Special Needs

Shoe recs for SMO's

I'm having a very hard time finding shoes to fit my DD.  Everything I've tried on, I can't even get her foot half way in the shoe.  She has wide feet, but they're also chubby from top to bottom.  I think that's called the instep. To make matters worse, she's getting SMO's.  We are just waiting for them to come in.  She's not getting sure steps, I think that they are generic??

Re: Shoe recs for SMO's

• I found good luck with Addidas , they have a wide shoes with a deep enough for the brace. Also try sketchers , they have some that are deeper insole.

Just remember to take the shoe insert out and best way to wait till u have the SMOs and take her shopping. 

Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Stride Rite makes an xxw - they are great for wider feet. For the SMOs, wait until you get them. You can take the insole out of the shoe and usually need to go up about .5-1 size though it depends. Tsukoshi shoes are also great - super lightweight and flexible so they expand pretty well to accomodate orthotics...just very $$$.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had good luck with NIke's in wide that were a larger size, I have met a couple of kids who use carter's brand shoes, Stride rites come wider like PP said as well.  P already had a fairly wide foot.  
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• We had good luck with converse and a shoe horn ;)
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• DS2 wears SMOs. He has 2 pair of shoes right now. 1 is New Balance (velcro closure) and is an XXW. The other is Stride Rite and is also an XXW. His shoes are good 2 sizes larger then what he would wear without the SMOs.

ETA: I don't have the shoes with me. His shoes are either XXW or XW. Oh, and agree with the other to take out the insoles. It will give you just a tiny bit more depth.

• My guy does And1 high tops with his.  We were told to take the bottom out of his sneakers.
  • Thanks ladies for your help.  We will be getting them on Tuesday.  So it looks like it's pretty much standard to take the insoles out of the shoes.  She probably needed to do that without even having the smo's.  Her feet are so chunky.
  • I have never found a particular brand that works for DS2. I just take him to all the shoe stores and try things on until we find a pair that works. Becuase the SMO does the stability work, I am not to picky about the brand. He is currently wearing payless shoes that light up when he walks, which he enjoys :) First time around took al ong time to find shoes, but now I can look at shoes and guess if they'll work or not! Seems like the wider, flater 'skater' type shoe works best for us.
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"