December 2011 Moms
Options

extra hep B shot

My pediatrician called me today and told me that she had given my son an extra hep b shot at his last appt. in Sept. She said everything would be fine and he has been behaving totally normally. I just can't help but worry about long term effects, especially because of all of so many people's concerns with immunizations. Has this happened to anyone else or have any advice? 

Thanks 

:)

Re: extra hep B shot

• Options
    Don't know about infants but I personally have had 7 hep B shots because I am a non-converter.  He will probably be okay. Sorry this happened:(

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we first took Eleanor in for shots, they didn't have proof of getting her Hep B at birth. They said if we couldn't find the paperwork to prove it they would just give her another one (this would have been at her 9month shots). We found the paperwork, but they didn't make it sound like a big deal at all. It's easy to worry about things like this, but sometimes we just have to trust the doctors. I'm sorry they made a mistake though. It'd be nice if things like that never happened.
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Options

imagejesselayne8:
    Don't know about infants but I personally have had 7 hep B shots because I am a non-converter.  He will probably be okay. Sorry this happened:(

Alright; I'll bite.  What is a "non-converter"?  I asked Dr. Google with no luck; it just returned results for catalytic converters... no help.

Am I correct to assume, that the vaccine didn't "take"?
    How does the general person know this?

I had the Hep B series in high school when I wanted to go to a medical camp.  No one ever tested me after that...
    So it's possible that it "took" or that it didn't "take"?

What happens that one would be tested for the results??  Do you work in the medical field or another risky field?

This is just so bizarre to my mind for some reason... Maybe I need sleep.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRebecca2024:

imagejesselayne8:

Alright; I'll bite.  What is a "non-converter"?  I asked Dr. Google with no luck; it just returned results for catalytic converters... no help.

Am I correct to assume, that the vaccine didn't "take"?
    How does the general person know this?

I had the Hep B series in high school when I wanted to go to a medical camp.  No one ever tested me after that...
    So it's possible that it "took" or that it didn't "take"?

What happens that one would be tested for the results??  Do you work in the medical field or another risky field?

This is just so bizarre to my mind for some reason... Maybe I need sleep.

I worked as a nurse prior to having DD. Each place that I worked, checked a titer to see if I have developed immunity. My bloodwork looks like I have never had the vaccine. The same goes for having chicken pox. My titer is also negative. Less than 1 of the population are "nonconverters". The other interesting thing is that I have never ever had a fever in my entire life.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    thanks everyone:)
  • Options
    We've moved several times since DD was born.  Her pediatricians' offices sometimes fail to transfer her records fully.  The last time this happened, her pedi said she would rather give her the shots she didn't have records of over again rather than risk her missing them entirely (I did manage to get the records before this was necessary).  I assume this happens sometimes and there would be more safeguards (or stupid record departments would be better about actually sending records) if it were risky.  But my kids have never had a negative reaction to a vaccine, and I do not personally share the concerns about immunizations that some other people have, so this is not something I am inclined to worry about.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"