this case, I don't mind the boy name on a girl as much as I mind the nickname used as a full name.  I like Andie as a nn for Andrea, but do not like it as a formal name (boy or girl).
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate boy names on girls. Andie is a tiny bit of an exception. I have an Aunt that goes by Ande and I loved the name Andie in "How to lose a guy in 10 days".

If you do use it, I really think you need a girl name as the whole name. Normally I prefer people to name their kids what they plan on calling them but, in this case of a boy name on a girl it needs the back up.

• You would be doing your future daughter a disservice by not giving her an alternate name to use in a professional setting. Even if you find a name where Andie wouldn't be a traditional nickname, you could use it anyway. Like one PP said, broaden your naming circle - perhaps even to go so far as to consider any name with the letters "an" in it.
  • imageTheWop:
    It's fine nn material, perhaps for Andrea. 

My aunts name is Andrea and Andy was her nn growing up.

I really don't like Andie for a fn but wouldn't bat an eye if it was someones nn.

imageimage
  • imageTheWop:

I couldn't agree more.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • imageCrys1925:
    You would be doing your future daughter a disservice by not giving her an alternate name to use in a professional setting. Even if you find a name where Andie wouldn't be a traditional nickname, you could use it anyway. Like one PP said, broaden your naming circle - perhaps even to go so far as to consider any name with the letters "an" in it.

This.

It's always important to remember that children are only children for a few short years.   You are naming an adult, too, and a cute little girl name dosent always flow well into adulthood.   It's best to give them a good name that has cute nn potential or use the cute name as the middle name.   I actually think Andie is a very cute nn, just not as the sole name. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think Andie is fine for a girl's name. I like the idea of doing Andie Jane or a two part first name with the second name sounding more feminine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTheWop:

This...I was hoping this was a nn, because then I think it would be cute 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMAdams728:

imageCrys1925:
    You would be doing your future daughter a disservice by not giving her an alternate name to use in a professional setting. Even if you find a name where Andie wouldn't be a traditional nickname, you could use it anyway. Like one PP said, broaden your naming circle - perhaps even to go so far as to consider any name with the letters "an" in it.

This.

It's always important to remember that children are only children for a few short years.   You are naming an adult, too, and a cute little girl name dosent always flow well into adulthood.   It's best to give them a good name that has cute nn potential or use the cute name as the middle name.   I actually think Andie is a very cute nn, just not as the sole name. 

All of this! I am not as anti-boys-name-on-girls as most here. However, I can certanily agree that it would be more thoughtful of you to give her the option of having a more female fn for future purposes.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I agree with everyone else.  Cute nn, but nms as her full fn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Andie is cute for a nn but not as a full name imo. I have an Aunt Andie (no full name) and she hates not having a fuller name. she lies and says her name is really Andrea and Andie is her nn.
  • I am one of the exceptions on this board I like some boys names on girls.

I like the name Andie/Andi on a girl. I think it can be used professionally as an adult (one of the top photographers I know is named Andi) So I think it is cute on a little girl and an adult.

I'd go with it and give her a feminine middle name so if she does want something to "fall back on" she can.  

June 2006-married Bug... April 2009-gave birth to Pinky... January 2012-gave birth to Cakes
  • imageTheWop:

agree, cute NN, awful name

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageSoleilMoon:
    Wouldn't be nn, would be first name.  We don't like any names that would give the nn Andie (andrea, andrina, andra, cassandra, miranda - i like miranda DH hates it).

What about Alexandra, Alexandria, Alessandra, or something along those lines? 

• I have a 19 month old named Andi, short for Andrea.  DH really really wanted a little girl named Andi and this was the only way I would do it (with a formal first name).  If she likes Andi and sticks with it for life, good for her.  If not, she has a pretty, professionally appropriate first name that is popular enough but not over-used.

Edit: "not over-used", not just "over-used"

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • I think it is cute and I like the spelling!  Reminds me of Angie but a little different.
    Carrie An infertility veteran, survivor and champion. However, have a beautiful son and another one on the way!
  • In general, I find a lot of -ie names to be a little young feeling.  Which is fine for a child, but not fantastic for a grown woman.  Most -ie names can be shortened to a more formal sounding name if the woman so chooses (Liz, not Lizzie; Kate, not Katie; Ann, not Annie) but Andie doesn't have that benefit.  So for that reason I would think it would be nice for her to have a longer full name that she could use if she wished.  As many have already pointed out, we are children for a short period of time and adults for so much longer.

This could also do with my profession.  I am in a very male dominated profession and already have difficulty with being taken as seriously as my male counterparts (opposing counsel called me "sweetie" this morning on the phone).  Having such a diminutive names would only add fuel to the fire.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's cute as a nn, but awful as a fn. I agree with pp's who said to broaden your horizons.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

In general, I find a lot of -ie names to be a little young feeling.  Which is fine for a child, but not fantastic for a grown woman.  Most -ie names can be shortened to a more formal sounding name if the woman so chooses (Liz, not Lizzie; Kate, not Katie; Ann, not Annie) but Andie doesn't have that benefit.  So for that reason I would think it would be nice for her to have a longer full name that she could use if she wished.  As many have already pointed out, we are children for a short period of time and adults for so much longer.

This could also do with my profession.  I am in a very male dominated profession and already have difficulty with being taken as seriously as my male counterparts (opposing counsel called me "sweetie" this morning on the phone).  Having such a diminutive names would only add fuel to the fire.

This is exactly where I was coming from with my earlier comment. I too am a lawyer, look young for my age, and get all sorts of are-you-sure-you're-old-enough-to-handle-my-affairs inquiries (which aren't asked of my male counterparts). I don't like my name, but I'm so glad that I can call myself something that's not too cutesy, given my profession. It makes the differential gender-based treatment marginally more tolerable.

• Sorry OP, but I have to agree with the majority. It's fine as a NN, but not as a FN (especially for a girl).
  • imageMrs.Frazier:

I am one of the exceptions on this board I like some boys names on girls.

I like the name Andie/Andi on a girl. I think it can be used professionally as an adult (one of the top photographers I know is named Andi) So I think it is cute on a little girl and an adult.

I'd go with it and give her a feminine middle name so if she does want something to "fall back on" she can.  

ITA but realize we're in the minority.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    Really bad FN, good NN.

This.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imageMrs.Frazier:

I am one of the exceptions on this board I like some boys names on girls.

I like the name Andie/Andi on a girl. I think it can be used professionally as an adult.

I agree with this. I think Andie will be fine and can be used professionally also. I also am in the "name your child what you plan to call her" camp. I am not a fan of NNs at all.

• imageTheWop:

Yep, sorry. NN material only for me. 

• I have loved this name since I was a child.  I read a book with that name and fell in love.  I would select Andrea or a longer name so that she has a choice later on.  My DD's name is Teresa and we call her Tessie so we have used the nn we love but if she chooses, she can use Teresa as an adult later on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"