Maryland Babies

Retiring the highchair?

How old was LO when you switched them from eating in a highchair with a tray to a booster (or something) at the table?

DS is still in his highchair (space saver), which I like, but putting him in a seat that attaches to the table may solve the space issue we're having with our kitchen table and chairs...

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Retiring the highchair?

• I've toyed with the idea a few times. I got a booster seat at a Wee-Sale in August and DD has sat in it a few times. I guess my main concern is her getting food all over the table. A small tray is easier to clean then our entire table every night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Around 18ish months she started refusing the high chair altogether.  We tried a booster for a month or two, but that was a total PITA - so we just let her stand/kneel on a regular chair.  She loved it.  She fell off once when she was little over 2, cried but then has been careful ever since.  She still kinda remembers falling and will talk about it sometimes when I tell her to be careful.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Embarrassed Ava is still in a highchair and she's 3 1/2. She likes it and insists she isn't too big for it. Faith is in a booster seat attached to a chair. A little backwards in our house, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageidonthavethis:
    Embarrassed Ava is still in a highchair and she's 3 1/2. She likes it and insists she isn't too big for it. Faith is in a booster seat attached to a chair. A little backwards in our house, lol.

LOL

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Because of lack of space for us, we have them in the booster seats with the trays. That way we use a very small table to eat just me and DH and the kids have their own little tables. We're moving things around though and are getting ready to let them have their own seats and chairs. B is getting too big for his booster seat. He's been in that thing for almost 3 years now. I think I'll cry when he's done with it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD1 started refusing her high chair around 16 months. I got a booster seat for her at Totswap and she was fine with that for a month or two, but then started refusing that too. She's been just sitting in a regular chair since before she was 2 and it was all her doing. I would have kept her in the high chair longer if she'd been ok with it, but it just wasn't a battle I was willing to fight.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We got a booster seat at Totswap and switched her out that night...I am so much happier with her closer to the table, sitting up straight and out of the highchair and she seems happier, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Which booster seat does everyone have? We have the FP Healthy Care one at each of our parents' houses and it's nice to have one there, but it's so low, we wouldn't be able to push him up to the table in it.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • For a while we pushed her high chair (trayless) up to the table. Around the time Victor was born we started encouraging her to use a regular chair.  It was more a factor of wanting her to be comfortable using a real chair before Victor needed the high chair.

At the Amish market that have an awesome toddler chair.  It sits up higher but it looks like a real chair.  It also has a step of flip down steps so that the child can climb into the chair themselves.  When the time comes, that is what we will get for Victor.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well, our table has a "skirt", so our space saver highchair would not fit when we tried to take the tray off and put it directly up to the table. DD started refusing her highchair around 15 or 16. We put her in a chair that attached to a table and that worked for about a month or two. Now, she just stands in a regular chair with arms. We've tried doing the armless chair, but that doesn't seem to work. Ideally, we'd like to get something like Weezie has described since we have to lift her into her chair.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS1 started not liking his high chair around 18 months or so, then moved him to a booster with a tray. USed the tray for a few months then just scooted the booster up to the table.

With DS2 we went straight to the booster w/tray. I hated that damn highchair, too bulky and took up too much space in my kitchen.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • D1 loved her highchair and sat in it until she was about 3 years old.  She went straight to sitting at the table on a regular chair. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Around 18 months/ 2 we switch to a booster seat in a chair and she sat with us up at the table. We removed the booster seat at around 2.5 right around the time that C born and she has been sitting at the table ever since.

• We switched Aiden from the highchair to booster at around 18 months.  Claire is in a spacesaver high chair, so I'm less motivated to switch her.  I probably will after Christmas, but for now, it's working!
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • 17 months.

For a while she just stood on a kitchen chair and ate.  Then we got a booster. 

We got rid of the high chair before DD#2 was born.  We didn't want DD#1 to get jealous that the baby got to sit in "her seat".

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • We switched Kieran to the chair that attaches to the table at 18 months (we have the ingelsina fast chair and it folds flat for easy traveling and you can take in your suit case when flying!)

and then to the Kaboost at 2.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We switched to a soft booster seat when DD was 18 months old.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"