Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Harrisburg Hospital vs. Hershey for twins or high risk pregnancies

I just found out this morning that we are expecting twins (God help us)!! My RE is at Hershey, and he says that it's time to release me to a regular OB/GYN. Normally, I would just go to Woodward and Associates (my regular OB/GYN who delivered my son at Hbg. Hospital) and I've had no probelms with them. I got the feeling though, that my RE wanted me to consider delivering at Hershey, which would mean a new team of OB/GYNs, of course. Does anyone know the difference between the two hospitals? Is one better for twins, high risk pregnancies, possible hospital bed rest, and a probable C-section? I'm supposed to make a decision by the end of the week, and I don't know how I'll ever decide. How am I supposed to compare the two hospitals and make a good decision? Has anyone had experience with both hospitals? Has anyone heard if one is better than the other for high risk pregnancies? Thanks so much in advance. :)

Re: Harrisburg Hospital vs. Hershey for twins or high risk pregnancies

• Options

I had a standard, easy pregnancy and delivered at Hershey. I've always gone to Women's Health affiliated with Hershey, but I now live in Harrisburg and considered switching to a practice a bit closer to home. What kept me at Hershey is the NICU's reputation. I hoped and prayed we wouldn't need it (and didn't), but I wanted to be at Hershey, just in case.

My labor and delivery nurses were great at Hershey. I would remind anyone that Hershey is a teaching hospital and as such, you will see a lot of residents (maybe not with twins?).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First off, congrats!!! I hope you have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy.

Both hospitals have excellent reputations, that's for sure. I don't have personal experience with either, other than my mom giving birth to me at Hershey almost 30 years ago at 28 weeks gestation. I know I received the best care around and am fully normal and functioning now.

A friend of mine had pre-e and was on bedrest for a few weeks at Harrisburg then gave birth to her son around 34 weeks, I think. She had a positive experience there from what I can remember.

For what it's worth, I did a ride-along with Life Lion in 2009 and one crew member remarked how mothers on bedrest typically go to Harrisburg, while new preemies typically are flown to Hershey.

I can understand your hesitation about switching practices, but if I was in your shoes I would pick Hershey, hands down. Everything is already there and you wouldn't have to worry about you or the babies having to be transferred somewhere else.

Married 09/10/11 TTC #1 Since 10/17/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of your great advice. It has been really hard to find anyone with experience at both hospitals, so it's been difficult to make a decision. I never heard that bedrest = Harrisburg and preemies = Hershey, but that is very helpful to know and we'll definitely factor that into our decision.
  • Options
    For high risk I would personally recommend Hershey.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    For high risk, I recommend Harrisburg. Harrisburg gets transfers from a ton of hospitals in central pa for high risk and twins. They deliver over 4200 babies a year and many of those are multiples. Harrisburg has a level 3 NICU and is 6th in the state in number if births.  I would not switch to a new practice if you like the one you are with. Woodwards is an excellent practice. Plus I complications arise the MFM doctors will step in and take great care of your twins. I am a L&D nurse at Harrisburg so if you need more info PM me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never been to harrisburg. Have been going to the dr at hershey forever. I was born there 29 years ago. Thats where I've always gone to the dr then ob and went there when I had my son 10 years ago. Was only 34 weeks. Had emergency c-section due to preclampsya. Was on bedrest for about 10 days. He was in nicu for a month. Was only 3lbs12.7oz. Had hirschprungs. They did the corrective surgery while in nicu. They were wonderful. Going there now for my current pregnancy.
  • Options
    First of all congratulations! I am also expecting twins! I am seeing the ob at Hershey and will deliver at Hershey. Their NICU is top notch and god forbid my babies need it but I wouldn't want them anywhere else. Also, if you have the babies at Harrisburg and for some reason they are transferred to Hershey just remember you are not transferred with them, so you would be at different hospitals, even if only for a day or two. I can speak from experience saying that everyone at the women's health office is amazing. Although I am still very early I have had one issues and they always return my calls within MINUTES and have even scheduled me for same day appointments (within hours of calling). I know they have a camp hill obgyn office if that would be closer for you...?
  • Options
    I decided to deliver at Harrisburg after talking to a lot of friends who've delivered at both. They seemed to like Harrisburg better. I am currently in birth classes there and one of my fellow classmates is a NICU nurse at Hershey. She has decided to give birth at Harrisburg. I figure if she feels comfortable there it must be good. They've made a ton of changes in the past year and a half (for the better) and it really seems to be a top notch birthing facility that's is now putting a lot more emphasis on waiting to cut the umbilical cord, keeping skin to ski contact right away (even after a c-section), and a bunch of other more natural techniques. It's making me feel a lot more comfortable. We are due the last week of January after going through fertility help with RMA. They said it was a great place to deliver as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"