December 2011 Moms
Options

When are you taking away the pacifier?

LO LOVES his paci. He will not go to sleep without it. He doesn't usually take it while awake unless he finds one he's hidden and starts playing with it. But at naps and nighttime, its a must. My oldest never really liked a paci, so breaking him wasn't a big deal. But I'm scared to even think about it with LO. I'm starting to wean from the bottle and the paci really helps cut down on the crying. So my initial plan was no paci after 1, but since the bottle goes then, too, I'm thinking of extending it a bit. I will not have a 2 yr old with a paci, no matter how much crying there is! I hate to see older kids with them. But I just don't know whether I should just go ahead and take it or let it go a few more months till the no bottle transition is behind us. What are you ladies doing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When are you taking away the pacifier?

• Options
    I haven't really decided yet.  She only uses it for naps and bedtime so I'm not in a huge rush.  But I would like her to be rid of it by around 18 months i think.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

My DH and I actually discussed this the other day.  We will take it away starting in January after the crazy rush of the holidays.  R only gets it at naps and bedtime right now so I'm hoping it won't be too bad, although, like your LO, it's a must at naps and bedtime.

We've decided to go cold turkey in January and hope it works.  I'm like you, I don't want a toddler with a paci.  After we break the paci habit, we'll move on to the bottle habit.  I keep trying to reduce the number of bottles a day and replace with his sippy cup but he refuses to drink anything out of a sippy cup other than water...so I foresee a long road ahead of us.  I think breaking the bottle habit will be harder than breaking the paci habit.

Good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not any time soon! He only uses it to fall asleep or when he doesn't feel good, so I am okay with him still having it. 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
    oh hm.  PP brings up a good point about after the holidays.  I'm off work the whole week after Christmas.  maybe that's a good time to do it in case I need to re-Ferber her a bit...
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We first tried to take it away at 4 and 6 months but it was obvious he wasn't ready. I was finally successful when he was 8 months by using it only for nighttime sleep and once he fell asleep, taking it out. By the third day, he didn't want it anymore every once in a while he finds his wubbanub and will bite/suck on it and then throw it down. I am not sure that we will do a paci at all with our next LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options
    Like OP, we only use it for transitioning into sleep but I thought we'd stop at 6 months, then 9 months, and now at almost 11 months we still haven't made the change. I dread the first long car trip to ILs (9 hrs) without a pacifier to help him sleep during the ride.
  • Options
    Our DS 2 doesn't use one, he's never liked it. But out 2.5 year old loooooves his. We have taken it away during the day, but he still gets it at nap and bedtime. He was 20 months when ds2 was born and we didn't want to take it right before such a huge change. Then we switched him to a big bed.... Then potty trained. Now that all of that is out of the way we plan on taking it away. It's going to he rough. He turns 3 in march and I want it gone by then. I always thought I would take it a lot sooner, but the circumstances we never right.
    Cheeks? What cheeks?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    S/O build a bear and paci. I have heard the suggestion of putting the paci IN the bear so LO can still feel it and self sooth. I may do this.
    We Prob use the paci more than we should. But after Christmas we plan on becoming more strick about only for bed/car which he is already getting better at but we use a paci leash so it's available...this will go away
  • Options
    My little guy loves his paci. My Dr. said to try and start weaning around 1 year. We will try to just give it at naptime and bed and go from there. Poor kid doesn't know whats coming
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're not in a hurry.  We'll probably start limiting it to bedtime in the next few months, but I doubt we'll take it away completely before she's 2.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"