December 2011 Moms
Options

Christmas Budget

How much are you planning on spending on your LO for Christmas? We've got $100 set aside and we feel that's plenty particularly at this age but now depending on who I'm talking to, I feel like it's either too much or too little. How much do you expect to spend?

Edited to add - The $100 is for both his birthday presents & his Christmas presents.

Re: Christmas Budget

• Options
    Honestly we are getting DD a play kitchen and that is it. I am sure the rest of the family will get her plenty between Xmas and her bday.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    We've already purchased the fisher price learning house. It was on sale for 75. We are also planning on getting her a pirate ship water table for summer play obviously. They're about 70. We already bought her some cheap books and I think we'll leave the rest to the family. Oh, and I am creating a personalized board book online.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't really have a specific budget in mind.  It just depends on what I find that I like.  Though, I think $100 sounds about right.  I can't imagine spending more than that on a baby.  Especially since I buy her new toys all the time.  At this age, she wont understand that her birthday/Christmas is something extra special.
  • Options
    I'm not sure at this point really... I have gotten him a few clothes so far but they have all been on sale. Probably no more than $150 for Xmas and maybe $50 for birthday. I'm sure between all of our family he will get more than enough for both.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    we said 100. The wooden sleigh came to 99.74. But then we both thought only getting a sleigh was lame. So both bought her one more 30 item.

Her birthday budget is 100.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We're doing one big present for her birthday and one big one for Christmas, so we'll probably end up spending about $150 total.  
  • Options
    About 150 for Christmas and birthday combined. I just got some steals at Toys R Us so I got more for my money so to speak.
  • Options
    It will probably be under $100 because both sides of the family will get him plenty of stuff and he has hand-me-down toys from his sister and heck if I know what else to get a baby.  DD, on the other hand, can find $100 worth of stuff she wants on a single page of the Target toy flyer, so we'll probably spend at least that much on her.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    We are not planning on going crazy, but we really do not have a set budget.  I have a wish list for DD that I started working on and we plan on buying from that. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options

Alright... I'll put on my flame retardant suit.

As it stands today, I have spent nearly $1,000 on Birthday and Christmas combined.  When I'm done, I estimate my total will be closer to $1,300.

That being said, there is no "other" family.  What she gets from us will almost certainly be it.
    There is no birthday party.  We'll buy her a cake for the 3 of us, but that's it.

Our big ticket item is a $300 kitchen.
    Most of the toys will last for a large age range.

I'm also a SAHM, so if I'm honest, most of the toys are for my benefit too.  There is only so much shape sorting and ring stacking I can mentally do in one day; I need variety.

DD also doesn't get toys, in general, throughout the year.
    My thinking is that after Birthday & Christmas, I'll have toys to pull out/rotate through out the coming year... and beyond.

For what it's worth, her college is fully funded (to the max we're allowed to contribute this year), our retirement is fully funded, we have an 8 month emergency fund, my bills are paid, and this won't be an every year or every child occurrence.  This is a planned expense, and we're still giving our time and money to charity this year.

Flame away if you must...

• Options
    imageRebecca2024:
    Alright... I'll put on my flame retardant suit.As it stands today, I have spent nearly 1,000 on Birthday and Christmas combined.nbsp; When I'm done, I estimate my total will be closer to 1,300.That being said, there is no "other" family.nbsp; What she gets from us will almost certainly be it.There is no birthday party.nbsp; We'll buy her a cake for the 3 of us, but that's it.Our big ticket item is a 300 kitchen.Most of the toys will last for a large age range. I'm also a SAHM, so if I'm honest, most of the toys are for my benefit too.nbsp; There is only so much shape sorting and ring stacking I can mentally do in one day; I need variety.DD also doesn't get toys, in general, throughout the year.My thinking is that after Birthday amp; Christmas, I'll have toys to pull out/rotate through out the coming year... and beyond.For what it's worth, her college is fully funded to the max we're allowed to contribute this year, our retirement is fully funded, we have an 8 month emergency fund, my bills are paid, and this won't be an every year or every child occurrence.nbsp; This is a planned expense, and we're still giving our time and money to charity this year.Flame away if you must...
    No flames here. Our official budget doesn't include the advent house gifts or the stocking. We won't be over a few hundred but we also buy new ie used toys and craft materials fairly often because I like new things.
  • Options
    imageRebecca2024:
    Alright... I'll put on my flame retardant suit.As it stands today, I have spent nearly 1,000 on Birthday and Christmas combined.nbsp; When I'm done, I estimate my total will be closer to 1,300.That being said, there is no "other" family.nbsp; What she gets from us will almost certainly be it.There is no birthday party.nbsp; We'll buy her a cake for the 3 of us, but that's it.Our big ticket item is a 300 kitchen.Most of the toys will last for a large age range. I'm also a SAHM, so if I'm honest, most of the toys are for my benefit too.nbsp; There is only so much shape sorting and ring stacking I can mentally do in one day; I need variety.DD also doesn't get toys, in general, throughout the year.My thinking is that after Birthday amp; Christmas, I'll have toys to pull out/rotate through out the coming year... and beyond.For what it's worth, her college is fully funded to the max we're allowed to contribute this year, our retirement is fully funded, we have an 8 month emergency fund, my bills are paid, and this won't be an every year or every child occurrence.nbsp; This is a planned expense, and we're still giving our time and money to charity this year.Flame away if you must...

No flames here either. I'm actually happy someone is spending more than us, bc I was afraid to put mine on here! Lol! Normally for us, its about 150 per child. BUT, our big kicker this year is that we are buying toddler to twin beds for both boys. When we move, their room will be done in a race car theme and dh found Corvette beds on sale. He has decided they MUST have them. So they will be getting a bed in addition to their toys. It's really not so bad since they can use them for so long and they are practical. So this year, and this year only, our budget will be about 400 including their beds. Dh is scared they will quit making the beds and I think he's more excited about them than the boys will be! But he's been gone working storm work for a month, and since I don't add much to the income, if that's what he wants to splurge on with the extra money, so be it.
  • Options
    imageRebecca2024:

Alright... I'll put on my flame retardant suit.

As it stands today, I have spent nearly $1,000 on Birthday and Christmas combined.  When I'm done, I estimate my total will be closer to $1,300.

That being said, there is no "other" family.  What she gets from us will almost certainly be it.
    There is no birthday party.  We'll buy her a cake for the 3 of us, but that's it.

Our big ticket item is a $300 kitchen.
    Most of the toys will last for a large age range.

I'm also a SAHM, so if I'm honest, most of the toys are for my benefit too.  There is only so much shape sorting and ring stacking I can mentally do in one day; I need variety.

DD also doesn't get toys, in general, throughout the year.
    My thinking is that after Birthday & Christmas, I'll have toys to pull out/rotate through out the coming year... and beyond.

For what it's worth, her college is fully funded (to the max we're allowed to contribute this year), our retirement is fully funded, we have an 8 month emergency fund, my bills are paid, and this won't be an every year or every child occurrence.  This is a planned expense, and we're still giving our time and money to charity this year.

Flame away if you must...

No flames here.  Its not so much a money issue for me but a space issue.  I don't want so many toys that I cannot walk in my living room etc.  I also buy a new toy for DD about once a month. 

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

We are in a bit of a transitional time when it comes to Christmas and gifts, and trying to get more family-centered than gift centered. As a child who received about 50 gifts every year my parents literally spent thousands every year on both my brother and I... The room would be FILLED to the max with wrapped gifts- it makes me ill now to watch the videos because there was so much they spent time and money getting that I don't remember at all!... We are trying to just focus on activities and experiences rather than gifts. That being said, we are doing 3 Santa gifts (cost us about $30 since I got a ton of Melissa and Doug toys at 50% off thru my co-op) and from us, he will be getting an A+A dream blanket (that I also got at 1/2 offthru my co-op so that is an additional $25). For his birthday, I bought him an indoor fisher price slide at the consignment store for about 15 bucks. He has a large extended family, and will likely get more, but we've been very specific that they do NOT go overboard because we don't have the space for every latest kid item. 

Hoping that my kids get the meaning of Christmas a little earlier than I did! :) 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options
    We got him this chair: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045Y1448/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00, it was $39.95 yesterday. In addition to that I got him 2 toys at a consignment sale for $6 together, so our total is about $46. I will probably get him a box of tissues which he loves to pull out and some really crinkly loud wrapping paper and ribbons. That's what he loves most these days ;-) 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
  • Options

imagemtb21:
    imageRebecca2024:
    Alright... I'll put on my flame retardant suit.As it stands today, I have spent nearly 1,000 on Birthday and Christmas combined.nbsp; When I'm done, I estimate my total will be closer to 1,300.Flame away if you must...
    Who cares? If you have the money, you should spend it however you want.

Eh, I saw the $1,500 diamond post... I kept my mouth shut.
    There were quite a few people that told GucciKat (or what ever her sn was) how to spend her money - it even brought people out of the FB woodwork.
    At that time I hadn't spent anywhere near the amount I have now, but I knew our budget was going to be bigger than most.

I at least didn't create a post to aw myself though...

• Options
  • Options

we aren't buying anything for him for christmas or his birthday. we're waiting until he cares a little more/gets it before we spend the money. we have a toy box full of stuff on loan from a friend, he doesn't know the difference.

when people have asked us what he needs, we've said puzzles or to put the money in his 529. 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    I don't plan on spending anything for Christmas.  I am crocheting a bunch of stuffed animals for DD and I already have all of the supplies.  My family will probably go overboard so we don't want to spend money if we don't have to.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemtb21:
    imageRebecca2024:
    Eh, I saw the 1,500 diamond post... I kept my mouth shut.There were quite a few people that told GucciKat or what ever her sn was how to spend her money it even brought people out of the FB woodwork.At that time I hadn't spent anywhere near the amount I have now, but I knew our budget was going to be bigger than most.I at least didn't create a post to aw myself though...
    I saw that too... it was kind of ridiculous, but it's their money. I have also heard some opinions on how much I've spent on my CDs but I just can't get worked up to care about how someone else spends their money.

No flames here, either! But I can see why you expected some after that little incident. That whole thing was pretty ridiculous.

I think I have spent about $50. I don't think I will do more than that. When he gets older it will be more fun for him to get toys, but for now he doesn't even play with the ones he has! He is more into opening and shutting the cupboards and drawers.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I know everyone's budget is different and it was helpful to see other people's thoughts.
  • Options

We'll probably spend $200-$300 between her birthday and Christmas.

We're spending $90 on just her birthday if you include her dress, we're getting her a gold bunny necklace (because she's our bunny rabbit) and the Little People farm. 

Christmas budget also includes her "tree", Pinterest felt tree with ornaments for her to play with, her stocking (we didn't get one for her last year) and her Christmas dress... so not just gifts.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I haven't even though about gifts. I'll probably get her a nice walker and a few smaller toys. She'll get plenty from other people. 

Although I did spend $100 on her birthday cake from my fav bakery. It's for 45 people though so I guess that's not so bad!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"