VBAC
Options

Having hard time with this VBAC decision. Doctor is supportive, but thats about it...any words of w

I will try and keep this as short as I can, but so much going on in this head of mine recently.  I want a VBAC.  I had a successful, but very tough vaginal birth with my first(she was sunnyside up and it was just rough), and a horrible emergency c-section experience with my second.(she had meconium and I got stuck at 6 cm for hours and her heart rate fell and they just told me I really had no other choice..but I felt maybe I did)  Knowing both experiences I want another vaginal birth.  I have done months and months of research on benefits and risks of both, even before I got pregnant with #3, because I knew I wanted more kids.  I go to an OB practice that is VBAC friendly, or so they say.  I just get a feeling that when it really comes down to it, they may push csection, because thats how I felt when I had my second.  I have been recommended this mid wife group that is very very pro VBAC and has a ton of experience with it, but something is keeping me from switching.  I have been with my ob office now for years and years.  Plus it makes me a little nervous knowing that if I do have to have another emergency csection, it will be by some random doctor on call since the mid wives dont have a back up OB. 

My family is not really supportive of my decision to VBAC.  They keep telling me that I need to do whats right by me, but do I really want to take a risk that could be catastrophic..I spew out facts and stuff of the risks with repeat section..but they just dont hear it.  My husband just keeps saying its my decision and offers no help. 

And to top it all off, a friend on mine who actually just did have a VBAC, had complications and ended up with a hysterectomy.  Apparently her placenta connected to her csection scar(I believe its called placenta Acreta?), and they couldnt stop the bleeding.  She says it didnt matter if she vbac or repeat section, it would have happened either way, but it still makes me nervous.

I am just so incredibly torn.  I was 2 weeks late with my other kids and thinking that will happen again.  Both babies were over 9lbs.  OB will actually induce me, but I know the % of successful VBAC goes down with an induction. 

I know that I just need to see what happens and let my body do what it will do, but at some point I need to make a decision and either schedule a RCS or not..I am just torn.  If something ever did go wrong, I could never forgive myself..but I could probably say that either way..

Anyone else have these concerns?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Having hard time with this VBAC decision. Doctor is supportive, but thats about it...any words of w

• Options

Your friend is right.  Her complication was actually due to having had a c/s and had nothing to do with a VBAC. 

There are catastrophic consequences to both a c/s and a VBAC.  As far as I can calculate, the larger risk comes with a c/s.  Yes, there is a slightly smaller risk to the baby with a c/s but still risk.  And there is a much, much greater risk to you.  You are almost 4 times more likely to die during a RCS than a VBAC. And it sounds like you'd leave three children behind in that scenario.

Bottom line, there are risks to both.  I felt the overall risk was greater with a c/s.  Since you have ahd a vaginal birth before, you have a much higher likelihood of successful VBAC.

I was a successful induced VBAC under the care of a certified nurse midwife.  No complications.  Were there risks?  Yes.  There are risks every time you walk out the door (or walk into your own bathroom, for that matter!) You just have to decide which pile of risks you are willing to go with here.

I had concerned and was paranoid with a VBAC but the moment I was in labor, those statistics, etc were the farthest thing from my mind and i was focused on labor and delivery.

(And ignore ignorant people who haven't bothered to research the fact that even ACOG states that VBACs are safer than a c/s for most women.  I would suggest not discussing your birth plans with anyone.) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

Ditto MA

As someone who has had a prior vaginal birth, you would be considered a good candidate for VBAC (assuming there is nothing else that would prevent you from having one, like a classical incision).

Your friend's placenta accreta had nothing to do with her having a VBAC.  Placenta accreta forms early in pregnancy, way before delivery is in the picture.  It is a serious condition that would have caused complications for her no matter how she delivered.  In fact, the more c/s a woman has, the more likely she is to develop placenta accreta in her next pregnancy.  So if you think you want to have more kids after this, that might be a reason to try and avoid a second cesarean.

GL with your choice.  I think it is totally normal to have anxiety when you think about this stuff.  I know I did.  If you haven't done so already, check out our VBAC blog and look through some of the birth stories.

vbacbumpies.blogspot.com 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

PPs have touched on a lot of your concerns really well so I won't repeat what they've said because I agree with them.

I did want to comment on your fear of switching to the MW practice because you would end up with the on call OB in the event that an emergency C/S was necessary.  Obviously you're the one who has to be comfortable, but for me, it would be far more important to have a VBAC supportive provider because that's what I would be planning for.  Do emergencies happen?  Definitely, but statistically (and assuming you're a good VBAC candidate) you'll be successful with your VBAC. 

I honestly wouldn't care who was performing my C/S as long as they were qualified to do so.  Heck, "my OB" performed my C/S last time because he happened to be the one on call with my practice.  He wasn't the one managing my labor and I saw him for probably 2 mins prior to the C/S and then there was a sheet between us and he performed the surgery.  He held up the baby and that's the last I saw of him until he cleared me for discharge.  It really could have been anyone. 

There are different ways to manage care during pregnancies and different theories on birth, but in general, most OBs are going to do C/S the same way.  It's not like there's really much that can be different.  JMO, but I would really look at what's most important to you when trying to figure out what you're most comfortable with.  

Also, something else that struck me from your post, you might consider concentrating on doing what you can to get baby in optimal position for birthing this time around.  There are exercises you can do and things you can keep in mind.  Also, chiropractic care is great for proper positioning.  It sounds like that's definitely been an issue for you (that was my problem last time) and there are things you can do to give baby a better chance of getting into proper position.

GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

First, I just want to say that it's normal to be having doubts, and it's okay. You're not alone.

It sounds like what YOU really want is the VBAC, and if thats true, then you should try. But you do have to be extremely committed and have a firm birth plan in place to be successful. So, you have to work on these doubts, because you don't want them hanging over your head when you go into this. Have you considered taking birthing classes to get you through it or hiring a doula? And stop listening to your family. I'd stop them in their tracks next time they say something negative with a comment like, "Listen, this is my body and my decision, I've talked to my doctors and have done a lot of research and I know it is the right thing for me. I need support, not criticism, so if you want to say anything more on the subject, I suggest you do your research, too. Otherwise, I don't want to hear any more of your opinion on it."

I had an unplanned C with my daughter and like you, I feel that I didn't need it. I think the medical interventions led to it, and I think I may have been able to get her out eventually. My OBs are supportive of VBAC but told me that it is their belief that I have a better chance if I commit to going med free. I had already planned on a med free birth, plus hypnobirthing classes, plus doula, plus strict birth plan. I considered switching to midwives at a birthing center, but decided that I'm too worried about not being at a hospital if something were to go wrong to do that, and I do really like and trust both my OBs. So I'm sticking with them and a hospital birth, but no less committed to a natural VBAC than I would be elsewhere.

Last thing, I'd reconsider being induced if it comes to that. Induction drugs make the contractions very severe. I personally am not willing to have pitocin wreak havoc on my uterus. Thankfully, my OBs won't use induction drugs on past c/s mommies, so we are agreed there. If I go too long past my due date, I'll schedule another c/s.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I think everyone here has already given some great advice. And I think what you are feeling is normal. The bottom line is that having a baby is risky business, regardless of how the kid pops out. And we each have to decide what we're most comfortable with in terms of those risks. Women are blessed with the amazing ability to give life. But, like Spiderman says, with great power comes great responsibility. It can feel like a significant burden to make these decisions all on your own, especially if you feel like loved ones are telling you you're nuts. Because then it all falls on your shoulders if something goes wrong. It sounds like your H is being rather passive about the whole thing. So maybe you need to do something else to feel less alone in this--to boost your confidence in your decision.

You say you are reluctant to switch to the midwifery group, but can you arrange for a "trial" appointment without committing to ditch your OB just yet? Set up an appointment with the midwives and just go meet with them. Ask them all your questions and tell them all your concerns. Let them talk to you about VBACs, describe their experiences with them (good and bad), tell you what they do in case of an emergency, explain what they feel are the risks and what they feel are the benefits. Even if you believe you already know the answers to these questions, and even though you've already done a lot of your own research, it can make a world of difference to have other women on your team--women who REALLY support and encourage your desire to VBAC and not just doctors who are willing to go along with it. Maybe then you'll be in a better position to commit to what you want and to brush off well intentioned but misinformed people. I know for me it really helped to be at a practice that viewed VBACs as a completely normal, appropriate birth option. It helped calmed my nerves. Alternatively, you may have your appointment with the midwives and be totally freaked out and uncomfortable. But then that helps you make a decision too, right? The point is you are not stuck here. Give yourself the opportunity to make a decision you know you will be happy with in the long term, no matter what that ends up being and no matter how things turn out.

• Options
    Thank you ladies for looking at this.  There was some really good words on wisdom in there!  I appreciate it.  I am going to set up a trial with the midwives group.  See how that goes, look into hiring a doula and tell my family to shut up!  Thanks again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"