Military Families

Communicate via iPhone/iPad from Japan?

Please pardon what may seem like a pretty basic question.  This will be my first deployment.  I'm new to the military life and he is not but it has been a long time since he's been in Japan.  He'll be in Okinawa and I am trying to decide on a Christmas gift for him based on whether we'll be able to communicate via text/Face Time.  I am uncertain what might be required (data plans?) to use an iPhone or iPad which is really what I'd like to get him.  No need in buying one though if he is leaving in January and it will sit and collect dust for that length of time.

So....if we want to text or talk via FaceTime, are there extra fees involved if he is in Oki and I am in the states?  I'd think there would be but I have no clue.  If anyone knows anything about this feel free to fill me in.  Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Communicate via iPhone/iPad from Japan?

• Hey, we're stationed here in Japan. As long as he has a wireless connection, he can FaceTime/text/ whatever. But if you're going to want him to have the 3G, he'll need an iPhone/iPad from here (ones from the US won't work here with the 3G, you have to use a Japanese one) with a plan. But if you're main use will be with him at home or in barracks, whatever, he should be able to get internet through the local cable company and purchase a router to go with it. 

CafeMom Tickers

imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Well thanks for the info!  I guess we will need to wait and get him one there.  Now if anyone sees this and has a clue how much phones/plans cost over there, I'd love to know!  We are due to an upgrade so the iPhone would have only cost us $200 but I am willing to bet they are more there!  Plus he will only be there for 6 months.  I'd hate to sign up for a contract that will cost us lots to cancel or continue paying....  Can't have everything though. :)  We're just weighing our options.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You can also iMessage (texting!) for free from iphone to iphone.  I am stationed in Germany and always text my friends and family in the states.  Most contracts in foreign areas will have cancellation agreements that as long as you have orders and let them know in a timely manner (e.g. not the day before you fly out!) you will not have to pay extra money.

(My experience may be a little diff. because I am germany, but apple definitely rocks for keeping in touch!)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can also imessage from a mac using ichat if you have Mountain Lion! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagearcook0307:
    Well thanks for the info!  I guess we will need to wait and get him one there.  Now if anyone sees this and has a clue how much phones/plans cost over there, I'd love to know!  We are due to an upgrade so the iPhone would have only cost us $200 but I am willing to bet they are more there!  Plus he will only be there for 6 months.  I'd hate to sign up for a contract that will cost us lots to cancel or continue paying....  Can't have everything though. :)  We're just weighing our options.

We have a contract through Softbank, our iPhones were essentially free with the 2 year plan but to cancel early you will get charged upwards of $1000. Pay as you go plans are available, but I'm unsure as to the details of the contract for it. You'll get charged for 3G usage fees as well as regular phone usage. I'm not sure if they'll let you get an iPhone with a pay as you go plan. You can google it and find some info. 

CafeMom Tickers

imageCafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"