Natural Birth
Options

Doubts

I'm sort of doubting myself and my ability to stick to my plan of having a natural birth because I don't have a high pain tolerance. Do you need to have a good pain tolerance to endure natural childbirth? Because if that's the case, I'm in BIG trouble and I'm going to need to change my plan. Any encouragement will help.
Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary image

Re: Doubts

• Options
    I haven't given birth yet, but my mom had two natural childbirths and she told me she has a very low tolerance to pain. She said it was hard, but if she can do it than anyone can. That made me feel better! People have been having kids naturally since forever so I'm sure we'll survive :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You do not need to have a high pain tolerance to have a NB.  I have a moderate pain tolerance and was able to have a totally med free birth.  I know everyone is different but honestly, I did not think the contractions were to painful.  Yes they hurt but they felt like really intense period cramps.  The worst thing was the back labor but that was tolerable when I labored in the tub and had DH or my doula rub my back.  The big thing that helped me at my L&D was having supportive people around.  If everyone is telling you  what a great job you are doing, then you will believe it.  For me,  my DH and doula were my cheerleaders.  They told me how awesome and great I was doing throughout labor, this helped me stay positive.  You can do it, just stay positive!!

ETA:  MY tear was bigger than the OB thought so he did a couple of stitches where there was no local anesthetic. The stitches hurt worse than my whole NB!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Who can say for sure whether one has a high or low pain tolerance?  In many ways I think it is a matter of perception and what you put your mind to.  Your state of mind before and during childbirth is just as important (and in some ways more important than) as the physical.  Try not to let any negative thoughts or thoughts of self-doubt enter your mind.  If you can focus on all the benefits of natural childbirth, and remind yourself of why you chose natural childbirth in the first place, this may help give you the encouragement and determination you will need to move past the physical discomfort.  Remember it is pain with a purpose and it is a natural process your body was designed for.  Share your fears with your husband and be sure he understands that he will need to help you stay positive and motivated. Good Luck, you can do it! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

For me it was less about the pain and more about not panicking through each contraction. So if you can think of some ways to stay calm and focused that might really help you.

It is painful, but it's a different pain to anything else you've experienced. It has a purpose, and it gradually builds in intensity (for most people) which gives you time to adjust to it. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    imageKateLouise:

For me it was less about the pain and more about not panicking through each contraction. So if you can think of some ways to stay calm and focused that might really help you.

It is painful, but it's a different pain to anything else you've experienced. It has a purpose, and it gradually builds in intensity (for most people) which gives you time to adjust to it. 

This is a perfect way to think about it! You just need to do your best to stay calm. 

I don't have a high pain tolerance, in fact, its probably considered low. But a friend of mine who had a NB a few weeks before me said that the most painful part of each contraction was about 20 seconds and "you can do anything for 20 seconds". 

I kept telling myself that and when a contraction would get painful I'd start counting outloud and usually by 20 it was starting to subside. The counting really helped me remember to breath too. DH was great about helping me count towards the end when I started to freeze up and look panicked for each contraction.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've done this twice, working on my third.  It's not your pain tolerence, it's your mental toughness and bullheadedness.  I have very low pain tolerence but have always known I'd have natural births.  An epidural is not even an option (for me) unless medically necessary.  If you tell yourself you 'might' get an epidural, you will.  Decide before you go into labor.  Mind over matter.  Once you go into labor, just tell yourself it will be over in 24 hours (most likely, right?).  Concentrate on the work you need to get done, and DO IT.  Your body can do it, people all over the world do it every day, people have survived without epidurals for thousands of years.  Best of luck!  It's TOTALLY worth it!
    Reichley Mama
  • Options
    I have a very low pain tolerance. I had a NB. I agree with the others that you really have to be able to focus and breathe and get through each contraction. Yes, it's painful. But you can do it. :)
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Options

Three days before I had DD I had horrible sciatic nerve pain (found out the next morning it was DD getting into position, because I dropped significantly in the night).  Anyway, I remember thinking if contractions are as bad as this, I'm getting an epi! So no I don't have a high pain tolerance, but still had a med-free birth and my labor was 17.5 hours.

It's just different from an 'Ow I stubbed my toe!" feeling.  For me it was highly uncomfortable toward the end, required all my concentration, but I just wouldn't describe it as pain, at least not the way you usually think of pain.  Keep in mind too that you will get a break and will feel pretty good.  So it's not going to be constant, as it would say you broke your leg.  So just take it one contraction at a time, remind yourself that no matter how long a contraction feels you will get a break and don't worry about the next one until it comes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"