June 2013 Moms

FTS vs. IPS

who's doing what? 

originally we had FTS(just the single blood test and NT scan) but with the fact there are so many false positive and 10% of cases would be missed we switched to IPS. The difference in finding out is three weeks but i just didn't know if i could survive a false positive and the what ifs...

Re: FTS vs. IPS

• What does IPS involve? 
    Married 07.07.12
    BFP #1 EDD 06.04.13
    Beta #1: 20,560 @ 20DPO, Beta #2: 37,945 @ 22DPO
    U/S #1: 4w6d - too early to see baby, U/S #2: 6w2d - we saw the heartbeat!
    *So thankful to God for blessing us with this miracle*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • blood test with nt scan and another blood test at 15-18 weeks. it has 99% accuracy

• Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of the IPS.  There is a new test called the Materni21 that is just a blood test that is 99% accurate but it's not available in my area yet.  My OB is getting trained on it and thinks it will replace the bloodwork component of the first trimester screening.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that the NT assesses your risk percentages so there is no such thing as a "false positive."

• Not in Canda, the termi is used fully here. i believe IPS is your Quad screen in the united states. Flase positive is when you get a lower ratio...

Disadvantage of FTS

A disadvantage of FTS in the general literature is that it is less accurate than an integrated prenatal screening (IPS) which also screens for Down syndrome.  10-15% of pregnancies with Down syndrome screen negative with an FTS, compared to 10% with IPS.

The false positive rate is also higher with FTS at 4-5%, compared to 2-3% with IPS.

• imageNixi99:

Not in Canda, the termi is used fully here. i believe IPS is your Quad screen in the united states. Flase positive is when you get a lower ratio...

Disadvantage of FTS

A disadvantage of FTS in the general literature is that it is less accurate than an integrated prenatal screening (IPS) which also screens for Down syndrome.  10-15% of pregnancies with Down syndrome screen negative with an FTS, compared to 10% with IPS.

The false positive rate is also higher with FTS at 4-5%, compared to 2-3% with IPS.

I don't doubt that you found the term elsewhere.  A popular pregnancy book I'm reading uses the term "false positive" as well.  It's just a misleading term because if the test comes back 1:3 and further tests show the condition is not present, how does that mean that the first result was "false."  A risk is a risk.

I'll have the quad screening too but not until the second tri.  Most people in the U.S. anyway do that in addition to the first tri screening because finding out an issue in the first tri gives them time to do additional testing while still in the first tri (for various reasons but one of them being the option to terminate before the pregnancy progresses).

• Mine only offers one 24hrs after the NT scan and they give you a ratio like they do with the scan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"