Pre-School and Daycare

Do you teach your LO what to do in an emergency?

I was just thinking about this.  DS is 4 1/2 and he knows our first and last names but not our address or our phone numbers.  I've also never really talked to him about calling 911.  

He's in full time pre-K and I have no clue if they talk about this with the students.  

Does your LO know your phone numbers?  Address?  About 911?   What to do when/if a stranger approaches them?

Any tips on the best way to teach LO all this?  How often do you talk about it with LO?   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you teach your LO what to do in an emergency?

• DD has known her phone # since she was almost 4 and she learned her address when she was in her 4 year old preschool class.  You'd be surprised how quickly they memorize them.  For the phone # and address the teacher would put each students outside of the classroom and when they arrived each day they had to pick out theirs before going into the classroom.  At the beginning it was a huge back up but it only took about 4 class days for kids to walk right up and pick out their cards. 

We've also talked fire safety, the ways to get out of the house, which neighbors house to go to and knock on the door if something happens, etc. 

Oh, her preschool also has a 911 phone to help teach them when to call and what to expect if they do call.  (pre-recorded sayings from the operator). 

I think it's never too early to teach these things. 

• Both boys know their whole name and ours. DS1 is learning our phone number and address. They are both in pre-school and did a whole unit on Saftey with the police and fire department they know about calling 911 in an emergency, but I am not sure that they would know what to do in an emergency for real. We talk about it some.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS picked up the numbers partially by hearing me on the phone and by the time he turned five he knew home, both our cells and my Mom's home and our address. He learned home before 3. DD is almost 4 and knows our home and if I say the first 2 of 3 digits of address she knows the rest and if you ask where she lives she says the town name. And she knows DH and my full name, meaning Jennifer last name not Jen. DS still gets 911 confused with 991 but I think he would try both in an emergency and I will start with 911 with DD soon.

At 4 1/2 I would teach these things, stuff happens, kids get lost or if you got hurt he should know his number and where he loves and he is old enough to start to understand 911
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • DS has known our full address (number, street, and city) since 3. He is working on our phone number (starting with my cell first). We have "practiced" calling 911 for about 2 years from both our landline and my cell phone and he knows what to do in case of fire or if one of us needs an ambulance. I actually have a lot of confidence that he would be able to call and get help if necessary. We are now working on stranger danger a bit more. 
  • DS knows names, the city we live in (we have a really obnoxious address so it might take awhile to get the whole thing), 911 and almost has my phone number down.  He also knows the emergency escape plan and he knows how to break out his window if he ever needs to.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD knows her first and last name, DH's and my first and last name, our address, about 911 and when to use it if she needs an ambulance, policemen, fireman, gets lost, etc., and has recently learned my cell number. She also knows my parents first and last names and the town and state they live in we have no family close by. She has know this all, except my phone number, since she was about 3.5. We started teaching her when I was pregnant with DS because DH travels a lot for work. We also taught her how to unlock my cell and use it to call too.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"