Military Families

Active duty mommys to be

Ladies, how soon did you tell your unit that you were expecting? I am six weeks and while I think that is too soon to tell coworkers, I want to be "safe" and limit what I do during PT and throughout my duty day. I do have an appointment scheduled on 28 November which is 8 weeks and it has been confirmed through blood test that I am in fact pregnant. Any words of advice please!

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Active duty mommys to be

• I'm Guard but I told my unit at 6 weeks after it was confirmed. I got a doctors note and had the company medic give me a profile ASAP. There are quite a few limitations so it's not something you want to keep quiet long. Congrats! Was it the IUI or a surprise?

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    I'm Guard but I told my unit at 6 weeks after it was confirmed. I got a doctors note and had the company medic give me a profile ASAP. There are quite a few limitations so it's not something you want to keep quiet long. Congrats! Was it the IUI or a surprise?
    I wouldnt say it was a surprise bc we have been actively trying for over a year. BUT it was a surprise we were able to get pregnant on our own without medical help when we were told we had a two percent chance of conveiving.

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I meant by surprise.  Lol. I knew you guys had been TTC but were about to do IUI.  Did they give you a profile at the doctors office?

CJ 05/29/2013

• We are required to tell the command (I just told my dept head who put it on the medical board) when it has been confirmed by any blood test. Medical at the unit did the blood test so there was no real way around tellling the Command. I was 10wks pg when I transferred and no one else knew at that point. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    That's what I meant by surprise.  Lol. I knew you guys had been TTC but were about to do IUI.  Did they give you a profile at the doctors office?

Yes you remember us and our situation. We were prepared to try clomid and IUI, but ended up with a BFP before actually needing to do so :-)

I was being seen at a fertility clinic and they ordered the blood test to confirm pregnancy. My first appt is 28 November with an OB so I am assuming the profile will be given then.

• I didn't tell my unit specifically, any still really haven't.  I told my boss at 12 weeks just so he knew I would be out for a while.  At 4 weeks I went to the clinic for blood test since we need referrals for OB care here.  They put me on profile and did a safety assessment of my work area.  I still go to PT but I modify what I need to based on Heart Rate.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would think it depended on your job description and the type of unit you are involved in.  It was confirmed at six weeks that I was pregnant and my profile went into effect 24 hours later.  I had to because I'm in an Airborne unit.  My jump status needed to be terminated.  As far as PT, I still run and do most activites as before.  My advice would be the sooner the better.  
  • imagecustomjunkie:
    I would think it depended on your job description and the type of unit you are involved in.  It was confirmed at six weeks that I was pregnant and my profile went into effect 24 hours later.  I had to because I'm in an Airborne unit.  My jump status needed to be terminated.  As far as PT, I still run and do most activites as before.  My advice would be the sooner the better.  

I told my supervisor and he said that its too early for changes to be made to my work or pt schedule. Which is true. Thankfully I have an appt on the 28th and a profile should be issued at that time. Bc of the complications we had even ttc i dont want to anounce it now and my supervisor basically backed that up.

• image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:

imagecustomjunkie:
    I would think it depended on your job description and the type of unit you are involved in.  It was confirmed at six weeks that I was pregnant and my profile went into effect 24 hours later.  I had to because I'm in an Airborne unit.  My jump status needed to be terminated.  As far as PT, I still run and do most activites as before.  My advice would be the sooner the better.  

I told my supervisor and he said that its too early for changes to be made to my work or pt schedule. Which is true. Thankfully I have an appt on the 28th and a profile should be issued at that time. Bc of the complications we had even ttc i dont want to anounce it now and my supervisor basically backed that up.

Just be sure to moderate yourself with PT. I was told to keep my heartrate no higher than 140. You'll notice PT get a lot harder, hell I get winded walking up stairs now, so just listen to your body.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I told my First Sergeant pretty much right away (after it was confirmed with a blood test and after my first appointment) I was about 7 weeks at the time.  He of course had to tell the commander but I just asked my first sergeant to not tell anyone else until I was out of the "danger zone" and he said I definitely wasn't the first and only woman who wanted to do that so no worries there.  I am Army and they gave me my profile almost immediately.  Here though (Maryland, DC area) you have to be cleared to do PT and that doesn't happen until your second appointment so I didn't even have to go to formation, BONUS since I have been so tired!!!!  Hope this helps!

imagecustomjunkie:

Your supervisor is wrong. As soon as it has been confirmed that you are pregnant by your unit you are supposed to be on profile. It is not too early to have your PT schedule modified. Normally, everything is fine with keeping you in the same routine that you had pre-pregnancy, however if something were to happen (definitively hoping not!) they could be held responsible. Just make sure you are careful and as PP mentioned, monitor your heart rate and start looking into low impact exercises for in the future. Congrats by the way!

Ladies, how soon did you tell your unit that you were expecting? I am six weeks and while I think that is too soon to tell coworkers, I want to be "safe" and limit what I do during PT and throughout my duty day. I do have an appointment scheduled on 28 November which is 8 weeks and it has been confirmed through blood test that I am in fact pregnant. Any words of advice please!

I told my supervisor the day they confirmed it at the hospital.  I am stationed in Germany and had a mandatory Overseas OB Brief the next day from 0800-1200, so there was no way around it.  I don't see the point in waiting really.. it's for your safety and the baby's safety to let them know ASAP.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelindsay.n.harman:
    image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:

imagecustomjunkie:

Your supervisor is wrong. As soon as it has been confirmed that you are pregnant by your unit you are supposed to be on profile. It is not too early to have your PT schedule modified. Normally, everything is fine with keeping you in the same routine that you had pre-pregnancy, however if something were to happen (definitively hoping not!) they could be held responsible. Just make sure you are careful and as PP mentioned, monitor your heart rate and start looking into low impact exercises for in the future. Congrats by the way!

THIS!!!!!!! They have to let you do your own PT or Prego PT (if they have it there!)

Pregnancy Ticker

imagecustomjunkie:

Just be sure to moderate yourself with PT. I was told to keep my heartrate no higher than 140. You'll notice PT get a lot harder, hell I get winded walking up stairs now, so just listen to your body.

Ha! I have a three story house so I will NOT be looking forward to this! lol

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imagecustomjunkie:

OMG, we have a townhouse and the one and only bathroom is upstairs. I cried the other day and told DH when we move in Jan we HAVE to have a bathroom downstairs. Its absurd.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imagejdherrick:
    I told my First Sergeant pretty much right away (after it was confirmed with a blood test and after my first appointment) I was about 7 weeks at the time.  He of course had to tell the commander but I just asked my first sergeant to not tell anyone else until I was out of the "danger zone" and he said I definitely wasn't the first and only woman who wanted to do that so no worries there.  I am Army and they gave me my profile almost immediately.  Here though (Maryland, DC area) you have to be cleared to do PT and that doesn't happen until your second appointment so I didn't even have to go to formation, BONUS since I have been so tired!!!!  Hope this helps!

Where are you? I am in the DMV area.

• imageGARTHKE:
    imagelindsay.n.harman:

imagecustomjunkie:

THIS!!!!!!! They have to let you do your own PT or Prego PT (if they have it there!)

The hospital sent me to Family Practice who has to see me before they will refer me to OB. I was told the profile would be given once I have my Family Practice appointment on the 28. There is no PT program here for pregnant servicemembers bc there arent a lot of active duty here. I do feel as if I should be seen a lot sooner than two weeks after confirming a positive pregnancy, but I do not know who to bring that up to. At this point I am just taking it easy (not pushing too hard at pt and not lifting anything) and so far it hasnt been an issue at work. The 28th cannot come quick enough

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imagecustomjunkie:

OMG, we have a townhouse and the one and only bathroom is upstairs. I cried the other day and told DH when we move in Jan we HAVE to have a bathroom downstairs. Its absurd.

We have a townhome too, but thankfully there is a half bath on the first and second floor while the two full baths are up onthe third.

• Um, aren't we required to tell our unit immediately as once we become pregnant we are non-deployable?  I think you should tell your CO immediately. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"