January 2013 Moms

Are you making flu shots a requirement to see/visit baby?

Morning ladies,

Since our babies will be born in the middle of the flu season are you requesting that all family members who want to visit your newborn have the flu and/or whooping cough shots?

I haven't thought about this but now I'm giving it some serious thought, especially family members who have little ones who are walking germ magnets. On the other hand some people just don't get shots, I have yet to get the flu and haven't had the flu before *knock on wood* and if it weren't for my baby I still wouldn't get one. Now that I think about because of hubby's career he'll have  to get one too! 

I think this is such a sticky topic but at the end of the day it's for the my baby.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Are you making flu shots a requirement to see/visit baby?

• No, I'm not because I'm of the opinion that not only are the vaxs themselves not anywhere near 100% effective, but there are a whole host of other viruses that present just like the flu that can't be vaxed for and that sort of thing.  If you really want to protect your child you'll need to keep them away from all visitors.  Of course we ask that no one visit if they know they're sick or feel like they might be coming down with something.  It's not 100% effective, but we didn't have any problems last time with anyone in our house getting sick. 

Obviously this is a personal choice though and you have every right to limit who visits based on your comfort level. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • No I'm not. I got the shot and some of that should pass on to my baby. My DH got his as well. I am just going to have hand sanitizer around so people can use that
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't expect that every friend who comes to visit for a few hours will get a flu shot, although I'm sure I'll be a nut with the Purell, but we have asked our parents who will be staying with us for longer periods of time get them.  Most of them would've gotten it anyway, and I think that's fair.
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• No, but neither will I be getting one. I have had reactions every time to the shot, so it isnt worth it. I agree, I will just ask people to be aware and not come if they think they may be sick.
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• I am making my parents and DH's parents because they are planning on staying with us for an extended amount of time after LO is born (they all live in different states than us). My MIL was upset and told us she and my FIL don't want to get it. DH told her it's not an option if they want to stay with us. My parents more than understood and my mom has never had the flu shot, but she respects our wishes and will get one.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I actually still haven't gotten the flu shot, I've had a hard time finding the preservative free version but DH & I got the whooping cough vaccine. We aren't making anyone else get vaccines but I provided information about whooping cough on my blog when we got vaccinated so if anyone chooses to great, if not that's alright too. I will make sure it's clear to everyone that if they have a cough/sniffle to stay home until it's gone though!
  • imageSmiley-1980:
    No I'm not. I got the shot and some of that should pass on to my baby. My DH got his as well. I am just going to have hand sanitizer around so people can use that

This is my plan! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I brought it up to my mom who works at a middle school and will with my Mil who volunteers at a hospital. I won't force it, but considering they both are around sick people, I would be more comfortable. The rest of my family either work desk jobs or are stay at home moms. 

I actually won't get mine until after the baby is here, along with the whooping cough VAX. I can then pass antibodies through milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I am asking everyone that wants to visit to get the TDAP, but there is a major Whooping cough outbreak in my area right now, and they all understand that and are perfectly willing. But no, i am not asking that they get the flu shot as well.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I'm honestly more worried about the crap DS brings home from day care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did not get the flu shot and Im not asking family and friends to get it. I am asking my parents and inlaws to get the TDAP shot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Overall- no. But the people who will be around LO the most all work in healthcare & are required to have them for work (my parents & ILs). I will definitely enforce the policy of don't come if/while sick for everyone!
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am making certain people get flu and whooping cough.  My drs pretty certain lo will be in the nicu for some period of time and I wouldn't want to risk anything.  I only asked a few people, one being my mom and sister who never get flu shots and when I explained why they were totally fine with it.
  • No. THe people who are going to be around the most (my family) get the shot anyhow and I am asking them all to make sure they are up to date on petrussis. I need to remind about that actually... 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• We are asking our parents, who will be spending a good amount of time with us, to get a flu shot (easy to do for free at rite aid) and if they can easily, to get the pertussis vac.  If they can't get it easily we wont make a big deal out of it but would prefer they had it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I would find it very obnoxious if I wanted to visit a friend with a newborn and given the response that I can only come if I've gotten my shots. Do you plan on asking them to show you their records too?

So, no I certainly will not require (or even ask) if family/friends have gotten their shots. However, I will request that people wash their hands (or possibly use hand sanitizer) before they hold our baby. I won't do this forever, but certainly in the beginning. I feel like this is a very acceptable request.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I asked everyone that was coming for an extended visit (all of our relatives are out of state) to get their TdAP boosters and flu shot.  Luckily, my sister had a baby last year and most everyone in my family got their shots last year.  My IL's didn't really think this was a big deal.  My mother is the only person that can't get vaccinated, but she had Guillain-Barre Syndrome 25 years ago and isn't able to be vaccinated.

For visitors stopping by, no, we won't require anyone to get a flu shot.  Like a PP mentioned, how would you even enforce that?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No. The flu shot doesnt prevent the flu and i wouldnt even get it while preggo. i wont let my kids or dh get it either. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think that's extreme, especially since I intend to make everyone wash their hands if they want to hold him for the first two weeks or so, and because I got a flu shot while pregnant so that my LO will be protected from the flu when he's born, (at least protected from the flus that are protected by the flu shot.)
  • I was very paranoid about this with my DS who was born in dec of 2010. We actually didn't go to my husbands families for Christmas because his cousins were sick, but healthy fam. Members came over to our house. I had a huge bottle of hand sanitizer and asked everyone just to stay out of his face (in a nice way though) if u nurse that will help the babies immune system as well. Your babies immune system is powered by the mothers while they r nursing.i nursed till my DS was 15 mth old and he did not get sick until shortly after. 
    I ended up being a December 2012 mama. I was due jan. 17th but she decided she wanted to be here to welcome in the new year, lol Big brother loves her. He pointed at her and said that my sissy. River Grantly Mason 12/20/2010 Zoey Lea Mason 12/29/2012
  • No, you can't make everyone get a shot just to see your baby, anyhow I'm not getting one, neither is my 2 year old and I plan on taking the baby out in public (store, mall, gatherings) after a week, 10 days, like I did with DS (nov baby)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Majority of our family members work in a hospital where they are required to get the flu shot by their job, so most of them will have it. That being said I'm not going to require people to get it. It's not my body, so therefore not my place to tell them what to do with it. I will ask if peple are sick that they wait to come see LO other than that, we will use hand sanitizer just as we did with DD. I'm not overly worried about LO getting sick, as he is going to be exposed to every DD is being exposed to at school/daycare so he will probably have more chance of catching something from her then from anyone else.
  • I told our close family about it and that my doctor recommends it. But I'm not gonna fight people on it. My mil and a lot of her family work in the medical field so I know they have there shots. But I as well know it can be a sticky topic. The last thing I would want is to have someone feel pressured.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our family had the flu shot and we got a strain not covered by the vaccine. It pretty much shut us down for 2 weeks at our house and we are just now recovering.

So, I'm not asking this of visitors. There are just so many things going around that there is no way to prevent everything.

We'll just practice hand washing and obviously not allow someone that is clearly sick to be around the baby.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No. I am asking my mom to get the tdap vaccine (and anyone else who wants to spend a long period of time with him), but I'm not requiring the flu shot. If people are sick, and they come to my house to see him (which I really don't think will happen, but who knows. People are stupid.), I'll just say, sorry, not until you are healthy. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • While I am very pro vaccine, and made darn sure that my DH and myself both got the flu shot (and the pertussis vaccine), I am not going to "require" visitors to have those done. To be frank, the vaccines are effective, but some will still get sick regardless of having gotten them so just asking about the vaccine alone does not say anything...plus, there are a lot more illness that can harm baby besides the flu and whooping cough. Even to visit family in the hospital we don't screen for vaccinations.

You are much better off asking that visitors who are sick (even with "colds") STAY AWAY. Also, when visitors do come, make sure that everyone washes their hands before touching the baby. Both of these guidelines will help protect your baby much more than asking about vaccinations alone.

• no....like op's have said...tons of purell...

i've never gotten a flu shot in my life and i've been fine...dh gets the flu shot every year and this year he got walking pneumonia right after....

if someone isn't feeling well or think they might have a cold i'll just ask them to stay away is all...i'm sure they wouldn't be offended... 

• When I had DS three years ago, we were in the middle of the swine flu outbreak, so yes, I badgered them all to get not only a flu shot, but a pertussis vaccine too. I wasn't mean about it, we just had to keep reminding everyone. It helped that everyone was scared about swine flu anyways. I will remind them again this time, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"