Military Families

DEERS/ tricare

So my husband is deployed, our daughter is 9 days old. She needs a prescription, but she is not in deers yet because I don't have her birth certificate or social security number yet. I also don't have power of attorney for my husband (which is stupid I know....I tried to get him to do it when they were doing all their pre deployment paper work and it didn't get done). Does anyone have any experience with this? I would just buy the prescription, but it's over $100. Oh and the number the deers people gave me want to leave me a message and will get back to me in 2 days!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DEERS/ tricare

• Call or visit your Tricare center at your military base. They should be able to help you in some way or lead you towards the right direction. There has to be something they can do, since your husband is deployed.
  • You can still go get the prescription with your ID. She will need to be entered into the system still, but she's covered. I believe we registered dd around day 50. She had all of her appointments covered fine.

As a side note, your H should be ashamed of himself for leaving you high and dry. His command should have been more diligent as well to ensure that his ducks were in a row. This is deployment 101 stuff here. I'm sorry. This is a stressful way to start off.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Your DD Is automatically covered for her first 60 days of life, without being in DEERS. Get in touch with your H and have him email you a POA ASAP.  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Maybe it's different because he is activated National Guard? I probably should have mentioned that. I called the number the pharmacy got from tricare (because they called tricare right there) and then they transferred me and then that is where they wanted a message and to get back to me in a couple days.
  • imageShannda20:
    Maybe it's different because he is activated National Guard? I probably should have mentioned that. I called the number the pharmacy got from tricare (because they called tricare right there) and then they transferred me and then that is where they wanted a message and to get back to me in a couple days.

It's slightly different. When did his orders start? He has to be on orders for 30 days before his full TriCare Prime coverage kicks in. Were you guys using something else before hand?  Once his coverage kicks in it will back date to the start of his orders so if you have to pay OOP for it now, you can get reimbursed later.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imageShannda20:
    Maybe it's different because he is activated National Guard? I probably should have mentioned that. I called the number the pharmacy got from tricare (because they called tricare right there) and then they transferred me and then that is where they wanted a message and to get back to me in a couple days.

It's slightly different. When did his orders start? He has to be on orders for 30 days before his full TriCare Prime coverage kicks in. Were you guys using something else before hand?  Once his coverage kicks in it will back date to the start of his orders so if you have to pay OOP for it now, you can get reimbursed later.

His orders started in May, but we have been having deers issues since then so maybe it's just still not right. 

Thanks for all the input! I'll keep calling around until it's worked out. 

• You can probably get your LO entered into DEERS without her birth certificate or social security number, all we needed was the letter of live birth that our delivering hospital sent us.  Ours showed up around a week after LOs birth.  DH took the letter to the DEERS office and they entered our LO in and now we're waiting for his social security number, which we will take in to DEERS to update his information once we get it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageShannda20:
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imageShannda20:

His orders started in May, but we have been having deers issues since then so maybe it's just still not right. 

Thanks for all the input! I'll keep calling around until it's worked out. 

Are you close to any sort of base? I was active NG but used to go to the naval base close by to see DEERS in person and get things done a bit quicker. Also you can fill presecriptions and stuff for free at their MTF.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Unfortunately the closest base is a 4 hour drive from me. 
  • imageShannda20:
    Unfortunately the closest base is a 4 hour drive from me. 

See if you can look up a number for their DEERS office. The local offices tend to be much more helpful. Also call YH's FRG and Rear D. They may have some contacts to point you in the right direction.

CJ 05/29/2013

• You don't have to have her birth certificate and SS card to register her when your H sends the POA.  The hospital can give you a letter of live birth that says the baby was born there and a certificate has been applied for.  You can take that to the SS office and they will give you a certified paper saying a card has been applied for.  DEERS will accept those.  You just have to take in the proper docs after you receive them so they have those on file.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"